Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC Wanted Down Under - the UKNova Download thread!

BBC Wanted Down Under - the UKNova Download thread!

Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by rodders39
They're also planning an upload tomorrow of this weeks shows... again 1 torrent... For the bloke from the US that was wondering how he could watch them, this is the way...
available now Rodders, 2 from perth, 1 sydney, 1 queensland and 1 adelaide. All in 1 torrent.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:04 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
available now Rodders, 2 from perth, 1 sydney, 1 queensland and 1 adelaide. All in 1 torrent.
Thanks...! Coming down the pipe, but not exactly in a hurry...
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:04 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a newbie to the torrent thing. How do you go about downloading them?? I'm in Canada so can't see the shows either.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Downloading it now. Let's hope they are better than the previous week's, although we did like the couple (the garage door sparky) who were looking at SE Qld.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:51 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm a newbie to the torrent thing. How do you go about downloading them?? I'm in Canada so can't see the shows either.
OK, sit back...

UKNova is a BitTorrent website where it is possible to download TV programs that have been transmitted on the free to air channels... Obviously not everything is on there but if you have something that you particularly want you can ask nicely in the requests forum and you may get lucky...

The way the torrent stuff works (very roughly, there's others here that know far more about it than me...) is that the central website keeps a track of who has what files on their computers that they are prepared to share, so when you see something you want to download you actually get that file from multiple files on other peoples computers... everybody shares...

First you need to get a BitTorrent client, and Azureus is reckoned by many to be the best...

Then you need to get an account on UKNova... that might take a little while, but keep trying... They have a limit of how many users they let on; last I saw it was 30,000 but every day they delete any accounts that haven't been used for 42 days... which can be 200/300 a day... but competition to get on is tough so you need to go into the new user bit and keep trying - it took me 2 days to get on...

Once you're in make sure you read the FAQ to understand what's going on and the site rules, etc... Then browse the torrents, pick a couple you like and just click on the name at the top and Azureus will do the rest...

A couple of things worth knowing... Nearly all the files come down in a DivX format... This means they will play on your computer no problem; but you'll need a DivX compatible DVD player to make this as easy as possible... If you have one of those ($A180 upwards, ours was a very good Sony at $A245) then just copy the files to a DVD-RW disc and chuck it into the DVD player and you're away... If you don't have a DivX compatible DVD player then you need to convert your file into something your player understands, like a normal DVD file, before copying onto disc... WinAVI can do this very well but it does take a lot of time... Also you should note that DivX files are much smaller than normal DVD files so you can get, depending upon quality, perhaps 7 hours video on a single disc...

Use RW discs as well because it makes compilations much easier to create... I'm watching the new series of Waking the Dead at the moment and each week I just add that weeks download to the existing disc...

Hope that helps, and good luck...!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 2:09 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a great walk thro for us technophobics.

k

just wondered if it was time specific when you registered?
no luck so far...

using an Apple instead of Windoze? (couldn't resist) just downloaded azureus for mac is anyone else using their Apple with uknova?
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:30 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

OK, sit back...
Fantastic... thanks a bunch! I've now got Azureus and am working on signing up to UKNova.

I'm looking forward to watching the show.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Fantastic... thanks a bunch! I've now got Azureus and am working on signing up to UKNova.

I'm looking forward to watching the show.
UKNova rocks. Hope you get on it soon. I use it all the time. No need for Foxtel when you have UKNova.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
UKNova rocks. Hope you get on it soon. I use it all the time. No need for Foxtel when you have UKNova.
I adore it too, its my most fave thing in the whole world, sad wench that I am.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 3:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Hmmm.....so I could run those programs on the PC, while the Bloke is watching the 85,000,000th rerun of MASH on TV....that sounds like worthwhile. Do you need broadband to download the stuff?

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 27th 2007 at 4:01 am.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 4:00 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hmmm.....so I could run those programs on the PC, while the Bloke is watching the 85,000,000 th rerun of MASH on Tv....that sounds like worthwhile. Do you need broadband to download the stuff?
yes you do need broadband, dial up would be way to slow. Its wonderful Polly you can get all sorts of stuff from UK on there. I watch all mine on the PC as we don't have a divx compatible dvd player yet.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 4:16 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

yes you do need broadband, dial up would be way to slow. Its wonderful Polly you can get all sorts of stuff from UK on there. I watch all mine on the PC as we don't have a divx compatible dvd player yet.
I'm toying with the broadband idea - Dodo dialup is pretty quick, compared to Hellstra, but I think the time has come to change, now I can afford it at last!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 5:21 am
Timelord

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm toying with the broadband idea - Dodo dialup is pretty quick, compared to Hellstra, but I think the time has come to change, now I can afford it at last!
Do it... Honestly, it'll change your life... But you'll need broadband at least as fast as 1 Mbit... And if you've a cap limit don't go for less than 40 gig... Also note that your upload speed has a direct impact on your download speed so if you can, get one with a decent uplink too... Check out Whirlpool for your options...
Old Jan 27th 2007, 5:31 am
Timelord

Originally Posted by The OH
Thanks a great walk thro for us technophobics.

k

just wondered if it was time specific when you registered?
no luck so far...

using an Apple instead of Windoze? (couldn't resist) just downloaded azureus for mac is anyone else using their Apple with uknova?
Don't think there's any regular time they delete the accounts...
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:12 am
Home and Happy

Do it... Honestly, it'll change your life... But you'll need broadband at least as fast as 1 Mbit... And if you've a cap limit don't go for less than 40 gig... Also note that your upload speed has a direct impact on your download speed so if you can, get one with a decent uplink too... Check out Whirlpool for your options...
I'll be looking for uncapped - dodo do one, and we've had no problems with their dial up so I may well stick to them. Daren't sign up for anything that limits the downloads etc, I live on this machine and would be breaking the bank every month!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.