Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Did you have accommodation arranged prior to arriving in Oz?

View Poll Results: What type of accommodation did you have on arrival to Oz
Hotel/appartment/B&B/Hostel etc
16.13%
Short term rental/holiday type accommodation
46.24%
Longer term rental (6 months & over)
7.53%
Stayed friends/family
30.11%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Did you have accommodation arranged prior to arriving in Oz?

Old Aug 20th 2006, 12:38 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you have accommodation arranged prior to arriving in Oz?

Just wondering what everyone did or is doing for living accommodation when you arrived/arrive in Australia?

Has anyone managed to secure a property to rent from the U.K, and how did you do it?

I do look on www.realestate.com.au but when I e-mail the agents, the houses always seem to have gone!

Any info on Perth (North of river) would be good, but any advice from other parts of Oz would still be helpful,

TIA

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Aug 20th 2006 at 12:43 am.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 12:48 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Did you have accommodation arranged prior to arriving in Oz?

We booked a holiday let for 2 weeks thru www.rent-a-home.com.au
We decided to do this so thatwe would atleast have everything we needed to start with until we could find our feet. It was just long enough to find a rental.
I would guess it's a lot harder to find a proper rental whilst you're not here. In Sydney it would be impossible, the demand for good rentals being so high you have to be first in to win. Plus you won't have all the bits there for you on arrival, like a kettle
Old Aug 20th 2006, 1:08 am

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
We booked a holiday let for 2 weeks thru www.rent-a-home.com.au
We decided to do this so thatwe would atleast have everything we needed to start with until we could find our feet. It was just long enough to find a rental.
I would guess it's a lot harder to find a proper rental whilst you're not here. In Sydney it would be impossible, the demand for good rentals being so high you have to be first in to win. Plus you won't have all the bits there for you on arrival, like a kettle
Thanks for that link. I'll have a look on the site
Old Aug 20th 2006, 1:58 am
D&W
Forum Regular

D&W is a jewel in the roughD&W is a jewel in the roughD&W is a jewel in the roughD&W is a jewel in the rough

We are now almost on our way and have booked a "beach house" for the first 3 weeks until we can pick up our caravan from the Jayco Factory in Melbourne. Then we are off to Brisbane....and hopefully we will find some rental accommodation in the North Lakes area after Christmas.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

We've booked 2 weeks in a Big4 site in Coburg, Melbourne,,thought it would be a good base whilst we look for a rental!
I don't think I would be brave enough to book a rental from the UK, I'd want to have a good look round first
Old Aug 20th 2006, 7:47 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Just wondering what everyone did or is doing for living accommodation when you arrived/arrive in Australia?

Has anyone managed to secure a property to rent from the U.K, and how did you do it?

I do look on www.realestate.com.au but when I e-mail the agents, the houses always seem to have gone!

Any info on Perth (North of river) would be good, but any advice from other parts of Oz would still be helpful,

TIA
We did manage to secure a property to rent from the UK so it is possible. We had visited Townsville a few months before so knew where we wanted to be and our friends viewed a few rentals on our behalf and sent us photos they'd taken. The rental agent was happy to deal with us and although we offered to pay a few months up front in the end it wasn't required
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:26 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Contact lynn at movetoperth.com she has places to rent all the time.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 10:53 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

We are staying with the brother-in-law and family until the house is finished.

Loz x
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:23 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

We had booked a fully furnished holiday let for 8 weeks as we felt that this would give us a) enough time for us to choose what area to settle in and b) enough time for our container to arrive so that when we did move into our own place we would have all of our things immediately. Worked out fantastically well for us.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Gina B is an unknown quantity at this point

TIA
Hi, I have a brand new, fully furnished, large 3 bed 2 bathroom townhouse for short term rent in Joondalup City. Please email me on [email protected]
if you are interested, I can advise you of availability/pricing etc.

Regards,

Gina
Old Aug 20th 2006, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

We rented a furnished holiday house for 2 weeks then rented unfurnished for 5 months (we had to camp in it for a few weeks sleeping on blow up mattresses until our container arrived, all part of the fun and we needed to buy camping gear anyway).
Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Contact lynn at movetoperth.com she has places to rent all the time.
I think I will. I have looked on her site in the past, and her properties seem very reasonable,

Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:15 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

TIA
booked a five week stay in a holiday let recommended by one of our BE members
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Gina B
Hi, I have a brand new, fully furnished, large 3 bed 2 bathroom townhouse for short term rent in Joondalup City. Please email me on [email protected]
if you are interested, I can advise you of availability/pricing etc.

Regards,

Gina
Thanks Gina
Old Aug 20th 2006, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o
booked a five week stay in a holiday let recommended by one of our BE members
You off to Perth?

Sorry couldn't remember

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.