Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dental Fun & Games

Dental Fun & Games

Old Oct 6th 2006, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

newbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dental Fun & Games

I'm a huge coward when it comes to the dentist - so I've been putting it off!

I've had toothache, so I finally had to bite the bullet (not really pun intended) and head off to the dentist.

Given that I've got to pay more than on the NHS (even with the insurance) - I imagined that the facilities would be a bit fancy.

How wrong I was!! I went to my local "Aspen Dental" and it was awful. It consists of a corridor with about 6 dental chairs in - separated by big filing cabinets. You can totally hear what is going on in the chairs around you. My chair even had splits in the vinyl.

A clean and scrape cost $300 for one side (after insurance) - then I'm back in a couple of weeks for a clean and scrape on the other side (and another $300)!

The most fun part was the approx 12 injections to numb that whole side of my face - including those awful ones in the roof of the mouth.

So OUCH - both financially and physically
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:20 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental Fun & Games

That's a ripoff, I don't pay that and I don't have insurance.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

newbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond reputenewbieloubie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
They claimed it was $1000 worth of cleaning (it took an hour).
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:23 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen

Agree. With my insurance, cleaning is free. I think the dentist gets about $170 from the insurance. That's for both sides and front

Something doesn't sound quite right.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newbieloubie

Have you called your insurance company? What do they say?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:27 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

That's really an incredible rip-off, I reckon. We have dental insurance, but we see the full charge to our insurance company, and a full cleaning for an adult is never more than $75 total.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elvira
Have you called your insurance company? What do they say?
I haven't, but after what you guys have said, I think I will.

They are saying I need a whole host of fillings as well and that I'll end up owing them $1500.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbj1000
That's really an incredible rip-off, I reckon. We have dental insurance, but we see the full charge to our insurance company, and a full cleaning for an adult is never more than $75 total.
Does that include injections etc?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:30 pm
Homebody

I haven't, but after what you guys have said, I think I will.

They are saying I need a whole host of fillings as well and that I'll end up owing them $1500.

Talk to your insurer about the charges you have already incurred.

Personally there is NO WAY I would go back to this dentist. Quite apart from the rip-off charges, you want to feel comfortable about the person who meddles with your teeth.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:30 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would they give you anaesthetic for a cleaning?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:31 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

No, it does not. And it's a full clean without the scrape.

...but all the same, you're talking >10x difference.

You need to talk to your insurance, and dispute the charges. You also need to change dentist.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:31 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Kate2112
For the scrape, particularly if you don't like going to the dentist!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:32 pm
Homebody

Normal cleaning doesn't usually require injections. I suspect you were given a 'deep-cleaning', i.e. well below the gum line. Even so, the charges look outrageous to me.

Never agree to any treatment - dental or medical - without getting a treatment plan and clear estimate of charges.

And go by personal recommendations.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kate2112
I have a gum infection so the clean would have been agony without it.

She used a high pitch water pick thing, and then gave them a serious scraping as well.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elvira
Normal cleaning doesn't usually require injections. I suspect you were given a 'deep-cleaning', i.e. well below the gum line. Even so, the charges look outrageous to me.

Never agree to any treatment - dental or medical - without getting a treatment plan and clear estimate of charges.

And go by personal recommendations.
Yep - it sounds like a deep clean (as it was below the gum line). My neighbour is a dental nurse so I'll ask her about it.

Wish I'd asked her advice before - but you live and learn I guess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.