Living in Al Ain

Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:25 am
Just Joined

dagklip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Seems a bit low - although we are in a small 3 bed villa that cost 80k, but these are rare and we are the envy of all our friends. I would be asking them for at least 100k, though 130-140k would be perfect. As to areas, most areas apart from central are great - which area are you going to be working in? Al Ain is spread out over a large area, so if you can live near your work or the schools then you will save a whole lot of time and energy travelling! Go onto google earth, have a look at the schools area and you might get an idea of the city's layout. PM me for specific info.
Thanks...suspected 84k was more sort of for nice 1/2 bedroom flat...told them 120k is the gist of what I have read so far....I will push the point. I will be driving out everyday to the "new" farm project out at Sweihan...north off AD road 45 km. They will be providing me with wheels and petrol. Also seems the schools are pretty booked up and with waiting lists. Just feel that I must get out and settle...then consider family coming out later. Best I wait till I get out...but just need to sort the housing allowance out...no point if we end up in a "hole". Rather make the point up front. Thanks!!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol License

Originally Posted by ozkingy
I believe the police station at Khalifa City in Abu Dhabi is the place to go. Might have changed though. I think there's some info on the Abu Dhabi police webpage. Spinneys does have the forms though. Have fun with yet another admin shaft in the UAE!
nope its still the same, kca police station
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol License

Originally Posted by cheeznleez
Do we actually NEED a license? I heard you need one in Dubai, but not in Abu Dhabi Emirate.
YES! you require one to legally transport in your car, you need one to legally consume it in hotels, you need one to legally consume in your house, you need one to legally consume in other peoples houses. if you were transporting stuff back and were involved in a car accident etc and policeman looked in boot of car he would ask you for your licence so to be safe you need one, but thats not always possible, as some local companies will not issue you the necessary documentation to get the licence, but if you can i would do it for piece of mind.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

traverse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm about to venture into Oman for the first time and have 2 questions, please.

How long is the drive from Al-Ain to Muscat on the coastal road? And are there any nice resorts/hotels worth visiting on the way to Muscat? Any tips much appreciated!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Seems a bit low - although we are in a small 3 bed villa that cost 80k, but these are rare and we are the envy of all our friends. I would be asking them for at least 100k, though 130-140k would be perfect. As to areas, most areas apart from central are great - which area are you going to be working in? Al Ain is spread out over a large area, so if you can live near your work or the schools then you will save a whole lot of time and energy travelling! Go onto google earth, have a look at the schools area and you might get an idea of the city's layout. PM me for specific info.
Prices are coming down though. I just saw a five year old 4 bed villa near the Hilton Roundabout for 120k, a brand new 4 bed villa in Zakher for 120k, likewise a massive 5 bed villa near the new Spinney's Mall for 120k. Those were the asking prices, probably can negotiate a small reduction. So I am guessing a 3 bed villa for 100k should be possible?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

dagklip is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input.....I am really getting quite mixed messages...the agencies have 3 bed villas at 80-90k but exp pats all say 100k plus. I tend to go with the ex pat's opinion, as they are the ones on the ground running around. I am due to arrive in Alain in 3 weeks ...think I will run around and see the size and quality. My brother who has spent 15 years in Saudi and UAE now in Bahrain, advises not to get a huge villa as it is not necessary and then one has to furnish it. I will also possibly investigating taking a 1 bed apartment for 6 months and only look at the 3 bed villa for April '11. The family are not in any rush to rip up their roots, leave the farm, 9 pets, schools, friends and fly over.
I have a son who is an exceptional violin player and he is being taught by a top teacher. At his level it is like breathing oxygen 3 times a week and the bond is quite extraordinary. 6 Months by myself will not be the end of the world....we did a contract in Seychelles way back so have a good idea about the transitions and pains etc.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default COFFEE MORNING IN THE EVENING - SUNDAY 5TH SEPTEMBER 2010

Hi to all newcomers and Al Ain veterans alike

we held a series of successful coffee evenings before the summer for those who can't make the morning ones (or even for those who can make the morning ones and just love chatting and drinking coffee!).

It's about time to start again, so we will meet at the Coffee Hut in Al Jimi Mall (near the bookshop at the back of the foodcourt), between 7.30pm and 9pm this Sunday. All ladies welcome, hope you can come along
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dagklip
Thanks for the input.....I am really getting quite mixed messages...the agencies have 3 bed villas at 80-90k but exp pats all say 100k plus. I tend to go with the ex pat's opinion, as they are the ones on the ground running around. I am due to arrive in Alain in 3 weeks ...think I will run around and see the size and quality. My brother who has spent 15 years in Saudi and UAE now in Bahrain, advises not to get a huge villa as it is not necessary and then one has to furnish it. I will also possibly investigating taking a 1 bed apartment for 6 months and only look at the 3 bed villa for April '11. The family are not in any rush to rip up their roots, leave the farm, 9 pets, schools, friends and fly over.
I have a son who is an exceptional violin player and he is being taught by a top teacher. At his level it is like breathing oxygen 3 times a week and the bond is quite extraordinary. 6 Months by myself will not be the end of the world....we did a contract in Seychelles way back so have a good idea about the transitions and pains etc.
One reason for the mixed messages is that until recently accommodation costs in Dubai and Abu Dhabi had become very high. People decided to rent in Al-Ain and work in Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Now that rents on the coast fell (by 50% or so) this extra demand for Al-Ain housing has disappeared. The local employers are back in charge of the rental market. UAE University is the largest employer in Al-Ain and they decided that they will pay what they used to pay before the peak. It might take a little while for the local landlords to adapt but they don't really have a say in the matter if they want a tenant.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

kmann is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, can anyone recommend a good English speaking Osteopath here in Al Ain? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Hambone70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tridog
Does anyone know of a good mountain biking and offroad running area in Al Ain?
The Al Ain wadis are challenging and fun for biking, although some parts are hard going with the recent lack of rain. We're going to start biking in Oman. Drop me a PM if you're interested!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all
Default Identity Card

Hi there,

I have another quick question, this time regarding the ID card. I went the other day and they said I had to go to a typing centre of some sort. I live in Al Towayya and work at the airport, could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by frequentflyer1234; Sep 6th 2010 at 4:33 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:05 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't you consider breaking this down into different threads?

Aww, what the hell...yer happy!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Identity Card

Originally Posted by frequentflyer1234
Hi there,

I have another quick question, this time regarding the ID card. I went the other day and they said I had to go to a typing centre of some sort. I live in Al Towayya and work at the airport, could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance
You can find a list of typing services here
http://www.emiratesid.ae/en/process-...tion-plan.aspx

I think the ones near the Al Safa Market would be the closest, I think they are quite near Al Jimi/Al Massa apartments (but maybe someone can correct me here?) Sorry I can't be more specific but we got ours a year ago where the whole process took place at EIDA. Good luck
Old Sep 7th 2010, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

For All those that don't know, Tuesday Coffee Morning is at the Golf Club at 10am on Tuesdays, until the end of Eid, when it will move back to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf in Al Jimi Mall!!
Shammy
Old Sep 7th 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Also for those wanting to join in the new Rugby Season is upon us! Adults training has started, Mon & Wed 7pm start. Touch training starts Thursday 6:30pm Kids and 7pm Adults. Youth Rugby starts on 20th 5pm Mon and Weds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.