Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Telling Friends and Family...

Telling Friends and Family...

Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telling Friends and Family...

Absolutely.

I'm already gathering my list of 'what's wrong with this damn country' together.
That way, when I'm in the old folks home, I will have ready material to witter about.
Quite looking forward to being the mad old bird in the purple hat, with her dress tucked into the back of her knickers, smelling of single malt, telling outrageous stories and disturbing the peace.

Thinking about it, pretty much like now really!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
with her dress tucked into the back of her knickers, smelling of single malt, telling outrageous stories and disturbing the peace.

Ooops, been there, done that!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

cmk03 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all of your comments!

I'm sure they will come around. My sisters response was the most funny, she was not upset that I was considering immigration, just that I was considering doing it before she had time to tell everyone that she wants to immigrated to Auzz!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cmk03
Thank you for all of your comments!

I'm sure they will come around. My sisters response was the most funny, she was not upset that I was considering immigration, just that I was considering doing it before she had time to tell everyone that she wants to immigrated to Auzz!
Sibling rivalry - nothing beats it !!!!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 5:08 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with MIL's???

Does anyone else feel that the husbands mother is often the most affected. Could it be be s'thing to do with mother-son apron strings....?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
What is it with MIL's???

Does anyone else feel that the husbands mother is often the most affected. Could it be be s'thing to do with mother-son apron strings....?

I cant grumble about my MIL - she is fantastic - it's my mom that is causing all the trouble and being bolshy !!! Wonder where I get it from ?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with MIL's???

I know that my MIL has one purely selfish motive for not wanting us to go ........... she said to my hubby that she has no-one to look after her when she's old. This is a woman who has a husband, a daughter who lives nearby and lots of very good friends.

I don't understand it because she is far closer to her daughter, but then we have children and my SIL doesn't. MIL is also into 3 generations living together! I already told her to her face she would never live under the same roof as me (it would never work as she wants to be the matriarch and try and rule the roost). This was after her going on and on about us converting our attic into a nice apartment for her with velux windows! Cheeky mare!

Arrggggghhh, no-one mention MIL's on any more threads please!!!

Where's my valium LOL!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

sorry....i just could not resist being dragged into this conversation yet again! as you all may know by now, we are going thru the self-same predicament being talked about here. for those of you who are new to our woes, we emigrated in 2004, were reasonably settled, aside of a few little niggles that come naturally when one moves to another country. then came major problems, caused by my parents of course--apparently every time they got visitors to the house, they fell about crying about having been dumped on their own, etc etc. not only that, they actually started using underhand tactics (KGB methods, i call them!!) to wind up my bros and sisters against me, saying that i did not care for anyone apart from myself, etc. so much so that i had my siblings phone me up, and on some occasions, my bros actually flew over for so-called holidays and had huge arguments about our immigration, in my house and in front of my children! in the end, the pressure got too much for us to bear, as even outsiders whom the parents had talked to were saying that if your parents suddenly snuffed it, YOU are going to be the ones to blame! so we jacked it in and upped sticks to come back to glorious england. and we thought we had done the right thing, but lo and behold, we were greeted one the first day by everyone with "ok? so you're back" !!!!!!!! not so much as a hug or a peck on the cheek! and thats not all, the winding up carries on in earnest even as i sit here writing this, as i have made it patently clear that we are definitely moving back again and no-one is gonna stop us. of course, soon as my siblings heard that we are again going back, they have all been suddenly galvanised into action, with some saying THEY are emigrating too, to germany, holland or italy!! why? because they do not want to look after the parents and value their freedom, and dont ant to be lumbered themselves! and to us they say, we cannot do this or that, cannot even sell my OWN house to raise the cash needed to set up again in canada!! and what does that mean for me and my family? are we supposed to live out our days in deep misery looking after parents who dont even need looking after? thinking about what a great life we could have had? and now the latest is the kids have been manipulated into not going with us!! they are saying that they wish to study in the uk now. this has been very cleverly done, as the parents know full well that we will not leave the kids alone on their own here, so we will have no choice but to stay!! but we are steadily finding ways around these impediments. phew....and on and on it goes....

What is it with MIL's???

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mkmurrays;4468738]
She's told the rest of the family behind our backs that we haven't a hope of getting a visa 'at our age' (we are both mid-forties), and it isn't going to happen.
[QUOTE]

Well, on that score my wife is coming up to (and I've already arrived and passed) 50, and we're just waiting for our PPR's. So tell her to put that in her pipe and smoke it. (As my gran used to say).
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

It is so good to see that other people suffer the emotional blackmail about moving abroad.

My mom's latest is that she is moving to Lanzarotte and seeing the planes dont do a Calgary to Lanzarotte flight I wont see her again ! (BTW those were her own words not mine!)

Gaynor
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:31 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
It is so good to see that other people suffer the emotional blackmail about moving abroad.

My mom's latest is that she is moving to Lanzarotte and seeing the planes dont do a Calgary to Lanzarotte flight I wont see her again ! (BTW those were her own words not mine!)

Gaynor
Has she never heard of CONNECTING FLIGHTS at all??????
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:02 am
Just Joined

debs3013 is an unknown quantity at this point

New to this site, so hi everyone.

I can't wait to tell my family when it all finally happens and we're definately going. My FIL said he wouldn't come and visit us when we mentioned we were thinking of getting two new dogs, so god knows what the reaction will be when we announce we're leaving the country!!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:22 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debs3013

I can't wait to tell my family when it all finally happens and we're definately going. My FIL said he wouldn't come and visit us when we mentioned we were thinking of getting two new dogs, so god knows what the reaction will be when we announce we're leaving the country!!

I'm sorry, I'm sure you were very upset about it, but your post really made me laugh. I guess you won't be getting many visits then ... especially if you take your dogs with yous
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:57 am
Just Joined

debs3013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha wasn't upset at all, in fact we went ahead and got 2 more dogs!! I'd quite happily have a whole pack of dogs if I was promised no more family visits! And yes the dogs are definately coming with us, far more important to me than moaning old FIL's
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

fedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nice

Originally Posted by debs3013

oh how I larfed when I read your post...girl after my own heart! I've gone one better and have a first charge on my mum and dad's house so my greedy brother I'll be leaving behind to wipe their bottoms (yeah really saw that coming!) can't get me cut out of the Will because I own 20% of their property so they can't sell, move or do anything without paying me off first and with my agreement larf, I can't stop myself ha!!!