Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

plumbing in Brisbane

plumbing in Brisbane

Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Jempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to all
Default plumbing in Brisbane

Hi all .
been in Brisbane three months (WELL DBAY) Thought i should get a job, I am a Plumber it took me eight hrs after sending my cv out on seek .com.
I must say when I read all the threads in the uk I was dreading it, but with out being Rudd, but alot I read on Expats turned out to be crap.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

wusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud ofwusor boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: plumbing in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Jempower
Hi all .
been in Brisbane three months (WELL DBAY) Thought i should get a job, I am a Plumber it took me eight hrs after sending my cv out on seek .com.
I must say when I read all the threads in the uk I was dreading it, but with out being Rudd, but alot I read on Expats turned out to be crap.

Well done that man, I'll hopefully be in the same position in a couple of months time, any info will be much appreciated

rich
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Jempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wusor boy
Well done that man, I'll hopefully be in the same position in a couple of months time, any info will be much appreciated

rich
Just pm me if you want a start no worries mate.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

Just pm me if you want a start no worries mate.
Hi Jempower glad to hear you've got work so quickly. Hubbie is a plumber and we're also heading for Brisbane, if and when this house sales (we have 3 people fighting over it as we speak now)! would be grateful for any contacts over there, also if you don't mind me asking any templates for your cv/resume. No doubt hubby will have lots of questions for you when he comes home from work but good luck with the job anyway.
Jo x
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Would you care to elaborate on this erudite statement?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:57 am
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

Hi all .
just a quick question,

what kind of plumbing job is it?
is it a plumbers mate,labourer or a fully quallified post and if so how did you get this job without all the fuss that goes with it. I've read some really disheartening things on here about trades certificates and getting a licence.
any feedback woul be great

bec and egg
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by egghead4
just a quick question,

what kind of plumbing job is it?
is it a plumbers mate,labourer or a fully quallified post and if so how did you get this job without all the fuss that goes with it. I've read some really disheartening things on here about trades certificates and getting a licence.
any feedback woul be great

bec and egg
Well I sent all my city and guilds of to the Plumbers and drainers board with $98 and a week later they phoned me up, it was actually a ten pound pom, she was so helpful.
she told me that they dont give any full licences to English Plumbers. because of the armed forces dishing out certificates after six months training.
and that they are looking for full time served plumbers.
However she granted me a provisional licence, which means I can work alone
do all the work any one else can do, I just can't sign council paperwork.
So armed with my licence, which has the same quality as a blockbuster video card, I posted my CV on seek .com
The response was amazing, I targeted the jobs that offered a Ute as I wanted to save on buying another vehicle, four jobs fitted the bill, by lunch time I had three phone calls.
So my wife and I headed into Brisbane for me to have an interview, twenty minuets later they offed me the job,
The offer was a brand new Ute, phone, uniform, 12%super, all brand new tools supplied, four weeks holiday, flex time, and $72K. (PLUS ALL THE TRAINING NEEDED TO GET MY FULL LICENCE, WHICH I CAN DO FROM HOME ON THE PC, NO NEED TO GO BACK TO COLLAGE)

So all the Plumbers coming over, dont believe every thing you read on this site,
although Expats is very very good, it also has its down side.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:22 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

[The offer was a brand new Ute, phone, uniform, 12%super, all brand new tools supplied, four weeks holiday, flex time, and $72K. (PLUS ALL THE TRAINING NEEDED TO GET MY FULL LICENCE, WHICH I CAN DO FROM HOME ON THE PC, NO NEED TO GO BACK TO COLLAGE)

So all the Plumbers coming over, dont believe every thing you read on this site,
although Expats is very very good, it also has its down side.[/QUOTE]

Oh my god, thats great, I hope eveything works out for you. did you pick brisbane purely for the purpose of your job, or any other reason? (nosey dick I know)
god I hope things work out that well for me and OH (thats when we eventually get there)
I wish you luck in your new job and life in OZ!
bec and egg
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:27 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Well I sent all my city and guilds of to the Plumbers and drainers board with $98 and a week later they phoned me up, it was actually a ten pound pom, she was so helpful.
she told me that they dont give any full licences to English Plumbers. because of the armed forces dishing out certificates after six months training.
So armed with my licence, which has the same quality as a blockbuster video card, I posted my CV on seek .com
The response was amazing, I targeted the jobs that offered a Ute as I wanted to save on buying another vehicle, four jobs fitted the bill, by lunch time I had three phone calls.
So my wife and I headed into Brisbane for me to have an interview, twenty minuets later they offed me the job,
The offer was a brand new Ute, phone, uniform, 12%super, all brand new tools supplied, four weeks holiday, flex time, and $72K. (PLUS ALL THE TRAINING NEEDED TO GET MY FULL LICENCE, WHICH I CAN DO FROM HOME ON THE PC, NO NEED TO GO BACK TO COLLAGE)

Well it's different in Melbourne I've been here 14 months and couldn't get a provisional without first getting a job and vis versa.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 1:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Very pleased its working out for you, I'm just nterested in how your experiences compare with others - HERE for example
Old Oct 29th 2006, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a brilliant job and conditions, for others looking heres the plumbing jobs on the mentioned website.

http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/ind...archfrom=quick

Vehicles provided usually a clue to fact travel will be involved, ask questions, queensland is a big state .

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 29th 2006 at 1:05 am.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

kaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to behold

Hi all .
Well done on getting work so quickly - am really chuffed for you.

But why say that what you read is crap. Do you really think that people come on here and just fabricate stories for the sheer hell of it. These are geniune experiences from mostly genuine people. Do you really believe that people just sit in every night making up stories to scare others or maybe you think they aren't trying hard enough? It's very insulting to those who haven't been able to get work as quickly/easily as you have.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice

Congratulations on getting your job.

I just wanted to add my comments, as a balanced view, from someone who has gone through the whole process in the last year and a half.

As you said Plumbing jobs are aplenty and companies are crying out for plumbers.

On the flip side many companies will only take on plumbers with full licences. On a provisional licence they are responsible for the work you do. A provisional licence doesn't entitle you to work on your own - you're meant to be supervised but its up to the company.

I, like yourself, was very lucky getting a company to take me on, give me a ute, phone etc. and help me get the full licence. I'm a Scottish Plumber.

My advice is to target the bigger maintenance companies as they're more likely to give you a chance.

Getting the provisional licence is easy in Qld, walk into the office, hand over the money and walk out with it. Getting the full licence is not.

You will need a very sympathetic boss who will sign off lots of forms which you then get signed off by the council plumbing inspector once they have checked your work!!! The problem is that you may not do all the work which has to be signed off (hence the sympathetic boss) then get it passed by the council.

A lot of it depends on who you are dealing with at the council. It can be done - I now run my own business, doing well. Its taken a year and a half to do it all but it was worth it.

Good luck to all plumbers coming over.

Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

barny rubble will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: plumbing in Brisbane

Originally Posted by flumper

I just wanted to add my comments, as a balanced view, from someone who has gone through the whole process in the last year and a half.

As you said Plumbing jobs are aplenty and companies are crying out for plumbers.

On the flip side many companies will only take on plumbers with full licences. On a provisional licence they are responsible for the work you do. A provisional licence doesn't entitle you to work on your own - you're meant to be supervised but its up to the company.

I, like yourself, was very lucky getting a company to take me on, give me a ute, phone etc. and help me get the full licence. I'm a Scottish Plumber.

My advice is to target the bigger maintenance companies as they're more likely to give you a chance.

Getting the provisional licence is easy in Qld, walk into the office, hand over the money and walk out with it. Getting the full licence is not.

You will need a very sympathetic boss who will sign off lots of forms which you then get signed off by the council plumbing inspector once they have checked your work!!! The problem is that you may not do all the work which has to be signed off (hence the sympathetic boss) then get it passed by the council.

A lot of it depends on who you are dealing with at the council. It can be done - I now run my own business, doing well. Its taken a year and a half to do it all but it was worth it.

Great news on finding a GOOD job so quickly, are all trades so high in demand in Brisbane I'm an A/C engineer moving in Jan, I was told by someone on site a wile back that plumbers in OZ are only aloud to braze joints not soldered is this true ????
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Smile Re: plumbing in Brisbane

Originally Posted by flumper

Flumper! a blast from the past! glad to see your doing well now. Can I ask how long it took you to get the full licence? Did you have to go to college for long or could you do some of the work involved from home? He's got his provisional licence when we validated our visa in April. Hubby is hoping to get work as plumber once we're out there but would like a few weeks experience (without pay)!!! just for someone to show him the ropes once we arrive, so if any of you plumbers in Brisbane are looking for some help towards end Dec/early Jan let us know.
thanks guys
Jo x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.