Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm glad my kids don't go to a UK school

I'm glad my kids don't go to a UK school

Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:08 pm
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm glad my kids don't go to a UK school

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
You are not the only one to find the event horrifiying.Anything such as this is.The problem is the authorities are doing their bit to reduce the incidents by bringing it into the open so that kids subjected to bulllying feel that they can now go to someone/parent or teachers, who is willing to listen and not say that there is nothing that can be done for them.As parents and teachers we find it difficult to go to the level at which the kids of today live and understand fully the cruelty other kids can inflict both verbally and physically, to one another.I have had experience with my own daughter, whilst I was the local cop. It was even more difficult for me because even I didnt know it was happening until her health really started to suffer.Then the alarm bells started.As a result the school altered its outlook and have been very positive since over bullying.
I'm glad you were able to make a difference in your school.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali_j

Right now, I am so thankful that we moved to the US and my kids don't have to go the chaotic UK schools (If you can get into one, that is).

What's going on over there????
that's terrible....but rather isolated...sure bullying is a problem...but it happens over here in the US...it's far more cliche in highschools over here, well the one's I've seen, so if you ain't a sports jock or a cheer leader camp, your either a goth, geek and going to get bullied...okay, that's another massive generalisation, but it's far more prevalent around here, well up in maine where I've seen it more....and kids have guns in schools up there.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:39 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

My daughters middle school had metal detectors on the entrances.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
My daughters middle school had metal detectors on the entrances.
MIL's school almost had a riot when they banned the kids from bringing guns into school, so after a couple weeks, they compromised and said the kids had to keep their guns locked up in the boot of their cars.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:10 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
MIL's school almost had a riot when they banned the kids from bringing guns into school, so after a couple weeks, they compromised and said the kids had to keep their guns locked up in the boot of their cars.

Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:17 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

compromised...WTF :scared: :scared:
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira
Because of hunting...would go hunting before school, early, so not having time to go home so would bring the rifles/shotguns to school along with carcus...a lot of poor area's and people need to hunt to supplement their diets...not all obviously, but a fair few at least.

These people also live a fair way from school.

Hence the riot that kids couldn't go hunting for sake of hunting or getting food, which is why they ended up compromising.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by TruBrit
compromised...WTF :scared: :scared:
rural maine....it's a whole different world and level of thinking, what might apply else where wouldn't work there and vice-versa, etc.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Because of hunting...would go hunting before school, early, so not having time to go home so would bring the rifles/shotguns to school along with carcus...a lot of poor area's and people need to hunt to supplement their diets...not all obviously, but a fair few at least.

These people also live a fair way from school.

Hence the riot that kids couldn't go hunting for sake of hunting or getting food, which is why they ended up compromising.
Like ferrets in Northern England
Old Dec 17th 2006, 1:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Like ferrets in Northern England
Sorry, I know its a serious thread, but I just had this image of ferrets in flat caps locking their guns in the boots of their cars
Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
That's a bit of a generalisation. My kids schools are great.
Or so you think ?
Old Dec 17th 2006, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Jenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of light

I don't understand why people continue to think these events are down to the schools being at fault - it was the parents who burnt down someone's house! Sure the school should have been intervening to stop the bullying between the kids but don't you think it's worse that there are parents out there who not only join in with bullying kids but also go on to burn houses down?!
I'm personally doing everything in my power to make sure my daughter never has to live in the UK as I think it is a terrible country compared to the others we could live in, half of the problem is people are blaming it all on the government, and schools, and councils, and anyone else they can think of. The whole concept of taking responsibility for yourself has just disappeared, everyone expects the government to sort it all out for them.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenster
I don't understand why people continue to think these events are down to the schools being at fault - it was the parents who burnt down someone's house! Sure the school should have been intervening to stop the bullying between the kids but don't you think it's worse that there are parents out there who not only join in with bullying kids but also go on to burn houses down?!
I'm personally doing everything in my power to make sure my daughter never has to live in the UK as I think it is a terrible country compared to the others we could live in, half of the problem is people are blaming it all on the government, and schools, and councils, and anyone else they can think of. The whole concept of taking responsibility for yourself has just disappeared, everyone expects the government to sort it all out for them.
The reason why the adult population are not taking the responsibility is simple.The Governments we have had, have eroded the basic rights of parents, who were the ones to instill discipline within the home enviroment.They have stated, that you are not allowed to handout punishments for bad behaviour or to even shout at the children in fear that you will turn the minds of the children.*(Crap)Discipline starts in the home, to school ,to the workplace to everyday life. A complete breakdown of the fabric of Society follows which then brings about anachy.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:46 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenster
I'm personally doing everything in my power to make sure my daughter never has to live in the UK as I think it is a terrible country compared to the others we could live in
Which ones and Why?
Old Dec 17th 2006, 1:31 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by California Dreamin'
Or so you think ?
No, I'm sure about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.