Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Hepatitus B vaccine for school age children? Anyone got any experience of this?

Hepatitus B vaccine for school age children? Anyone got any experience of this?

Old May 29th 2007, 2:49 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hepatitus B vaccine for school age children? Anyone got any experience of this?

Just discovered (yes I know I should have read about this beforehand) that the kids will need Hepatitus B jabs before they start school in CA. Dept of Ed says 3 innoculations, but does anyone know if they need to have ALL 3 before they can start school. Anyone got their own experiences of this? If so, no way will they be starting school before Xmas ......... preparation is the key as they tell me
Old May 29th 2007, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hepatitus B vaccine for school age children? Anyone got any experience of this?

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
Just discovered (yes I know I should have read about this beforehand) that the kids will need Hepatitus B jabs before they start school in CA. Dept of Ed says 3 innoculations, but does anyone know if they need to have ALL 3 before they can start school. Anyone got their own experiences of this? If so, no way will they be starting school before Xmas ......... preparation is the key as they tell me
Most likely each state will be different My little man started school with the first one only, but the school was right on my case to make sure he finished the course of three.
Old May 29th 2007, 3:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hepatitus B vaccine for school age children? Anyone got any experience of this?

aye, really depends on the school as to how strict they are, but it's usually a state requirement to have them...if you had the chance of getting it done in the UK, that would help keep the costs down
Old May 29th 2007, 3:17 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Most likely each state will be different My little man started school with the first one only, but the school was right on my case to make sure he finished the course of three.
That was the same for my youngest too We had to have an appointment already made for the second and gave the date to the school nurse so she knew the time frame.
Old May 29th 2007, 3:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

As long as they've started the course, they'll be fine.

Get as much as possible done in the UK before you go.

We were not charged for it even though, theoretically they could have because it is not a required vaccination in the UK.

Also bring all your vax records with you in case you'll ever want to file for AOS.
Old May 29th 2007, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

soap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to behold

As Elvira said try and get the first ones done in the UK and then book the last one over here. The last one is not until six months after the first so the school should be fine if you explain - thats what I did and just took proof in once they had the third jab.

Elvira is right about bringing records - my boys school wanted the exact dates.

Soap addict
Old May 29th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

My little lad has had the first two doses both carried out since Feb of this year. He got the second one in March and has to wait six months before he can have the third. I had to register him for Kindergarten two days after the second dose was given back in March. The school nurse asked me why he had not had the third but I simply explained that he has to wait six months before he can have the third which will mean September and school starts in August. She told me just to bring a copy of the sheet to her when he had received it and that it would not stop him from starting school.
Old May 29th 2007, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

They are totally OTT about shot's, one morning I was helping out at school when they horded all the little one's out of there class's because there shot's were not right up to date, some of them were crying as it's not nice to be singled out while they were kept together in the office while having to wait for one of there Parents to pick them up, work or not....it was a case of drop everything and get the child done before being aloud back to school I felt very upset myself that day
Old May 29th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

They are totally OTT about shot's, one morning I was helping out at school when they horded all the little one's out of there class's because there shot's were not right up to date, some of them were crying as it's not nice to be singled out while they were kept together in the office while having to wait for one of there Parents to pick them up, work or not....it was a case of drop everything and get the child done before being aloud back to school I felt very upset myself that day
OMG! That is just crazy. I would have been in tears if that had happened. Poor little mites.
Old May 29th 2007, 4:52 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

The nurse at my daughter's school was pretty anal about shot records. Fortunately she has never heard of the magic shot physician Dr Ph. Otto Shop.

Last edited by g1ant; May 29th 2007 at 4:55 pm.
Old May 29th 2007, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

When you get here, try to find a county health clinic and have them done there - often kids will be free - adults pay a much smaller fee than they would at the doctors. Last time I checked, I think doctors charge upwards of $70 PER injection.
Old May 29th 2007, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

My favorite is when they have lockdowns because some lunatic is on the way to the school with a gun and they tell them not to tell their parents, as has happened twice to a friend of mine .:curse:
Old May 29th 2007, 5:04 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
The nurse at my daughter's school was pretty anal about shot records. Fortunately she has never heard of the magic shot physician Dr Ph. Otto Shop.
thanks for all the info everyone. i will phone our "chosen" school to check their policy. got an appointment for the kids to have their first jabs on thursday, the next one we should be able to get here too as that will be 2 months from the first and will be a couple of days before we leave. i have had to pay for the full course of 3 for both of them = £90 in total but probably still cheaper than in the US. I wonder if i will be allowed to bring the last dose into the US for that to be administered 4 months thereafter, probably not.

NOT looking forward to taking two children at the same time for their jabs, both girls, both NOT brave!
Old May 29th 2007, 5:06 pm
In Orange County, CA.

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
My favorite is when they have lockdowns because some lunatic is on the way to the school with a gun and they tell them not to tell their parents, as has happened twice to a friend of mine .:curse:
F@ING @ELL - where abouts did that happen????
Old May 29th 2007, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

F@ING @ELL - where abouts did that happen????
In a school in the posher part of town. It happens all over though.

*shrug*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.