PR extension question

Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

oradba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR extension question

There is one question need help:

If my spouse and kids stay in OZ for more than 2 years within 5 years PR and I work in overseas in this period(only landed), will they gain another 5 years PR?

I believe so, but how about me?

cheers

oradba
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

John J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant future
Default Re: PR extension question

Your PR status means that you can remain in Australia indefinitely. However, when the 5 yr period is up your PR status is not changing but you (or your wife) would need a Resident Return Visa to return to Oz. This requirement obviously falls away if you acquire citizenship (and an Australian passport) during the 5 yr stay.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

oradba is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry for comnfuse...I am trying to make myself more clear...

if my fmaily(spouse and small kids) stay in oz for 2 years and then they can get another 5 year PR. in the mean time, I work in overseas to earn money....what will happen after my 5 year PR period(i dont stay 2 years but my family meet this requirment)..any idea?

cheers,

oradba

Originally Posted by John J
Your PR status means that you can remain in Australia indefinitely. However, when the 5 yr period is up your PR status is not changing but you (or your wife) would need a Resident Return Visa to return to Oz. This requirement obviously falls away if you acquire citizenship (and an Australian passport) during the 5 yr stay.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oradba
sorry for comnfuse...I am trying to make myself more clear...

if my fmaily(spouse and small kids) stay in oz for 2 years and then they can get another 5 year PR. in the mean time, I work in overseas to earn money....what will happen after my 5 year PR period(i dont stay 2 years but my family meet this requirment)..any idea?

cheers,

oradba
As far as I know you don't get another PR visa. 2 years residency at the moment qualifies you for citizenship but it is soon to increase to 3 years needed (possibly). When the visa has expired you can stay in Australia but you are unable to leave Australia without first applying for a Resident Return Visa (RRV).

In your case I'm not sure what would happen. In the worst case scenario I'm guessing your wife would have to sponsor you on a spouse visa to get you another 5 years PR.

Perhaps an agent who is knowledgable about these things will be able to answer you definitively, the above is just my guesses based on my limited knowledge
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 10:14 am
Jessica Stooke

In order to obtain a 5 year Resident Return Visa you will need to be
physically resident in Australia for 2 years out of 5 years of which 1
year needs to be within the 2 years immediately before you apply.

If your family satisfy these requirements they will be able to obtain
the 5 year RRV.

If you do not meet these requirements because you have been working
overseas you will need to show that you have strong ties to Australia.
If all of your immediate family are resident in Australia and you have
assets in Australia (house, etc...) this may be sufficient for you
obtain a 5 year RRV.

Best of luck!

--

--

Posted via http://www.mymigration.net

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 11:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jessica Stooke
In order to obtain a 5 year Resident Return Visa you will need to be
physically resident in Australia for 2 years out of 5 years of which 1
year needs to be within the 2 years immediately before you apply.

If your family satisfy these requirements they will be able to obtain
the 5 year RRV.

If you do not meet these requirements because you have been working
overseas you will need to show that you have strong ties to Australia.
If all of your immediate family are resident in Australia and you have
assets in Australia (house, etc...) this may be sufficient for you
obtain a 5 year RRV.
It is possible to obtain a 5 year RRV if one's spouse is granted a 5 year RRV. However if you start living separately long term, DIMA may well question whether you are still effectively married.