Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Not sure what to file, I-751 getting frustrated

Not sure what to file, I-751 getting frustrated

Old Apr 5th 2007, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

anglwngs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not sure what to file, I-751 getting frustrated

Hi, My son and I have been here in the US on a PR card for 2 yrs, ( Married a US citizen ) we went through a lawyer and such, we have been told that now we need to file soon as my 2 yrs will be up, THe Lawyer we used to file these papers is no longer doing this, so he sent us to another one that is doing this, and he (lawyer) has send us a link to these,,, G-28, I-130, I-751, those are for my Husband to fill out, mine are I-130, I-751, ok this is where i get confused, I have read some of the threads,, Do we need to go through a Lawyer, or can we just do these ourselves and exactly which ones do we need to file,, I am totally lost,, they seem to be easy enough and not that hard this time, can someone give me some advice or just tell me exactly what i need to file for my 10yr PR card,,,, thanks,,
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Not sure what to file, I-751 getting frustrated

Originally Posted by anglwngs
Hi, My son and I have been here in the US on a PR card for 2 yrs, ( Married a US citizen ) we went through a lawyer and such, we have been told that now we need to file soon as my 2 yrs will be up, THe Lawyer we used to file these papers is no longer doing this, so he sent us to another one that is doing this, and he (lawyer) has send us a link to these,,, G-28, I-130, I-751, those are for my Husband to fill out, mine are I-130, I-751, ok this is where i get confused, I have read some of the threads,, Do we need to go through a Lawyer, or can we just do these ourselves and exactly which ones do we need to file,, I am totally lost,, they seem to be easy enough and not that hard this time, can someone give me some advice or just tell me exactly what i need to file for my 10yr PR card,,,, thanks,,
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1____
Old Apr 5th 2007, 3:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

All you need to do is go to www.uscis.gov, click on Forms, find I-751. Print out the instructions and the form. Read the instructions carefully, fill out the form, and then send everything to the correct service center.

Your package must include:
Form I-751
Fee payment of $205 plus $70 for biometrics
Evidence of your ongoing marriage (the instructions will tell you what to use for evidence)
Photocopy of front and back of your current green card.

You must mail this package within the 90 days just before your 2-year GC expiration date. It's pretty simple, and many people do this without a lawyer...I am just finishing up ours to mail off in a couple of weeks.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 5th 2007, 4:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes ... leave this lawyer to someone else, preferrably someone you dislike.

You have residency status ... known as Conditional Permanent Residency ... CPR. You only need to complete form I-751. Nothing else. Don't forget your $70 biometric fee.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 4:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The reason everyone's eyebrows went up (the "yikes" factor) is the unusual request for forms that are not required for this process.

#1--Make sure you know that you are asking for the correct service

#2--Make sure the lawyer has some clue about what is involved--s/he should give you a break down of what to expect.

If you don't already know the answers to these questions, read the link Boiler gave you, and state it here, the way you understand it.

Others will be able to tell you if the lawyer is telling you the correct answers.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 4:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, My son and I have been here in the US on a PR card for 2 yrs, ( Married a US citizen ) we went through a lawyer and such, we have been told that now we need to file soon as my 2 yrs will be up,
I noticed in another thread that you got your GC in Sept 05. I just want to make sure you understand you can only file the I-751 during the 90 days prior to the expiration of your GC. If you file too early, your application will be rejected, and USCIS may keep the fee. So don't file too early.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2007, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

anglwngs is an unknown quantity at this point

THanks for the info, after I sent you all that message, I have just recieved and email from that other Lawyer (the one our first lawyer mentioned) he sent me a email with a link to manymany questions and stuff, another question, ,, since I am a canadian citizen, and not yet a American Citzen, I am just a resident of this country, I was told that I need to go back to canada to get a passport, Is there any other way I can get one other than going to canada to get it,, I went to the Administrations office here in town and they sent me to a 1-800 number to the Candian councilet, sorry bad spelling, which by the way, they dont speak to you, you have to send something in writting, jez, totally lost, any ideas on this, thanks,,
Old Apr 5th 2007, 5:11 pm

THanks for the info, after I sent you all that message, I have just recieved and email from that other Lawyer (the one our first lawyer mentioned) he sent me a email with a link to manymany questions and stuff....
What's the link? If you don't mind posting it, that is. I'd be curious to see what all the manymany questions are. The I-751 does not have very many questions on it.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2007, 5:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

THanks for the info, after I sent you all that message, I have just recieved and email from that other Lawyer (the one our first lawyer mentioned) he sent me a email with a link to manymany questions and stuff, another question, ,, since I am a canadian citizen, and not yet a American Citzen, I am just a resident of this country, I was told that I need to go back to canada to get a passport, Is there any other way I can get one other than going to canada to get it,, I went to the Administrations office here in town and they sent me to a 1-800 number to the Candian councilet, sorry bad spelling, which by the way, they dont speak to you, you have to send something in writting, jez, totally lost, any ideas on this, thanks,,

Please don't give this lawyer any money yet.. you do not have to go out of the US and get a passport for the I-751, not based on what you told us here.

If you want a Canadian passport you may ultimately have to go to Canada to get it, (I know CA has some unique passport rules) but it is not required for I-751.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that I need to go back to canada to get a passport
I am also a Canadian... your lawyer is an idiot! Drop him now before he give you more bad advice. You can get far better advice from the good people in this forum... and it's free... and it's given by those who have not only been through the immigration process (unlike the lawyer, most likely), we've lived to tell the tale!

You don't have to go to Canada to get your passport renewed. Go here: http://www.pptc.gc.ca/usa/index.aspx?lang=e. I've already renewed my passport once while living in the US and I'm going to have to renew it again later this year. Unlike US passports, Canadian ones are only valid for 5 years... more's the pity, but I guess it's good income.

Edit - I keep saying "renew my passport", when I really mean "get a new passport". Canadian passports are not renewable.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Apr 5th 2007 at 6:26 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 6:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can renew [edit] <get a new passport what Ian said> your Canadian passport by mail and the information is given at the Canadian Consulate's website. It is quite detailed and you will need an affidavit from a person of professional standing who has known you for x number of years in order to just renew a Canadian passport. Yes, I am married to a Canadian [now US citizen as well].

Here is the link.

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-a...default-en.asp

Note you do not need the Canadian passport for the USCIS but if you wish to travel outside of the US you will need it.

Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:46 pm
Mh

In article <[email protected]> ,
Rete <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> THanks for the info, after I sent you all that message, I have just
>> recieved and email from that other Lawyer (the one our first lawyer
>> mentioned) he sent me a email with a link to manymany questions and
>> stuff, another question, ,, since I am a canadian citizen, and not yet
>> a American Citzen, I am just a resident of this country, I was told
>> that I need to go back to canada to get a passport, Is there any other
>> way I can get one other than going to canada to get it,, I went to the
>> Administrations office here in town and they sent me to a 1-800 number
>> to the Candian councilet, sorry bad spelling, which by the way, they
>> dont speak to you, you have to send something in writting, jez,
>> totally lost, any ideas on this, thanks,,
>
>You can renew [edit] <get a new passport what Ian said> your Canadian
>passport by mail and the information is given at the Canadian
>Consulate's website. It is quite detailed and you will need an affidavit
>from a person of professional standing who has known you for x number of
>years in order to just renew a Canadian passport. Yes, I am married to a
>Canadian [now US citizen as well].
>
>Here is the link.
>
>http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-a...default-en.asp
>
>Note you do not need the Canadian passport for the USCIS but if you wish
>to travel outside of the US you will need it.

So, what if I decide to travel to Canada with my (sometime in the future) US
passport instead (when I a dual-citizen)? Mainly because it's annoying to
have to renew a passport every 5 years for me and baby...

MH

Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:02 pm
Concierge

YOu should enter your country with that country's passport.

Originally Posted by Mh
In article <[email protected]> ,
Rete <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> THanks for the info, after I sent you all that message, I have just
>> recieved and email from that other Lawyer (the one our first lawyer
>> mentioned) he sent me a email with a link to manymany questions and
>> stuff, another question, ,, since I am a canadian citizen, and not yet
>> a American Citzen, I am just a resident of this country, I was told
>> that I need to go back to canada to get a passport, Is there any other
>> way I can get one other than going to canada to get it,, I went to the
>> Administrations office here in town and they sent me to a 1-800 number
>> to the Candian councilet, sorry bad spelling, which by the way, they
>> dont speak to you, you have to send something in writting, jez,
>> totally lost, any ideas on this, thanks,,
>
>You can renew [edit] <get a new passport what Ian said> your Canadian
>passport by mail and the information is given at the Canadian
>Consulate's website. It is quite detailed and you will need an affidavit
>from a person of professional standing who has known you for x number of
>years in order to just renew a Canadian passport. Yes, I am married to a
>Canadian [now US citizen as well].
>
>Here is the link.
>
>http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-a...default-en.asp
>
>Note you do not need the Canadian passport for the USCIS but if you wish
>to travel outside of the US you will need it.

So, what if I decide to travel to Canada with my (sometime in the future) US
passport instead (when I a dual-citizen)? Mainly because it's annoying to
have to renew a passport every 5 years for me and baby...

MH