Dog: $2 per ounce (yikes)

Old May 3rd 2006, 6:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog: $2 per ounce (yikes)

Well, to confirm what everyone else has been saying, Suzy (55 lb Lab) will cost over $1,700 to fly cargo on British Airways.

That works out at over $30 a pound or (gulp) $2 an ounce!

That's a bit different than the $150 she cost the last two times she flew across the briny!

A few things:

The cost supposedly includes "all charges" (I've heard that before - I'll believe it when I see it!), including handling charges at the UK end.

Most of the cost is based on the dimensions of the carrier (I think it's termed "volumetric weight"). Actual weight only adds 63 cents per kilo (some kind of fuel charge).

You can't book your dog on the flight until 14 days beforehand (so you have to book your own ticket and then hope that a half-dozen other dog owners don't call up the same morning!)

The cost is the same regardless of whether you are on the same flight.

If you make a change to your dog's reservation (say, change days), there is no extra charge like there would be when a passenger changes his/her ticket (I'd bloody hope not, at $1,700 a pop!).

And lastly (I bolded this so you don't miss it): has anyone else taken a dog via Washington DC, and if so, where did you get the flea and worm treatment done?
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog: $2 per ounce (yikes)

shave the bugger and save a few bob
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:47 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Well, to confirm what everyone else has been saying, Suzy (55 lb Lab) will cost over $1,700 to fly cargo on British Airways.

That's a bit different than the $150 she cost the last two times she flew across the briny!

A few things:

The cost supposedly includes "all charges" (I've heard that before - I'll believe it when I see it!), including handling charges at the UK end.

Most of the cost is based on the dimensions of the carrier (I think it's termed "volumetric weight"). Actual weight only adds 63 cents per kilo (some kind of fuel charge).

You can't book your dog on the flight until 14 days beforehand (so you have to book your own ticket and then hope that a half-dozen other dog owners don't call up the same morning!)

If you make a change to your dog's reservation (say, change days), there is no extra charge like there would be when a passenger changes his/her ticket (I'd bloody hope not, at $1,700 a pop!).

And lastly (I bolded this so you don't miss it): has anyone else taken a dog via Washington DC, and if so, where did you get the flea and worm treatment done?
Just a thought: perhaps you should post on

http://www.flyertalk.com in the 'Travelbuzz' section (may need to register first)

It's a website dedicated to frequent flyers and people working in the aviation industry - inc. travel agents, cabin crew etc. I reckon someone there will have a suggestion for you to get around the high fees....it's worth a try anyway.
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
shave the bugger and save a few bob
She's definitely going on a diet, starting tomorrow.
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

She's definitely going on a diet, starting tomorrow.
Don't you dare starve that poor pup! LOL.

You are doing better than we did considering our dog weighed 43 pounds, we flew in November and when gas was cheaper. For that we paid just over 1700 USD. BA did not charge us anymore fees once we arrived at Gatwick and in fact took 6 weeks to actually put the charge for the whole thing on my credit card. I have heard though that other airlines don't charge you everything up front like BA so it's always wise to check.
Old May 5th 2006, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

A few things:

Did you give up on the QM2 idea? Wasn't it only $500 for a dog with them or is she too big?

Duh...I post this and then notice the thread about the end of the QM2 idea
Old May 5th 2006, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Good grief, I hope your dog gets full cabin service and a window seat for that.
Old May 5th 2006, 1:41 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Good grief, I hope your dog gets full cabin service and a window seat for that.
Well, I think I should at least get a free upgrade to first class!

So far, she has cost me about $10,000 in connection with my travels across the Atlantic (2000, 2001, and now 2006). Most of this was for the first time (quarantine was not cheap!).

But she has been worth every penny.

I am never short of offers to "take her" for me whenever I expatriate, but I wouldn't dream of taking anyone up on the offer. She's getting middle-aged (9 years), but still very fit and healthy. The only thing that would make me even think about giving her up is if I thought she wasn't healthy enough to travel. And (HOPEFULLY!!!!) she won't need to do any more transAtlantic trips after this one.
Old May 5th 2006, 1:45 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Did you give up on the QM2 idea? Wasn't it only $500 for a dog with them or is she too big?

Duh...I post this and then notice the thread about the end of the QM2 idea
I know, it's hard to keep up at times, isn't it?
Old May 5th 2006, 1:52 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just a thought: perhaps you should post on

http://www.flyertalk.com in the 'Travelbuzz' section (may need to register first)

It's a website dedicated to frequent flyers and people working in the aviation industry - inc. travel agents, cabin crew etc. I reckon someone there will have a suggestion for you to get around the high fees....it's worth a try anyway.
Thanks for the suggestion, EM. I'm getting to the point where I just want it to be settled so I am about to book my flight with BA (but why is it so hard to just click on the "Buy Now" button? Aaaargh)

I found a return ticket with BA that will bring me back to Baltimore in March (when I have a conference there), for about $870. As a oneway ticket was about $800, I think this is a decent deal (and I just know if I don't book it soon it will have disappeared next time I look!). I was expecting to pay over $1,000 just for a oneway ticket, in July.
Old May 6th 2006, 8:10 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooops, thought this was a thread about prices at a north korean meat market.
Old May 6th 2006, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestion, EM. I'm getting to the point where I just want it to be settled so I am about to book my flight with BA (but why is it so hard to just click on the "Buy Now" button? Aaaargh)

I found a return ticket with BA that will bring me back to Baltimore in March (when I have a conference there), for about $870. As a oneway ticket was about $800, I think this is a decent deal (and I just know if I don't book it soon it will have disappeared next time I look!). I was expecting to pay over $1,000 just for a oneway ticket, in July.
Are you only two weeks out from leaving? You can't book the dog until then and you may not be able to get her on your flight if you book at a different time than the dog. The first date we wanted to fly on wouldn't do for the dog since another animal had been booked for that day. The other dog was going into quarantine and since ours wasn't, they wouldn't put her on the same flight.

Never book a one way ticket........They are always more expensive than roundtrip. Even if you don't use the return, book a roundtrip.
Old May 7th 2006, 12:02 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

have you looked at other airlines? I've not bought any pets over before, but just for flights I'v usually found BA to be one of if not the most expensive.
Old May 7th 2006, 1:39 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Scout
Are you only two weeks out from leaving? You can't book the dog until then and you may not be able to get her on your flight if you book at a different time than the dog. The first date we wanted to fly on wouldn't do for the dog since another animal had been booked for that day. The other dog was going into quarantine and since ours wasn't, they wouldn't put her on the same flight.

Never book a one way ticket........They are always more expensive than roundtrip. Even if you don't use the return, book a roundtrip.
That's a good question, and no, I am a lot more than 2 weeks out (2 months, in fact - Tuesday 11 July).

I was surprised that they said you can't book the dog until 2 weeks before, and concerned that my ticket price would be out of proportion if I waited until 2 weeks prior, which is why I have booked it (yesterday, in fact).

The BA cargo guy at Dulles said to call first thing in the morning on Day 14 pre-flight and there should not be a problem getting her a spot.

In fact, waiting to book my ticket is no guarantee against disaster, because both things are booked separately. In the space of time it takes to book one, the other could become overbooked (and you are supposed to book your own ticket and then the dog's, apparently).

Now, if I do call first thing in the a.m. 14 days prior and someone has got in there before me, there'll be hell to pay. The cost is no different if she is on a different flight, but of course I'd have to determine dog supervision at one end or the other, in that case.
Old May 7th 2006, 1:41 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Wildandcrazy0525
have you looked at other airlines? I've not bought any pets over before, but just for flights I'v usually found BA to be one of if not the most expensive.
You can only go via DEFRA-approved routes and via DEFRA-approved airlines.

From Dulles it has to be BA or Virgin. BA were brilliant with my dog last 2 times, and Virgin have received some bad press from BE folks re: the US end of things (plus they are a tad more expensive, from what I can tell).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.