Butchers

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

creamcrackered has much to be proud ofcreamcrackered has much to be proud ofcreamcrackered has much to be proud ofcreamcrackered has much to be proud ofcreamcrackered has much to be proud ofcreamcrackered has much to be proud ofcreamcrackered has much to be proud ofcreamcrackered has much to be proud ofcreamcrackered has much to be proud ofcreamcrackered has much to be proud ofcreamcrackered has much to be proud of
Default Butchers

I had a thought today as I was reading the Canadian superstore thread, does Canada have butchers shops like we do, farmers markets things like that. Just a thought really.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:31 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Butchers

Originally Posted by creamcrackered
I had a thought today as I was reading the Canadian superstore thread, does Canada have butchers shops like we do, farmers markets things like that. Just a thought really.

There are farmers markets, the "butchers" i've been into is a buffalo butcher and everything was already prepacked
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by creamcrackered
I've never seen a Butcher shop like the ones in the UK. (But I've not looked very hard for one either).

One thing I found is they don't 'carve' meat the same way either - every Carvery type of dinner I've ever had here; I've always been given one very thick slice of roast meat rather like a steak, not several thin slices as you would get in the UK.

Yes, there are farmers markets here (Calgary).
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has a butcher shop

http://www.tendercut.ca/about.html

He makes English style bacon and English bangers etc. and they are popular with the expats and with the locals as well.

I know what you mean about the great thick chunks of meat they serve in a restaurant. I always stay away from prime rib on the menu because that is what they give you. At home we eat thin slices like in England. I have no idea what Canadians do at home, whether they serve great thick slices like that. I have never had roast beef in a Canadian's home!

I have a story about how stupid city hall is about some things. When I was in England a few years ago, I took some photos of those "butcher" signs they have outside the shops - the ones that are the shape of a butcher and the blackboard advertizes the specials. My husband got a friend of my son's to make him such a billboard. Wanting to do things legally, I phoned the City to find out if you needed permission and I was told by some pain in the neck that billboards were really for "downtown" and my husband's store is not downtown. I assume that they don't want things looking attractive if they are not downtown! Also, I was told that the sandwich board had to be only 3 feet high, as if they were bigger, people might trip over them.

I tried to talk to this idiot and tell him that if you had an arm full of packages, it was far more likely that you would trip over a 3 foot high sandwich board, than one that was the size of a man. Anyway, he wouldn't listen, so I just hung up and my husband went ahead and put the sandwich board outside the store anyway!!

I don't know about other cities, but I honestly think Regina City Hall has a whole floor of morons whose job it is, if someone comes up with an innovative idea, their job is to think up reasons why they cannot do it!!

In an older part of the city, the residents painted the fire hydrants black and white - like a cow - and they were told that they had to paint them yellow or red again - or whatever the approved colour is - because the fireman would not be able to find the fire hydrant if it was painted black and white blobs.

Like as if the firemen don't know where the fire hydrants are - and they have to go searching for them!!!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
My husband has a butcher shop

http://www.tendercut.ca/about.html
Could you please ask him to open a western branch

I take it you've had no trouble re the Sandwich board, then?
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:30 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the best Scottish Butcher's in Calgary. They make all their own sausages and pies, and "proper" cuts of meat. Their haggis is apparently famous throughout southern Alberta!

McEwan's, 9200 Elbow Drive, Calgary

You can place a large order if you know what you want in advance and don't want to drive down there and find they've run out of something. Definitely "worth a butcher's" IMHO!
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Here's the best Scottish Butcher's in Calgary. They make all their own sausages and pies, and "proper" cuts of meat. Their haggis is apparently famous throughout southern Alberta!

McEwan's, 9200 Elbow Drive, Calgary

You can place a large order if you know what you want in advance and don't want to drive down there and find they've run out of something. Definitely "worth a butcher's" IMHO!
Ooooooh thanks for that - I'll have a Butcher's hook next time I'm down that way!
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:43 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome!
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:37 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not at all sure how they rate compared to an English butchers shop, but Bon Ton Meat Market has an excellent reputation. Any time we have been by they seem to be very busy especially on weekends.

They are located at Stadium Shopping Centre at 16th Avenue and Uxbridge Drive N.W. right across from the Foothills Hospital on the north side of 16 Ave (Trans Canada Highway).

Billingsgate Seafood Market just recently moved into the same shopping centre. Apparently one of the major motivating factors was the proximity to Bon Ton Meats, for what ever that's worth.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; Jul 23rd 2006 at 3:45 pm.