Returning to UK

Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Linda 53 France is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to UK

Hi
Unlike alot of you out there, we are moving back to the UK.
We have lived in France for 7 years. We need to open a UK bank account to deposit the funds from the sale of our house here in order to purchase a property back in Blighty.
Anyone any suggestions - polite please!
Linda

Last edited by Sue; Feb 28th 2007 at 12:48 am. Reason: Moved from France forum
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK

Originally Posted by Linda 53 France
Hi
We have lived in France for 7 years. We need to open a UK bank account to deposit the funds from the sale of our house here in order to purchase a property back in Blighty.
Linda
They have tightened up a lot on opening accounts due to the money laundering that has been going on.
Why dont you phone Lloyds TSB in UK and ask them the best way for you to go about it, tell them the story.
I am sure they will advise you the best way as they will make a few bob out of it.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:54 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Hi
Linda
Hi,HSBC,have just brought out a new account called passport,it costs £10.00 per month or a one off payement of £50.00,I think for life,I think you can open it on the web,might be handy .
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Rue Pasteur is an unknown quantity at this point

I have banked with First Direct since their conception ( over 15 years & part of HSBC) they are fantastic! Could teach the French about banking!!!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
They have tightened up a lot on opening accounts due to the money laundering that has been going on.
Why dont you phone Lloyds TSB in UK and ask them the best way for you to go about it, tell them the story.
I am sure they will advise you the best way as they will make a few bob out of it.
Might be more productive to speak to a branch in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

m100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rue Pasteur
I have banked with First Direct since their conception ( over 15 years & part of HSBC) they are fantastic! Could teach the French about banking!!!
We have too, they are excellent!!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Zxenith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Linda
If you dont come right with anyone, contact "1st contact" you pay your admin fee and they open you an advantage gold account with natwest right away
Had my account the same day.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:48 am
Just Joined

bilbong is just really nicebilbong is just really nicebilbong is just really nicebilbong is just really nicebilbong is just really nicebilbong is just really nicebilbong is just really nicebilbong is just really nice

Hi
Linda
Can i ask why you are returning to the uk?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Douglas jack
Hi,HSBC,have just brought out a new account called passport,it costs £10.00 per month or a one off payement of £50.00,I think for life,I think you can open it on the web,might be handy .
Hi,

I tried to apply for this account online (HSBC Passport) but they want to know all your work details and how much salary will be paid in each month. We have no idea as we are not going back for a couple of months and don't have a job lined up. You have to fill in these fields in order to complete the application and they want your employer's name and lots of other details that I just won't have until we get back to the UK. I also tried to apply for a First Direct account and put my brother's address in the UK but they will only let you apply if your salary is being paid into the account, ours will be, but obviously not until we are there earning it, so they wouldn't give us an account either!

I think we just have to wait until we are there and go into a bank and tell them we have some money and need to open an account. I still think it will be difficult as you have to have a utility bill with your name and proof of address on it and if we stay with family, we won't have anything like that for a while until we buy/rent a house.

JO
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jo did you read my post, said if you dont come right get in touch with
1st contact
Here is the address all your problems solved

http://www.1stcontact.com/live/index...ategory_ID=876
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:03 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zxenith
Jo did you read my post, said if you dont come right get in touch with
1st contact
Here is the address all your problems solved

http://www.1stcontact.com/live/index...ategory_ID=876
Opening an account "Assistance with opening a UK bank account." is second in the list after, "An informative orientation meeting in our London office"
So it seems like you have to be in London anyway, to get your account ?
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

If you do the on-line application go for the meeting (They need signatures), just so the bank can meet the group, we all got our bank accounts, no worries about work or permanent address jobs and so on they have all everything covered could not believe my luck, made me wonder why everyone had not gone this route, in any event there is no easy-er way to get an account. No funny business they have build up a very good reputation.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:13 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

Zxenith, I checked out this site. Are you saying you don't need to have a job?
I would like to open a current a/c in UK but with all the different regulations of needing electric bills etc, I may have to go via. IOM or Jersey which will be easier.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
Zxenith, I checked out this site. Are you saying you don't need to have a job?
I would like to open a current a/c in UK but with all the different regulations of needing electric bills etc, I may have to go via. IOM or Jersey which will be easier.
Check your pm