Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Early Morning Wake Up Call

Early Morning Wake Up Call

Old May 4th 2006, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Early Morning Wake Up Call

I was woken up this morning about 3.30 ish...not sure what I felt or heard but something wasnt quite right. I tried to get back to sleep but couldnt. My 2 year old DS woke after that and I got him back to sleep ok. I heard a faint beeping noise and thought it might be a smoke alarm.... I realised it was OH's Fire Service bleeper going off. I asked him if he was off out on a call and he said no it was Tsunami warning. It said to check Local Media so we rushed upstairs to put BBC World News on... flashed across the screen in big writing was Tsunami warning for Fiji and New Zealand. We watched it for a while and after about 20 minutes they said that the warning for NZ was cancelled. His bleeper went off again to say it was cancelled too. First reports said it was an earthquake near Tonga 8.1 on Richter Scale.

Later they said it was downgraded to 7.9.... only waves to have been seen were about a foot high.

http://www.geonet.org.nz/x2562641g_l.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4970308.stm

Did anyone feel the earthquake as maybe that was what woke me at 3.30 this morning!?

SarahB
Old May 4th 2006, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Early Morning Wake Up Call

Originally Posted by SarahB
I was woken up this morning about 3.30 ish...not sure what I felt or heard but something wasnt quite right. I tried to get back to sleep but couldnt. My 2 year old DS woke after that and I got him back to sleep ok. I heard a faint beeping noise and thought it might be a smoke alarm.... I realised it was OH's Fire Service bleeper going off. I asked him if he was off out on a call and he said no it was Tsunami warning. It said to check Local Media so we rushed upstairs to put BBC World News on... flashed across the screen in big writing was Tsunami warning for Fiji and New Zealand. We watched it for a while and after about 20 minutes they said that the warning for NZ was cancelled. His bleeper went off again to say it was cancelled too. First reports said it was an earthquake near Tonga 8.1 on Richter Scale.

Later they said it was downgraded to 7.9.... only waves to have been seen were about a foot high.

http://www.geonet.org.nz/x2562641g_l.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4970308.stm

Did anyone feel the earthquake as maybe that was what woke me at 3.30 this morning!?

SarahB
Gosh, Sarah
I actually saw the news and warning last night on a news flash
and then thankfully the news soon to follow that the warning had been cancelled
Thank god your all ok
Shelly
Old May 4th 2006, 5:10 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early Morning Wake Up Call

Good to see the warning system seemed to work. Maybe we don't live in a third world country!