Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Picture Shipping

Picture Shipping

Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Picture Shipping

I've got several framed pictures back in England, most in the 6' x 4' range. Anyone know an easy, safe and affordable way to get them over here?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picture Shipping

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I've got several framed pictures back in England, most in the 6' x 4' range. Anyone know an easy, safe and affordable way to get them over here?

Let a company like Pickfords do it. We brought a few things over when our house was sold, just 3 or 4 boxes, an ironing board, couple of large pictures and a large mirror. Everything arrived intact...sorry I have no idea of the cost.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:02 pm
Banned

Pickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
an ironing board
LOL, what was so special about your ironing board that you had to ship it over rather than picking up a new one over here. I don't know why but that really made me laugh, I don't mean any offense you can bring anything you want but it just made me laugh!

I actually had a couple of large prctures in frames back home, I had ma parents or my brother take the glass out, pack them in bubble wrap and check them on a flight whent he came over. Make sure to put a load of "fragile" stickers on it. Once over here I bought a new pane of glass and hung them up.

Sorry but I am still laughing about the ironing board!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pickles
I actually had a couple of large prctures in frames back home, I had ma parents or my brother take the glass out, pack them in bubble wrap and check them on a flight whent he came over. Make sure to put a load of "fragile" stickers on it. Once over here I bought a new pane of glass and hung them up.
But the OP was talking about HUGE pictures - 6' x 4', i.e. 180cm x 120cm!

I think you'd need a proper removal company for this - and it won't come cheap. Cadogen Tate do a lot of art moves, I believe.

They did our domestic move too, and we were very satisfied. (They - or rather the people at this end - did break the class of one large picture, but insurance paid, no questions asked.)
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

if there that huge...might want to give a local art gallery a shout to see who they use and could recommend, as they'll cloth them up and crate them up properly to be shipped or flown over...not cheap...another option, pop the paintings or whatever out of the frames, roll them up and send them and re-frame over here, probably end up as costly getting new frames, but might be easier if the frames aren't anything special..
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pickles
LOL, what was so special about your ironing board that you had to ship it over rather than picking up a new one over here. I don't know why but that really made me laugh, I don't mean any offense you can bring anything you want but it just made me laugh!

Sorry but I am still laughing about the ironing board!
When I bought my ironing board years ago, I bought a large, very heavy one. I always cursed every time I used it 'cos it was so heavy. When we first came here I bought a standard one. I soon got fed up chasing the bloody thing around the kitchen. It was then I appreciated why mum recommended the heavy ironing board.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

i brought two pictures with me. About 3'x2'. They were packaged as good as I could though not that good. In sturdy cardboard boxes with polystyrene etc.
One arrived just fine the other looked like someone had deliberately smashed against a post or something, it was basically broken in half!
Trick is never write fragile glass on a package this is a sign to the baggage handlers to deliberately smash it to smithereens knowing full well there is nothing you can do about it and no compensation.
They are only liable if its packaged in a wooden crate..

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When I bought my ironing board years ago, I bought a large, very heavy one. I always cursed every time I used it 'cos it was so heavy. When we first came here I bought a standard one. I soon got fed up chasing the bloody thing around the kitchen. It was then I appreciated why mum recommended the heavy ironing board.