Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping to the US

Shipping to the US

Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Shipping to the US

I am debating shipping a pallet to the US full of personal effects. Anyone done this yet?
Did you air freight it or send it surface?
I really cant be bothered to do too much research into it but I have gathered that every single item has to be listed on the manifest and that it has to be packed by the shipper.
Trouble is I am shipping over my tools and there's loads of individual sockets and crap like that, I dont really want to pay the shippers a fortune for some acne faced teenage shipping clerk to take an age to list everything when i an do it myself.
Help and advice appreciated
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping to the US

Originally Posted by rushman
I am debating shipping a pallet to the US full of personal effects. Anyone done this yet?
I really cant be bothered to do too much research into it but I have gathered that every single item has to be listed on the manifest and that it has to be packed by the shipper.
Trouble is I am shipping over my tools and there's loads of individual sockets and crap like that, I dont really want to pay the shippers a fortune for some acne faced teenage shipping clerk to take an age to list everything when i an do it myself.
Lazy git! Search for previous threads...
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celsius
Lazy git! Search for previous threads...
I hate people like you...now no one is going to answer seriously and i am going to be subjected to a tidal wave of abuse regarding my efforts to seek a satisfactory answer.

Lazy Cow...gimme a link!!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Trouble is I am shipping over my tools
err and how many tools do you have rushy
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:15 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

They have to pack it for you unfortunately, otherwise you might be called the POE in the US to unpack and detail it all to customs yourself. I dont know if you can send things by movers unless it is done this way, perhaps someone else can tell you. What you can do if you have lots of small parts and tools is be there when they pack your tools/sockets etc and agree with the packers that the contents are general lots of tools blah. They allowed me to identify stuff already boxed and just reboxed that box lol. Takes a very long time to get to the US - about 8 weeks for my stuff and was pretty expensive.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Tools?? Sockets???

WTF are you on about?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I....

Lazy Cow...gimme a link!!
http://www.lazycow.co.uk/
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take care of your tool anytime Rushy.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:23 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Sweetheart are you sure what you are getting into?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sweetheart are you sure what you are getting into?
Do think he means his nuts when he said sockets?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:26 pm
Homebody

Do think he means his nuts when he said sockets?
I cannot wait to hear the full details...

Probably stuff he needs for his - ehem - basement... :scared:
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Kate2112
They have to pack it for you unfortunately, otherwise you might be called the POE in the US to unpack and detail it all to customs yourself. I dont know if you can send things by movers unless it is done this way, perhaps someone else can tell you. What you can do if you have lots of small parts and tools is be there when they pack your tools/sockets etc and agree with the packers that the contents are general lots of tools blah. They allowed me to identify stuff already boxed and just reboxed that box lol. Takes a very long time to get to the US - about 8 weeks for my stuff and was pretty expensive.

When we sold our house in the UK, I packed a few boxes from Pickfords with personal items. I can't remember whether I listed the contents, I suppose I must have. Anyway I packed them and Pickfords collected them and yes if they go by sea it takes about 8 weeks. I think the cost goes by weight and size. So Rushy's boxes could be quite heavy.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

We did a whole container and they did the inventory as they packed. They kept it at a fairly high level - e.g. assorted tools, and that was sufficient.

I have heard horror stories where people have had to list every toy car themselves - but apparently you dont need to!! We used Crown Relocations and they were excellent.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

He has many. Are you still interested?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Celsius
He has many. Are you still interested?

I'll just keep Rushy in hand in case it doesn't work out with Lee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.