Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Child Benefit. Do You Still Get It?

Child Benefit. Do You Still Get It?

Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

chay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant future
Default Child Benefit. Do You Still Get It?

Hi everyone well we have now got 6 weeks until we fly and a week before all our belongings are being shipped. Just a quick question dose any body know if you still get child benefits in NZ if not when should i let them no we are immigrating?if anyone could help me would be grateful
Kerrie
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Benefit. Do You Still Get It?

Originally Posted by chay and kerrie
Hi everyone well we have now got 6 weeks until we fly and a week before all our belongings are being shipped. Just a quick question dose any body know if you still get child benefits in NZ if not when should i let them no we are immigrating?if anyone could help me would be grateful
Kerrie
Hi, not sure if your saying child benifit from the UK or from the NZ government, but I can tell you that even though we notified the UK child benifit people we still had to send money back to them as they said we'd been overpaid, as for NZ child benifit as far as I'm aware we won't be entitled to any until we have been here a year, but if someone can clear that one up that would be good.

Good luck, with all your plans, and make sure you leave a bit of cash in your UK bank account and bring a cheque book, because they weren't the only people that said we were overpaid and wanted money back (family tax credit) need I say more?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Child Benefit. Do You Still Get It?

Hey Kerrie

The short answer is no you don't get it unless you cheat the system and don't tell them you are emigratimg.

It brings in a whole moral, ethical and legal debate about honesty, personally I prefer to sleep at night.

Tell them you are moving and the date, unless the rules have changed you will continue to get it until the day you leave.

Last edited by Nice Guy; Mar 14th 2007 at 8:42 am. Reason: Spilling mistake
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex Katikati, Omokoroa now Mildenhall UK :-(, 12 days and counting till we are back in NZ!!
tease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nice

Originally Posted by chay and kerrie
Kerrie

i think that you may claim it if you have return tickets for 6 months - seem to think there has been a previous thread
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We told them we were emigrating but they still cocked up and then told me we owed them money.

I also never received a tax return from IR and then got a final demand letter thing this January from them... I told them Id never received one and they said that was not an excuse not to do it??!! My OH got sent a tax return but then got a letter saying he didnt have to complete it after all.... youve guessed it..... yes he got sent a final demand too in January.... so he filled his in and I printed off the bits I needed from their website and filled it in and we both sent them off. OH rang them to make sure they received it in time and they said yes..... so a week later he gets a bill from them saying he was late filing it and he owes them £100....arghhh

We filled in P80s (I think thats what they were) and sent them back after getting here.... I rang them and asked if they wanted us to fill in anything else... they said no thats all. A few months later we get letters from our Property Management company saying they cant pay us all the rent as we havnt filled in a P80 and a Non-Residents Landlord form.

Talk about peed off with it all.

So the moral to this waffling is.... even if you inform them they wont listen and wont give you the info you need.... and will totally cock everything up!!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

chay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies.sounds like whatever i do is going to be the wrong thing? might just ring them all and tell them that we are immigrating cause this country has lost the plot!! When do you think i should start ringing them all? sorry for all the questions but my head is spinning trying to pack and don't no where to start first,the days are just flying by.
thanks again and have a good day can't wait to be out there.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Probably give them as much notice as you can.

I remember those last few weeks.... total chaos...... but it did all fall into place and the actual move as a complete doddle.

I wish you luck with it all!!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:55 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

We informed them way before our departure date. We have a letter informing us of their overpayment..................
I am SO busy these days that I have not found the time to refund them for THEIR mistake of one child's overpayment by one week....
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:57 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

So just out of interest.

What are the rules ref. NZ child benefit?

ie How long do you have to live there or do you have to have PR or whatever?

Cheers
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
So just out of interest.

What are the rules ref. NZ child benefit?

ie How long do you have to live there or do you have to have PR or whatever?

Cheers
I have no idea sorry but Id like to know as we have just had our second child. I really ought to get onto the website and have a look.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:00 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
I really ought to get onto the website and have a look.
Yes you did
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Yes you did
I know.... I will get round to it sometime. I think I probably need to sort bubba an IRD number before I can claim and I havnt done that yet.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Dear Madam

Thank you for your email received on 18 January 2007.

Once we receive the application with all the relevant documents
it can take 2 to 3 weeks to process before payments start.

New Zealand does not have a universal child benefit that
everyone is entitled to receive.

I hope this has answered your query.

Yours sincerely

S Poa
Services Officer
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey there, this is a reply i got when i e-mailed NZ gov site about family assitance/support, we have PR and i told them this on my enquiry. Hope it helps. Debborah.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

There is no Child Benefit in NZ, but if you have PR and are working, you can apply for Working Families Tax Credit thing... um link here..... http://www.workingforfamilies.govt.nz/

If you're particularly poor, you can also apply for a Childcare Subsidy
http://www.workingforfamilies.govt.nz/childcare-costs/

They also mention Accommodation Allowance, but I think you really have to be on the bones of your arse before you can get that one...
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

I have just spoken to child benefit international enquiry line in the UK, 0845 302 1454.

They said if we notify them about 4 weeks before we leave they will send a form and stop the payments the monday after we leave. they will send us a letter that we can take to NZ. Apparently they have a reciprocal agreement with NZ. For the first 12 months we can take this letter to them and they should start payments from the monday we left uk. After 12 months or once you are a residence I think you are then entitles for local NZ family tax credits.

see: http://www.ird.govt.nz/individuals/