Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

if no one else will ask ,i will???

if no one else will ask ,i will???

Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:32 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default if no one else will ask ,i will???

i have been a member on here now for about eight months,and i have read hundreds of times and its getting quite boring. from people who live and have visited australia ,how its not that better than england.

having read all the negative comments about it and perth in particular i wasted £6k going out there to see if it was true ,that you would be covered in flies,killed by snakes,find no work or run over by a hoone.

well i would just like to ask a few simple questions...
if you dont like it why dont you come back?
do you try and say its a sihtohle to keep it all for yourselves?
do you not want other poms there?
do you want to keep all the work for yourselves?
why dash peoples dreams?
if you wanted england with the sun,why didn't you move to benidorm?

i agree its not utopia but why all the negativity?

aston

Last edited by aston man; Feb 15th 2007 at 6:49 am.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:55 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: if no one else will ask ,i will???

Originally Posted by aston man
i have been a member on here now for about eight months,and i have read hundreds of times and its getting quite boring. how people who live and have visited australia ,how its not that better than england.

having read all the negative comments about it and perth in particular i wasted £6k going out there to see if it was true ,that you would be covered in flies,killed by snakes,find no work or run over by a hoone.

if you dont like it why dont you come back?Not quite as simple as that. Oh yeah it is...silly me...just flog the house, ship all our furniture back, find somewhere to live, get jobs, get kids into school, oh...and don't forget to organise shipping of the cat! Hey, isn't that what you're doing over there and most folk find it stressful....same in reverse mate!
do you try and say its a sihtohle to keep it all for yourselves?Nope...it really is a shithole (only joking)
do you not want other poms there?Not really, we're overrun with 'em as it is
do you want to keep all the work for yourselves?What work? We bum on the beach all day, hoon in our cars all night in a doped haze dude
why dash peoples dreams?If you pay any attention to anyone's PERSONAL opinions and don't listen to your own...more fool you!

i agree its not utopia but why all the negativity?It's a knock on effect from all of the wacky backy mate.It's called 'coming down to earth...with a huge thump" Let's hope you and your family have a very comfortable, soft landing and that you never experience such a fall.

aston
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

tallbloke67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: if no one else will ask ,i will???

Hi Aston Man

I couldn't agree with you more. I have been to Perth three times and we migrate there in three weeks. There does seem to be some angst from some people about Perth doesn't there? Yes the house prices have gone up but the economy there mirrors that fact.

As for the flies, yes they are a pain but I would rather have them then Mr Blair! As for how many Poms go there well why not, it is a terrific place IMHO and I love it.

I know when we go there I am going to have to work very hard (in IT) so we can afford the things we like but it will be worth it. Just to recall from one of yesterdays post and also in the press in the UK that the standards of children growing up in the UK is the worst in the top nations of the world....

Surely Utopia is in the eye of the beholder. What floats my boat may sink others and vice-versa.

Martin
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:58 am
Account Closed

Oh here we go again.....
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:16 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

i have been a member on here now for about eight months,and i have read hundreds of times and its getting quite boring. how people who live and have visited australia ,how its not that better than england.
That's because it isn't better or worse just different, same shit shiny new bucket.

having read all the negative comments about it and perth in particular i wasted $6k going out there to see if it was true ,that you would be covered in flies,killed by snakes,find no work or run over by a hoone.
Hoons are annoying, flies are only a problem for us for a couple of months a yr. Sorry you feel you've wasted your cash but you'd be seriously pissed off if you'd sold up lock stock & barrel only to find you hate it here. Maybe that's a reason why there's a lot of good and bad points aired on the forum.

well i would just like to ask a couple of simple questions...
I've seen lots come and go over the last 5 yrs, every one with their own reasons as to why it did or didn't work out.

aston
I wish I had a dollar for every post I've read along these lines. I have a question or two for you; Do you only want to read the positive side to life here? Would you rather people who live and work here and who for the main are very happy didn't post about things that irk them?

In a couple of years time when you've walked the walk & talked the talk it'll be interesting to hear how your views have changed if at all. Maybe you'll be just that bit wiser as to why things are like they are here in BE land then
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cresta57
In a couple of years time when you've walked the walk & talked the talk it'll be interesting to hear how your views have changed if at all. Maybe you'll be just that bit wiser as to why things are like they are here in BE land then
Bravo Cresta bravo!!!

How many times over the years have we seen 'em eh? The "We've never lived in Oz but we know it's going to be better than the UK" gang
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Bravo Cresta bravo!!!

How many times over the years have we seen 'em eh? The "We've never lived in Oz but we know it's going to be better than the UK" gang
I find it really interesting to read everyone's comments on here even all the negative ones. We know it isn't going to be easy when we get there and I think that reading everyone's experiences on here can only help us prepare a bit for the move.

We haven't lived in Oz but have visited and we don't know if its going to be better than here. We are going to go out there and see. It might be better, it might be worse and it will certainly be very different but we are going out there to give it a try.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:50 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

aston
Yes, if the snakes and spiders don't kill ya the flies and mossies will, if the flies and mossies don't kill ya the sharks and crocs will, if the sharks and crocs don't kill ya the stingers and blue ring octopus's will, if the stingers and blue ring octopus's don't kill ya the Tasmanian tigers and Bunyips will, If the Tasmanian tigers and Bunyips don't kill the Heat and Skin cancer will, if the Heat and Skin cancer don't kill ya the Bushfires, floods and droughts will, If the Bushfires, floods and droughts don't kill ya then the hoons in cars and mad outback redneck wolf creek killers will, If the Hoons in cars and mad outback redneck wolf creek killers don't kill ya then congratulations you have survived your first week in OZ.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:51 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't better than England in IMO. Well not London anyway. I would imagine it's better than your northern slums though

But seriously I live here I like it, loads of negative things here though as elsewhere, are we not allowed to point these out?

Do I have to think it's better than England to live here, can I just not be trying a new experience?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's good to read positive and negative BUT take most stuff with an enormous grain of salt.

I remember reading endless threads about stupid stuff like "there's no decent cheese in Oz" and "OMG how expensive are lettuces!" (yes, those really did exist, they are not just a BE myth!) but it turned out to be complete bollocks.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Yes, if the snakes and spiders don't kill ya the flies and mossies will, if the flies and mossies don't kill ya the sharks and crocs will, if the sharks and crocs don't kill ya the stingers and blue ring octopus's will, if the stingers and blue ring octopus's don't kill ya the Tasmanian tigers and Bunyips will, If the Tasmanian tigers and Bunyips don't kill the Heat and Skin cancer will, if the Heat and Skin cancer don't kill ya the Bushfires, floods and droughts will, If the Bushfires, floods and droughts don't kill ya then the hoons in cars and mad outback redneck wolf creek killers will, If the Hoons in cars and mad outback redneck wolf creek killers don't kill ya then congratulations you have survived your first week in OZ.
pmsl
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:53 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
I think it's good to read positive and negative BUT take most stuff with an enormous grain of salt.

I remember reading endless threads about stupid stuff like "there's no decent cheese in Oz" and "OMG how expensive are lettuces!" (yes, those really did exist, they are not just a BE myth!) but it turned out to be complete bollocks.
How dare you the cheese is shit
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fraser
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

why dash peoples dreams?

aston
Haven't read any of the other replies, so this is just straight me.......

Cos I'm married to an Aussie, and thats his home. One of us would always be in a strange land, and I am more adaptable than him.

do you try and say its a **** to keep it all for yourselves?

I'd never call it that - for some it is a wonderful new home. Just doesn't suit me.

why dash peoples dreams?

Its a question of realism - dreams are fine, just be aware that Australia is not utopia and for some the dreams may turn to nightmares

I hate the sun - lovely grey England has been fab the last few days. As for Benidorm, wouldn't go if you paid me!!!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
"Blessed are the cheesemakers!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.