NZ plumbing and registration

NZ plumbing and registration

Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:22 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default NZ plumbing and registration

Hi there DaviesL & Mr DaviesL.

This one is for you . It will be a bit long. LOL
Any other plumber looking in, please feel free to register with the site and join the thread.
Mr DaviesL, please feel free to PM me after you have read the post.

I've had a bit of a flick through your previous posts and see you live in Telford. My husband comes from Wolverhamton originally. We were just in Telford visiting one of his close cousins at the beginning of August.

From looking at your previous posts , I can see that you are the principle applicant , not your plumbing husband.

Many of the hopeful plumber migrants that pop up on these sites have been struggling to find answers to their questions or have been given mis-information which has cost them both time and money.

I look out for these guys and hopefully help them towards a good understanding of
1] what is involved re an SMC work visa or migrant application as a plumber - gasfitter or drainlayer
or
2] what will be required in order to become a fully qualified plumber - gasfitter - drainlayer working in NZ.

I don't pretend to have all the answers but I certainly have some & continue to be happy to share this bit of knowledge .

If you go on to talk with other NZ plumbing families like Aircool, Scottish etc you will find we can all tell the same tales of having batted our heads off a brick wall when it comes to plumbing requirements in NZ.

Thats why I continue to watch out for folks. I hope none of them go through the madness that some of us did .

My husband is a 47 year old apprentice trained time served plumber from the UK. He has his U.K. C&G 1 and 2 [advanced], Corgi ACS, H&S for site work ,an acredited UK solar cert. He has spent all his life working within the trade. Quite a few of those years, making a good living ,as self-employed.

We started the emigration process around June of 2003 - I think. My husband finally came to NZ to start his job June 2004. I followed about two months later . There was a huge amount of delay over completion on our house sale -- but thats another story .. nightmare ! LOL. We came out on two year work permits but had already completed our EOI for PR.

We have now been living in NZ, top end of South Island, for over two years. My husband works for the same company he started with.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:43 pm
`

Default Re: NZ plumbing and registration

Many UK plumbers are given to believe that all they have to do in order to work as a fully qualified plumber in NZ is to have their qualifications checked by NZQA, sit a little bit of a test & then they will be given NZ registration. Some even believe they will be able to go self-employed. All a myth.

Now , I don't know what you have done so far with regard to your husband being able to work as a plumber in NZ. Perhaps everything, in which case disregard the following ramblings, as you have already been there and done that . .

Mr DaviesL can be employed within the plumbing industry in NZ. No problemo there. He will need a licence .
The ONLY licence he can obtain is a Limited Licence. This licence is the one issued to apprentices and labourers who work within the plumbing trade. It is for non-registered workers. Your husband together with his employer will apply for the licence [fee payable]. Your employer will have to nominate a qualified NZ plumber . That person will oversee and sign off all your husbands work.
You can expect to be paid a bit less than the going rate .

Of course, your husband will be wanting to work as the recognised fully qualified plumber that he is. There are two steps to achieving this.
1] Have his UK qualifications and work experience successfully assessed to the NZ equivalent standard by the PGDB - Plumber, Gasfitter and Drainlayer Board of New Zealand. They are the ONLY people that can do this.
2] Sit and pass the PGDB registration exams which happen once a year in November. This is a 3hr written theory plus practical testing.

Once he has achieved this , then he is an NZ registered plumber and considered qualified.

Should he wish to become self-employed, then there are two further exams to sit. A craftsman paper and a business paper.
He would be allowed to sit his Business paper the year following the Registration exams pass. It would not be until the next year after that [ two years from a Registration exam pass] that he could sit his Craftsman papers. He could not go self-employed until he passes both to PGDB satifcation and standards.

Please have a good look around the PGDB web site . In particular the licensing and registration for overseas applicants.
Just recently they have re-vamped the web site for the better. You can now dowload copies of the past two years Registration exams .

If the above is all news to you, then let me know. We can discuss this further . I can let you have further info. that could help.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Many UK plumbers are given to believe that all they have to do in order to work as a fully qualified plumber in NZ is to have their qualifications checked by NZQA, sit a little bit of a test & then they will be given NZ registration. Some even believe they will be able to go self-employed. All a myth.

Now , I don't know what you have done so far with regard to your husband being able to work as a plumber in NZ. Perhaps everything, in which case disregard the following ramblings, as you have already been there and done that . .

Mr DaviesL can be employed within the plumbing industry in NZ. No problemo there. He will need a licence .
The ONLY licence he can obtain is a Limited Licence. This licence is the one issued to apprentices and labourers who work within the plumbing trade. It is for non-registered workers. Your husband together with his employer will apply for the licence [fee payable]. Your employer will have to nominate a qualified NZ plumber . That person will oversee and sign off all your husbands work.
You can expect to be paid a bit less than the going rate .

Of course, your husband will be wanting to work as the recognised fully qualified plumber that he is. There are two steps to achieving this.
1] Have his UK qualifications and work experience successfully assessed to the NZ equivalent standard by the PGDB - Plumber, Gasfitter and Drainlayer Board of New Zealand. They are the ONLY people that can do this.
2] Sit and pass the PGDB registration exams which happen once a year in November. This is a 3hr written theory plus practical testing.

Once he has achieved this , then he is an NZ registered plumber and considered qualified.

Should he wish to become self-employed, then there are two further exams to sit. A craftsman paper and a business paper.
He would be allowed to sit his Business paper the year following the Registration exams pass. It would not be until the next year after that [ two years from a Registration exam pass] that he could sit his Craftsman papers. He could not go self-employed until he passes both to PGDB satifcation and standards.

Please have a good look around the PGDB web site . In particular the licensing and registration for overseas applicants.
Just recently they have re-vamped the web site for the better. You can now dowload copies of the past two years Registration exams .

If the above is all news to you, then let me know. We can discuss this further . I can let you have further info. that could help.
Thanks for that BEVS - have been busy sorting boxes for tha last couple of nights - but will forward info onto OH - cheers
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all

Hi BEVS
me again.
in response to above.
OH is likely to apply try and gain employment within the plumbing industry in BOP. and obtain his limited licence.
Another query -

Do you know or anyone else know (having been through the process) what UK qualificaitons are usually recongnised by the PGDB

How hard is this???? :scared:
thanks
Old Oct 9th 2006, 9:45 pm
`

Originally Posted by daviesl

1 - Do you know or anyone else know (having been through the process) what UK qualificaitons are usually recognised by the PGDB
The usual UK qualifications which would be recognised towards being allowed to sit the registration exams without further training are:-

City and Guilds 1 and 2
NVQ level 4
Corgi gas registration and current ACS ACOPS modules

They also like 4 yr time-served apprenticeships and/or the equivalent proof of on the job training.

Plus this ,they require proof of a good 5 years relevant work experience .

None of the above is written in stone. The PGDB is made up of several Board members. They sit once a month to consider the overseas qualification assessment applications. Each is considered on its individual merit , although the above is your rule of thumb.

If, for example you had NVQ2 but had five years in the trade, they could possibly state that you come to NZ , work under the Limited licence and undergo further training or a part apprenticeship here.

It would be no good trying to ask the PGDB in advance what exactly is acceptable because they won't give you a clear answer. Many of us have tried this before sending off shed loads of paperwork and money. They want your $$$ assessment fee.

What quals does your husband have ?

Originally Posted by daviesl

Sit and pass the PGDB registration exams which happen once a year in November. This is a 3hr written theory plus practical testing.

How hard is this???? :scared:
thanks
Well TBH its not easy peasey but it IS possible to pass these exams. My extremely dyslexic husband has passed both Gas and Plumbing .
You do need to study the NZ rules , regulations and building codes. Depending on when your husband did his UK plumbing training , there could be some skills that are examined but which is not commonly taught now in the UK.

There are examples of the past two years papers on the PGDB board site. I know they look :scared: to start with .
Once your husband is working here in NZ and also reading up on the way things are done here, then they soon become clearer.

Take a look at the exam papers by clicking HERE and get back to me.
The papers you want are 9192 for plumbing . 9193 for gas

Yo can also download for free a copy of the relevant parts of the New Zealand building code G12 and G13. This is a vital part of revision.
Download from HERE
The two parts you want are towards the bottom of the page.

I do have a bit of a reading list I can let you have if your husband decides to start studying now. Let me know.

The sooner your husband starts to learn this stuff, the better.

Be aware that there was a huge reshuffle of the PGDB board members this year. This could mean that the format of the exam papers could change. Hopefully if this happens , it will be for the better. The written exams are somewhat old-fashioned and word heavy.

Also remember that for every step there are fees. The web site has a full list of fees.

Hope this help .... and don't be overly worried about this. Just be prepared.