Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

temporary resident permit-please advise

temporary resident permit-please advise

Old May 26th 2007, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold
Default temporary resident permit-please advise

Can someone please explain to me what this is all about? This is not to be confused with a 'temporary resident visa', which I believe is different. I am talking about the permit that apparently allows someone who is inadmissable to remain in Canada. There seems to be very little info. Maybe the experts or someone with similar experience could help?

Please see my post below for background info about my case.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453403

If my husband has a police caution that 'expires' (reaches the 5 year mark) in September of 2008, I am thinking that he could/would be deemed criminally inadmissable upon us applying for sponsorship/PR, if we applied now with police forms that show the caution. I am thinking this because the offence, though he was only cautioned in england, is actually an indictable offence with a maximum 7 year sentence here in Canada (cultivation of cannabis).

So, if we want to stay here in Canada, what are our options?

Could the temporary resident permit apply to our situation?

I really need help with this.

Thanks

Kellie

Last edited by cancov; May 26th 2007 at 11:11 pm.
Old May 27th 2007, 10:04 am
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all
Default Re: temporary resident permit-please advise

Originally Posted by cancov
Can someone please explain to me what this is all about? This is not to be confused with a 'temporary resident visa', which I believe is different. I am talking about the permit that apparently allows someone who is inadmissable to remain in Canada. There seems to be very little info. Maybe the experts or someone with similar experience could help?

Please see my post below for background info about my case.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453403

If my husband has a police caution that 'expires' (reaches the 5 year mark) in September of 2008, I am thinking that he could/would be deemed criminally inadmissable upon us applying for sponsorship/PR, if we applied now with police forms that show the caution. I am thinking this because the offence, though he was only cautioned in england, is actually an indictable offence with a maximum 7 year sentence here in Canada (cultivation of cannabis).

So, if we want to stay here in Canada, what are our options?

Could the temporary resident permit apply to our situation?

I really need help with this.

Thanks

Kellie
Try to get a ministers permit....also a caution is not a conviction, so why don't you at the very least apply for your husbands police record from the county he was living in back in the UK and then your get a better understanding of what to expect.

My preference is out of Canada sponsorship, meaning your both back in the UK, but if you have a Ministers permit, you may be able to do this inside canada. This kind of permit would allow him to remain in Canada for 3 years.

For landing your have to cross the border and then renter Canada

But for sure, make friends with an immigration officer as really what you want to do or trying to do is circumvent the normal process, which in some cases can be done.

http://www.pardons.org may offer some advise as well.

rgds

john

Last edited by dozy_muppet03; May 27th 2007 at 10:28 am.
Old May 27th 2007, 1:30 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Minister's Permit doesn't exist anymore, for over 5 years now. We have a Temporary Resident Permit now which is not an exact replacement of Minister's Permit as different rules apply now (much stricter).

TRP will not be issued for 3 years, at least not initially - you are again refering to a non-existing anymore Minister's Permit. Law was changed as of 2002-01-01, over 5 years ago...

Canadian pardon has absolutely nothing to do here as such applies only to convictions in Canada.

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03
Try to get a ministers permit....also a caution is not a conviction, so why don't you at the very least apply for your husbands police record from the county he was living in back in the UK and then your get a better understanding of what to expect.

My preference is out of Canada sponsorship, meaning your both back in the UK, but if you have a Ministers permit, you may be able to do this inside canada. This kind of permit would allow him to remain in Canada for 3 years.

For landing your have to cross the border and then renter Canada

But for sure, make friends with an immigration officer as really what you want to do or trying to do is circumvent the normal process, which in some cases can be done.

http://www.pardons.org may offer some advise as well.

rgds

john
Old May 27th 2007, 3:23 pm
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Minister's Permit doesn't exist anymore, for over 5 years now. We have a Temporary Resident Permit now which is not an exact replacement of Minister's Permit as different rules apply now (much stricter).

TRP will not be issued for 3 years, at least not initially - you are again refering to a non-existing anymore Minister's Permit. Law was changed as of 2002-01-01, over 5 years ago...

Canadian pardon has absolutely nothing to do here as such applies only to convictions in Canada.
Absolutely agree Andrew, but more of point of contact to possibly understand the ramifications of entering Canada without maybe disclosing the possibility that a criminal record exists and thus services may then become viable.

Thanks for clearing up Ministers permit though.

rgds

john
Old May 27th 2007, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

I appreciate the posts, thanks.

So, is there anybody out there who has ANY experience of applying for PR with a police caution?

I could really use the views of people who have had a similar experience.
Thanks

Kellie