Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Daylight savings earlier

Daylight savings earlier

Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Daylight savings earlier

Hi,

Have you all heard that it will be alot earlier this year.
Its usually April , should be 3 wks early , March 11th and go back a week after England does.(Nov 4th )They are trying it out. Something to do with the Energy Commission.
Fine by me. Just have to remember i will be 5 hours behind for those 3 weeks in March.

Spring will be here soon. These freezing temps are wearing thin now.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daylight savings earlier

Originally Posted by unicorndreams
Hi,

Its usually April , should be 3 wks early , March 11th and go back a week after England does.(Nov 4th )They are trying it out. Something to do with the Energy Commission.
Fine by me. Just have to remember i will be 5 hours behind for those 3 weeks in March.

Thought you were having a laugh on this one, but straight from the Naval Observatory's mouth:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/daylight_time.html
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
Thought you were having a laugh on this one, but straight from the Naval Observatory's mouth:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/daylight_time.html

There are a lot of wrong calenders then for this year. I just walked around the lab and every wall calender says April 1st I hope the tv/radio will be reminding people or there will be a lot of confusion next month
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
There are a lot of wrong calenders then for this year. I just walked around the lab and every wall calender says April 1st I hope the tv/radio will be reminding people or there will be a lot of confusion next month
I know..One calendar i have says April 1st.But the one in my office is correct and had March 11th.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unicorndreams
Hi,

Yeah - pain in the neck - there will be a bunch of computerized processes that get screwed up because of these changes. Most of the widely used scheduling programs need patching to make them work right.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Philgr
Yeah - pain in the neck - there will be a bunch of computerized processes that get screwed up because of these changes. Most of the widely used scheduling programs need patching to make them work right.
Here's the information I received from my firm's IT support (it's a little long-winded but useful - I hope)

"In August of 2005 the United States Congress passed the Energy Policy Act, which changes the dates of both the start and end of daylight saving time (DST). When this law goes into effect in 2007, DST will start three weeks earlier (2:00 A.M. on the second Sunday in March) and will end one week later (2:00 A.M. on the first Sunday in November) than what had traditionally occurred.

Q: What does this have to do with me?
A: Appointments calendared in Outlook should be carefully monitored when the new daylight savings time starts. Microsoft suggests printing out the calendared appointments before DST begins. Microsoft has announced it will release a patch for the email system, but has not yet released one.

Q: What systems are affected?
A: Most Windows operating systems and productivity software will need a patch. We are in the process of patching the firm's systems and will be contacting some of you to patch your Windows2000 PC. Microsoft's Windows Update will automatically patch most XP systems. Once Microsoft releases a server patch for Outlook, we will apply it to the firm's email systems.

Q: What if I don't get patched?
A: If you do not get patched for the DST change, some calendar items may be off by one hour.

Q: What about my fancy PDA gizmo?
A: Most cell phones get their date and time from the wireless network provider and will adjust to the new DST automatically. We are checking to verify the devices being used will change automatically.

Q: What can I do about my home computer?
A: If it is the WindowsXP or Vista operating system, Microsoft's Windows Update should automatically patch your system. If you are using the Windows2000 operating system, contact TMG and we have a special patch. If you are using something older than Windows2000, there is not a patch available.

Q: Are we going to have to do this next year?
A: You should not have to do this next year. The most recent Microsoft operating systems (XP and Vista) should dynamically adjust to DST changes.

Q: What if I use a Mac? I bet it doesn't have this problem!
A: Yes, your Mac will need to be patched, too."
Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Jonah20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Philgr
We're busy testing patches for this at the moment!!!!

Bush trying to leave his imprint on Time as well ;(