Reload this Page >

Cooking with Gas

Cooking with Gas

Old Mar 8th 2007, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

MoonIce will become famous soon enoughMoonIce will become famous soon enough
Smile Cooking with Gas

Hi Everyone,
I'm a new here, but I'm hoping you will be able to help me.

Hubbie and I are hoping to move to Edmonton and I'm wondering what the chances are of being able to purchase a full gas cooker? So far, all we've seen is gas hob and electric oven or all electric. All ideas and help appreciated.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 5:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking with Gas

Originally Posted by MoonIce
Hi Everyone,

Hubbie and I are hoping to move to Edmonton and I'm wondering what the chances are of being able to purchase a full gas cooker? So far, all we've seen is gas hob and electric oven or all electric. All ideas and help appreciated.
We just purchased and installed one of these:

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000F...odeid=15867831

I'm sure they'd send one to Edmonton. Be aware that they call them "ranges" here.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 8th 2007 at 5:12 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

No problem - so long as you have a gas line to the kitchen (or even house in rare cases); not all homes do.

We built one and had only electric installed to the kitchen, sometines you find both - sometimes just one or the other. My current kitchen has a gas hob and an electric oven (separate from each other), the previous one only electric.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 5:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgal
No problem - so long as you have a gas line to the kitchen (or even house in rare cases); not all homes do.

We built one and had only electric installed to the kitchen, sometines you find both - sometimes just one or the other. My current kitchen has a gas hob and an electric oven (separate from each other), the previous one only electric.
We had a gas line run to the kitchen in our house when Mrs_P decided she wanted a gas range.

We have an all gas range manufactured by General Electric similar to this but ours is close to ten years old now.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
We don't have a gas line and the previous occupants somehow cooked without gas (or lived on sushi). We had the local Hank Hill install a propane tank. The only problem with that being finding a company willing to do the installation for just a stove; a stove only uses one tank of gas or so per year.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:48 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I have a gas hob and electric oven, which is a huge step up from cooking with just electric in my old place.

FWIW in my experience of househunting cooking with gas seems to be a lot less popular round these parts...
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:52 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I have a gas hob and electric oven, which is a huge step up from cooking with just electric in my old place.

FWIW in my experience of househunting cooking with gas seems to be a lot less popular round these parts...

Not very popular at all.

Which is quite confusing especially here in Alberta were there is an abundance of natural gas.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:31 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we had a gas line run into the kitchen so I could have a gas cooker I have a GE Profile 5 burner gas oven and a little electric oven in the bottom (where the warming drawer usually is, mine is an oven). Apart from some unnecessary smoke and a flame roasted turkey at crimbo I haven't had any probs, it's a self cleaner and being convection that is a good thing 'cause it gets really mucky, not sure if I would reccomend it but I don't complain about it like I did with the electric nightmares I have used here. Apparently according to the repair man that came out after the flame roasted turkey incident, GE make the best gas cookers
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

we have a maytag gemini. Its fine but not fantastic. 2 ovens, 5 burners. One oven has convection heat one has a broiler.

Watch out for daft design on the stoves, ie controls at the back so you scald your arm trying to adjust anything, plus with ours when you open the oven door it falls to the floor, crushing your toes if they are in the way!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

I was lucky in buying my house from an English lady. She'd had a new gas cooker put in already!!! I was so pleased because it is very rare to see gas cookers......I can't believe the number of people that come to my place and are scared of it!!!!!

Cathie
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I know it's all a matter of personal preference, but I can't understand how people still cook with a gas oven. IMHO, anything you put in a gas oven is unevenly cooked and never stays at a constant temperature (that's been my experience with using them at school in cooking class, in my first apartment, at my in-law's house, etc.). An electric oven (particularly one that has a fan) heats much more evenly (more noticed when baking than anything else) and is easier to keep at a constant temperature.

However, having said that, I am a huge fan of gas hobs over electric. Our new house has a smooth top electric hob, and while it does work, and does a reasonable job, I'm an inpatient cook (particularly when I'm making something in a hurry) and electric hobs take quite a while to heat up (and a long time to cool down), and are more difficult to reduce the temperature (it takes a while).
Old Mar 10th 2007, 12:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
I know it's all a matter of personal preference, but I can't understand how people still cook with a gas oven. IMHO, anything you put in a gas oven is unevenly cooked and never stays at a constant temperature (that's been my experience with using them at school in cooking class, in my first apartment, at my in-law's house, etc.). An electric oven (particularly one that has a fan) heats much more evenly (more noticed when baking than anything else) and is easier to keep at a constant temperature.

However, having said that, I am a huge fan of gas hobs over electric. Our new house has a smooth top electric hob, and while it does work, and does a reasonable job, I'm an inpatient cook (particularly when I'm making something in a hurry) and electric hobs take quite a while to heat up (and a long time to cool down), and are more difficult to reduce the temperature (it takes a while).
Get a dual fuel stove then; gas burners and an electric oven, they're common enough.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Oh, I know they are available. There isn't a gas line into our kitchen, and while I prefer it, I can't justify the expense of running one around the house, plus replacing the cooker
Old Mar 11th 2007, 12:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Oh, I know they are available. There isn't a gas line into our kitchen, and while I prefer it, I can't justify the expense of running one around the house, plus replacing the cooker
I was surprised, the gas set up here was about $500, less than I expected and certainly worth it in our opinion. There was no cooker though so something had to be purchased (the supply of charcoal for the barbecue being too erractic in winter).
Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:22 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Convection gas - got a fan in it, cooks evenly and quickly just makes a big mess - self clean button! Cost less than $500 for a gas line, hubby thinks it's worth it doesn't have to listen to me complaing about blinking electric and he doesn't have to smell burnt food all the time