Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving with debt.

Leaving with debt.

Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:41 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Leaving with debt.

I hope someone can give me some advice on this issue. We are moving to Oz next year and if we have any debt left before we go, we are going to use the collateral from our house to pay it off.

Friends of ours are going this year and are telling us that we should just leave our debt here (like they are going to) as there is no agreement between the UK and Australia with regard to debt so no one will come after them to collect it.

Are they telling the truth (or possibly a warped version of it) or are they in serious danger of jeopardising their future and visa by going without settling up with creditors first? Surely if it were that easy everybody in debt would be up-ing sticks and moving abroad at the first sign of debt problems.

Any help no matter how small would be appreciated as I'd hate them to make a hash of the start of their dream new life.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:48 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Leaving with debt.

Hi dave, there have been many posts debating this, some say there is no agreement yet, but it's in the pipeline. Loads of people have left debt and never been chased up, others say they have heard of people being caught (the main thing there is "heard"!!, everyones heard stories!). So really it's up to you, if you have the money to clear the debts then do it as you dont want to look over your shoulder, or dont if you really can't afford to, really it's down to your own concience and your friends concience.

Good luck anyway with your move abroad and do a search on debt here and youl'll find loads.

Clairex
Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Kangaroorick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leaving with debt.

Originally Posted by dave7370
I hope someone can give me some advice on this issue. We are moving to Oz next year and if we have any debt left before we go, we are going to use the collateral from our house to pay it off.

Friends of ours are going this year and are telling us that we should just leave our debt here (like they are going to) as there is no agreement between the UK and Australia with regard to debt so no one will come after them to collect it.

Are they telling the truth (or possibly a warped version of it) or are they in serious danger of jeopardising their future and visa by going without settling up with creditors first? Surely if it were that easy everybody in debt would be up-ing sticks and moving abroad at the first sign of debt problems.

Any help no matter how small would be appreciated as I'd hate them to make a hash of the start of their dream new life.

Many thanks in advance.
I wouldnt know for sure if there is any credit agreements between UK and Oz collection agents and so on, but I dont rekon it's a gd idea to leave debt here, after all, you take on the debt with a promise to pay it off.

What im hoping to do is be upfront with my bank about my moving to Aus and my personal loan, tell them im unable/unwilling to pay it off in whole and would like to continue regular payments as agreed, that way I stay sweet with the bank and dont have to spend a chunk of my house sale in one go, leaving me more money to emmigrate.........got to think, things might go tits up in Aus, it would be bad enough coming back to the UK without having all that debt and interest
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Very enterntaining thread on this subject
here

Enjoy

Last edited by WendyC; Jun 8th 2006 at 1:28 am. Reason: Link not working :(
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:19 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Very enterntaining thread on this subject here

Enjoy
Que?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:20 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advance.
Hmmmmm? Character check? Hmmmmm?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:25 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks in advance.

What happens if they get there, it doesn't work out for one reason or another and they have to return to UK?

Their debt will still be here, waiting for them! Along with a bad credit score and probably a few other things!

I couldn't do it, I wouldn't take the risk, moving overseas is a big enough risk as it is, but to add to it unneccesarily is (in my humble opinion) rather silly.

Shirley
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Que?
Try again
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:42 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hmmmmm? Character check? Hmmmmm?
Yep

Persons found to be of dubious character can have their visa cancelled

http://www.immi.gov.au/faq/general/general06.htm

G
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do it! Ignore what your ['allegedly] 'thieving' friends say and pay it all back.

In an ever shrinking world - it's just not worth risking it.

Besides - there are so many who decide to return after a short time. You could be one of them and your ability to obtain credit in the future would seriously be questioned.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Leaving aside any moral questions, it is possible to pay off UK debts from Australia, so if you do not wish to use all your collateral to pay them first, then arrange with the companies concerned to continue paying from here. Nothing to stop you transferring money to UK bank account and leaving direct debits set up to make the payments.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Leaving aside any moral questions, it is possible to pay off UK debts from Australia, so if you do not wish to use all your collateral to pay them first, then arrange with the companies concerned to continue paying from here. Nothing to stop you transferring money to UK bank account and leaving direct debits set up to make the payments.
Exactly what we're doing from Canada. We have an open line of credit with our bank here, which is affiliated with Anzac bank in Oz. We intend to continue making regular monthly payments for the next year until it is paid off by depositing through Anzac into our Canadian bank. Bank of Montreal has kindly agreed to this arrangement. Talk to your banker and let them know of your plans. It is really a very small world as far as banking goes. I mean who would have thought that the Bank of Australia and New Zealand would be affiliated with the Bank of Montreal?????
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dotnron
Exactly what we're doing from Canada. We have an open line of credit with our bank here, which is affiliated with Anzac bank in Oz. We intend to continue making regular monthly payments for the next year until it is paid off by depositing through Anzac into our Canadian bank. Bank of Montreal has kindly agreed to this arrangement. Talk to your banker and let them know of your plans. It is really a very small world as far as banking goes. I mean who would have thought that the Bank of Australia and New Zealand would be affiliated with the Bank of Montreal?????
Canada and Australia have a reprocrial agreement with regards to debt. Which probably makes it easier for them to do that sort of thing. There is no such thing in place for the UK and Australia, yet.....
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

here are some http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/en...limitation_act
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Leaving with debt.

Tell your friends it is not worth the risk - I am aware of several students who thought as they were leaving they wouldnt have to pay their student loans back - moved to a non-EU country and they still found them.

Not to mention they contacted virtually every single member of the family still in the UK to try and track them down.

Now they have all set up regular payments to clear this up - I think they are lucky they where found so they can repay, as the credit black mark in the UK might cause problems in the future - you never know if they want to come back as they are still young.

Personally - I have been going without everything bar essentials for the last six months and by end of August I will be completely debt free (apart from mortgage - which will be settled during sale) for the first time since I was 18!!! And am I looking forward to that!!

At the end of the day, it is your friends choice - let their conscience decide, you do what is right for you.

Paula

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.