I came close

Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default I came close

Came close to seeing a Bear today. I went walking on a trail in the mountains and saw some bear poo, looked fresh well at least in the last 12 hours.

Expert trekkers that we where with said we should beware as loads of berry bushes around. So for most of the trek we made a fair amount of noise to let them know we where around. Apparently they are as much scared of bumping into you as we are to them. Also got warned by other walkers in the area. (funnily enough they were also English, couldn't believe it spent all day bumping into English people)

Ohh also saw a moose eating a pile of mud ..... didnt look to well though a wee bit skinny.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: I came close

Originally Posted by smelly
Came close to seeing a Bear today. I went walking on a trail in the mountains and saw some bear poo, looked fresh well at least in the last 12 hours.

Expert trekkers that we where with said we should beware as loads of berry bushes around. So for most of the trek we made a fair amount of noise to let them know we where around. Apparently they are as much scared of bumping into you as we are to them. Also got warned by other walkers in the area. (funnily enough they were also English, couldn't believe it spent all day bumping into English people)

Ohh also saw a moose eating a pile of mud ..... didnt look to well though a wee bit skinny.

Sounds like you had a very full day!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:17 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

I am sooooooooo jealous. I have only seen moose in the zoo (and that took me 2 visits!) and not come close to seeing a bear. Mind you I haven't been out of city limits that much so can't moan really. Will be out and about a lot in September though so fingers crossed I will see some wildlife then.

Any tips on where the best places are to see bear and moose around Calgary?
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:07 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Kananaskis!
Attached Thumbnails I came close-dscf0039.jpg   I came close-dscf0030.jpg  

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Aug 8th 2006 at 10:10 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Kananaskis!
and of course Ban ffff ffff.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:13 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw two bear cubs and an adult cross the dirt road in 108 Mile House, B.C. By the time I grabbed my camera and realized I'd left the batteries on charge they had gone. We used to take dog's when out horse riding in the forrest to keep bears at bay. I was told cougars lived out there, but as I was told "you will never see a wild cougar, well if you do it's already stalked you and you'll be dead before you know it".

Reminds me of a joke:

I was walking in the woods in B.C. and Mrs Texas_Dave asked why I was wearing sneakers instead of sensible hiking boots. I informed her it was in case we should stumble upon a cougar. Laughing she explained I'd never outrun a cougar, she soon stopped laughing when I explained that while I may not be able to outrun a cougar, I could sure outrun her . . .

Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Chops
We saw this one in Field, BC:

[IMG]e:Pictures2005-09webpubDSC2102.JPG[/IMG]

And this on on Mount 7, Golden, BC:

[IMG]e:Pictures2005-09webpubDSC2431.JPG[/IMG]

Both in September last year.

Go to the right places and bears are pretty common

Ian.
Ian,

You can't link to images on your hard drive, they have to be on the web some place and thus have a URL to link to.

Or you can upload them as attachments and they will appear as thumbnails which when clicked on will go to full size.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:47 pm
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

We saw these bears in Field and Golden (both BC) in Spetember last year.

Go to the "right" places and bears are pretty common

Ian.
Attached Thumbnails I came close-dsc2102.jpg   I came close-dsc2431.jpg  

Last edited by Chops; Aug 8th 2006 at 10:48 pm. Reason: Jeez, it's been a long night!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Chops
We saw these bears in Field and Golden (both BC) in Spetember last year.

Go to the "right" places and bears are pretty common

Ian.
Surprising amount of detail hidden in that second shot.

I hope you are not offended that I played with it a little.

Cheers
Steve
Attached Thumbnails I came close-dsc2431a.jpg  
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Surprising amount of detail hidden in that second shot.

I hope you are not offended that I played with it a little.

Cheers
Steve
Neat trick steve, can we all do that if we eventually get round to reading the digital camera manual or is it a fancy computer download?
Stuarty
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

The recent BBC series "Bear Watch" said that Whistler had one of the greatest concentrations of black bear. It looked like they were everywhere. Some shots showed the bears just strolling past people.

I have only seen a bear once in Yosemite whilst driving past and that was exciting enough. It must be great (and worrying) to see one up close in the wild.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:06 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

on our first visit to Canada in 2000, was out walking at the side of the river opposite Lake Louise, when a grizzly crossed our path just ahead - i overcame the initial urge to run like hell,as was with the other half & had luckily just watched a Ray Mears special on Bear evasion techniques ie don't run they will outsprint you if they want; was about to make myself look big and menacing, when the bear ambled into the river to cross into Townsite only to be scared off by firework wielding Park Rangers
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rgilbert
I have only seen a bear once in Yosemite whilst driving past and that was exciting enough. It must be great (and worrying) to see one up close in the wild.
I heard banging and clanging and looked out of our tent. A bear was eating out of a cooler at the next campsite. That was great (and worrying).

To see bears though, skip the parks and go to town dump at night.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Does it count if we have a mouse in the house?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stuarty
Neat trick steve, can we all do that if we eventually get round to reading the digital camera manual or is it a fancy computer download?
Stuarty
Stuarty,

Some improvement can be made if you understand what the camera is metering on. But for just about all of us reading the manual wouldn't help us in this sitiuation. Taking pictures of black/dark animals or even black objects can be very difficult.

What I did requires the use of photo software, in this case I used Adobe Photoshop, the latest version has a feature called "Shadow and Highlights" which in a very simple step brings out the detail in the shadows.

Cheers
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.