Reload this Page >

Advice moving to Boston MA.

Advice moving to Boston MA.

Old May 28th 2006, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

gmdale is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice moving to Boston MA.

Hi,

I'm moving to boston with the wife and son in tow in July / August depending on how quickly we can find and place and sort things UK side.

It will be a two year ex-pat deal with the company i work for, and they'll help with rent etc.. but looking on the net, I'm having a little difficulty finding any kind of rental people for houses.

we're looking to get a 3 bed house if pos out toward / around Burlington.

Does anyone have any recommended real estate people in this area?

Any advice on exactly how things work state-side in terms of renting a place?

Also with cars, we going to buy a car when we arrive. I understand insurance works similarly to the UK, how about tax? do they need some kind of MOT's?

Final one - how do kindergartens / nursery's work there? What age do / can they start at. mini-me is 2 and half years old. Is there any web site to search for local school / nursery you'd recommend?

All help much appreciated!!
Old May 28th 2006, 6:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice moving to Boston MA.

Can't help to much as I'm kind doing the google myself...but AC....whatever you get, get AC....summer might not be long here, but it sucks balls without it.

Oh, and car, for 2 years, might as well lease...but anyway, you get car, you register car and have insurance, which is expensive...and MOT, depends on the state, I think they have an inspection every year, I can't remember, but it's not expensive or tough, if you go to some side garage, it's a case of lights on, indicators and it's passed, $12...
You'll have to register a license plate, kind of follows a person rather than a car and has to be done each year when you register the car, don't know what it is in MA, but it's around $120 a year in ME, plus if you have a vanity plate an extra $20 a year. First time you get a car it'll be more because you'll also have to pay tax on it, and the rates to register depend on county as well as the state, so it'll vary.

As for schools, usually at 5, but there's kindergarden type places, google will through some up and also people have asked in the past on the forum, might have some luck searching for those too...

Another thought, get a GPS unit as soon as you get a car because driving through boston sucks monkey nuts, and parking is enough to make your blood boil, especially anywhere downtown on home games....and parking is very expensive, so see if you can either blag parking expenses off the company, or month passes for the T, the underground, which really is a pretty good service
Old May 28th 2006, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh, and car, for 2 years, might as well lease...but anyway, you get car, you register car and have insurance, which is expensive...and MOT, depends on the state, I think they have an inspection every year, I can't remember, but it's not expensive or tough, if you go to some side garage, it's a case of lights on, indicators and it's passed, $12...
You'll have to register a license plate, kind of follows a person rather than a car and has to be done each year when you register the car, don't know what it is in MA, but it's around $120 a year in ME, plus if you have a vanity plate an extra $20 a year. First time you get a car it'll be more because you'll also have to pay tax on it, and the rates to register depend on county as well as the state, so it'll vary.
Nice 1.
Old May 28th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Each time a car changes hands it has to have a new inspection sticker, .... which I think is very silly.
As for a house .... Houses around Boston are very expensive to say the least.

Not that I live there but I deliver to the area most of the working week and I get this from talking to the people I meet.

What company do you work for if I may be so nosey ?
Old May 28th 2006, 8:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmdale
Nice 1.
http://www.salary.com/home/layoutscr...ml_display.asp

check that out to, pretty good idea of what your take home pay will be and can compare to the industry
Old May 28th 2006, 8:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Each time a car changes hands it has to have a new inspection sticker, .... which I think is very silly.
really? blimey...definitely a state thing, as it sticks with the car in ME, and somestates you can go years without an inspection...always a pain in the arse *lol*
Old May 28th 2006, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
What company do you work for if I may be so nosey ?
Nokia.
Old May 28th 2006, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

And $73 a year for a vanity plate that has to be renewed every November...well I think there goes my limey tag, either that, or I don't register my motor at all...can't believe how expensive it is to register a motor down there with new title, and drivers license swap...ouch...be keeping my maine ones for as long as possible me thinks...if a mate can keep her CT tags and license in MA for over 3 years and a mate keep his Texas plate and license in ME for 5 years...
Old May 28th 2006, 10:50 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmdale
Hi,

I'm moving to boston with the wife and son in tow in July / August depending on how quickly we can find and place and sort things UK side.

It will be a two year ex-pat deal with the company i work for, and they'll help with rent etc.. but looking on the net, I'm having a little difficulty finding any kind of rental people for houses.

we're looking to get a 3 bed house if pos out toward / around Burlington.

Does anyone have any recommended real estate people in this area?

Any advice on exactly how things work state-side in terms of renting a place?

Also with cars, we going to buy a car when we arrive. I understand insurance works similarly to the UK, how about tax? do they need some kind of MOT's?

Final one - how do kindergartens / nursery's work there? What age do / can they start at. mini-me is 2 and half years old. Is there any web site to search for local school / nursery you'd recommend?

All help much appreciated!!

Hi there and welcome to the site
I can't help with all your questions but I do know that kindergarten starts at 5 yrs old. There are some pre-k programs for children 3-5 yrs but I don't know if these are readily available in every state. My child is also 2 1/2 yrs old. You generally find that you will need a daycare (or homecare e.t.c) until they are old enough for school programs
Only speaking from NY's point of view here but if you buy a new car then it has a year long inspection sticker already with it. You then renew the inspection sticker usually yearly but I have a feeling that with a new car you get 2 years with the first one. Older cars require a new inspection every 12 months. You have to have a valid registration which can be purchased for different time lengths, I believe 1 year is $75.00. Insurance gets paid quarterly usually (well our company bills that way) and it will go by driving history, how far you commute in the vehicle, where it is parked usually (in a safe place or not) and obviously it will go by the car itself. You buy a 2 door sporty little number then you will pay more than if you have a 4 door safe little car.
I think that's all I can tell you,
Good luck (and welcome to the USA in advance!)
Old May 28th 2006, 11:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone mention the fact that, in order to buy a car, you need insurance (which will cost an arm and a leg because you have no US record), and to get insurance you'll need to get a US driver's licence, and to get the latter you need a SSN and proof of legal status, which sometimes takes a while to sort out...

Ah the fun of it...

Oh, and assuming you can't pay cash for the car: because you do not have a US credit history, the interest rate will be sky-high... :scared:

Welcome to the US of A!
Old May 29th 2006, 12:52 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Did anyone mention the fact that, in order to buy a car, you need insurance (which will cost an arm and a leg because you have no US record), and to get insurance you'll need to get a US driver's licence, and to get the latter you need a SSN and proof of legal status, which sometimes takes a while to sort out...

Ah the fun of it...

Oh, and assuming you can't pay cash for the car: because you do not have a US credit history, the interest rate will be sky-high... :scared:

Welcome to the US of A!

No-one said it would be easy!
Old May 29th 2006, 1:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Elvira
you don't actually need insurance to buy the car, but you do need it to register the car....and you don't need a license to get insurance...but finding a place that will bother is the question, and yeah, it'll be an arm and a leg.

$90 to transfer an out of state license, soddin' hell....almost cheaper to re-take the test...be then you'd need to go into the depths of hell for a full DMV, or RMV as they call it in Mass.
Old May 29th 2006, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, I live not far from Burlington. Not a Brit but I've lived in MA most of my life so maybe I can help a little. For apartments you could either check The Boston Globe online (Sunday is best) or try typing in "houses for rent Boston area", if you haven't already.

Rents are REALLY high around here but assuming you are successful in finding something, you will probably be required to pay a last month's rent along with your first month's rent and sometimes a month's rent for a refundable security deposit too. You might be better off getting a three bedroom apartment IN a house, it could be cheaper. You will probably sign a yearly lease and you will probably want to have references to provide.

Cars, I don't know what MOT's are but here when you buy a car you take it to the Registry of Motor Vehicles and they give you the plates/tags for it as well as your registration and they will issue you a certificate of title. We pay tax when we buy a car and it is based upon the price you paid for the car. Insurance is sky high here and you can either pay it all at once or in monthly installments. Inspection is yearly and is required when a car changes hands and doesn't cost that much. Don't drive in Boston unless you have to!!!!!!!

You may as well wait until you get here and just ask around for a good preschool as it will all depend upon where you end up living and it's best to do it by word of mouth to make sure that you get a good one.

That's all I know, hope it is of some help.

[QUOTE=gmdale]Hi,

Old May 29th 2006, 2:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by newenglander
Hi, I live not far from Burlington. Not a Brit but I've lived in MA most of my life so maybe I can help a little. For apartments you could either check The Boston Globe online (Sunday is best) or try typing in "houses for rent Boston area", if you haven't already.
another source, craigslist, quite a bit for Mass...so you never know, might have luck there with it

http://boston.craigslist.org/
Old May 29th 2006, 2:54 am
Just Joined

andy620 is an unknown quantity at this point

Car - You will need to buy the vehicle with cash as it is unlikely you will be able to score any credit.

Insurance - You can get insurance based on your UK record as long as you have your copies of your UK insurance record. Also in Mass, Vehicle Insurance is fixed by the state so it doesn't pay to shop around. It's also bloomin expensive.

Licence - Your insurance company will not re-issue you a policy on your second year unless you get a Mass drivers licence which unless your German!! you will have to take the test which is two part, theory and practical. A state trooper will accompany you for a short drive up the Interstate.

MOT - Renew it every year, similar to UK, although not sure what the rule is if you purchase a new car. You do need to register it and pay local tax to your town. If you purchase at a dealership they will sort out the plates.

Rent - 3 bedroomed in Burlington. Probably in the $1,700 range. As stated, The Globe and Craigslist are the most common places for finding somewhere.

The only thing I know about Burlington is the Mall. Happy Shopping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.