Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Termites White ants?

Termites White ants?

Old May 2nd 2006, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future
Default Termites White ants?

Hi Everyone,
I read a post yesterday about termites eating someones new extension in ten months. This has scared the life out of me. I am not sure I want to move to Oz anymore now. Are you fighting a losing battle with these creatures?
Old May 2nd 2006, 4:39 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Termites White ants?

Originally Posted by canaveral
Hi Everyone,
I read a post yesterday about termites eating someones new extension in ten months. This has scared the life out of me. I am not sure I want to move to Oz anymore now. Are you fighting a losing battle with these creatures?
its not the termites

its the spiders, snakes, crocs and sharks you should worry about
Old May 2nd 2006, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve`o
its not the termites

its the spiders, snakes, crocs and sharks you should worry about
I have got over my fear of spider, croc snakes but the roof falling in on you as you sleep!
20k worth of damage every year or so
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

By boss just discovered termites in his roof despite having his house treated a couple of years back.

It's going to cost him at least $15 grand and to this effect he is now looking for a better paid job which is shitting me as he's a great boss.
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:59 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

It is really important to have your property inspected at least every year, more often if you suspect the little munchers are about, or if you have had previous termite activity.

My home had a steel roof frame so thats one thing i dont have to worry about, although they can munch their way through anything wooden if it suits their taste buds.

Lynn
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

In some ways, its not the roof you need to worry about you can replace tresses, if its a pitched roof then the weight is bourne not just at the edges. Of course everything has a structural limit...and you don't want it coming down as you're doing the replacement or before you notice.

A real worry is if the top plate or bottom plate are damaged as these support the weight of the roof and the studs.

Providing it doesn't all give, replacing stud walls is easy. Have to pin or support the weight of the roof whilst you're doing it(!), I'm guessing.
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:23 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone we know bought a house in excess of $1,500,000 and in so doing stretched themselves a lot financially. They were having some work done before they moved in and the builders found the whole of the back of the house had termites in it and had to be taken down and rebuilt, costing them a small fortune! :scared:
Old May 3rd 2006, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a couple of things that can help keep termites away.

1. Ensure basement/attic is as damp free as possible – increase airflow with additional vents, check for dripping pipes. Remove any soil and timber from the basement.

2. Don’t have any trees or bushes in physical contact with the house. This gives them easy access to areas above the ant capping.
Old May 3rd 2006, 5:57 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,
That'll be me unfortunately!
As much as I am pretty f**ked up right now, it is almost certainly because the extension termite barrier was not done correctly.
As long as you have annual checks and annual spray ($150 ish) you should be OK. Keeps out spiders, ants anc cockroaches too.
I am just unlucky to have got a crap builder.

Andrew
Old May 3rd 2006, 6:20 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

While termites are found throughout Qld and for that matter most of Australia our area is particularly bad so with that in mind we opted to go for a high-set home. Our place has 2.4m steel stumps at the front and 6 m at the back. Checking for termites is as easy as walking around the stumps once a week looking for any signs of mud tunnels.
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cresta57
While termites are found throughout Qld and for that matter most of Australia our area is particularly bad so with that in mind we opted to go for a high-set home. Our place has 2.4m steel stumps at the front and 6 m at the back. Checking for termites is as easy as walking around the stumps once a week looking for any signs of mud tunnels.
I am moving to Sydney. Any good information or preventions would very much be appreciated.
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andrew63
That'll be me unfortunately!
As much as I am pretty f**ked up right now, it is almost certainly because the extension termite barrier was not done correctly.
As long as you have annual checks and annual spray ($150 ish) you should be OK. Keeps out spiders, ants anc cockroaches too.
I am just unlucky to have got a crap builder.

Andrew
Feel really bad for you Andrew
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:39 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Feel really bad for you Andrew
No worries!
Apart from being pi**ed off, it's not so bad. As long as I can prove they came in through defective workmanship, the BSA Insurance policy covers. (All registered housebuilders must have this and it lasts for 6.5 years after build.
WHite Ant people came today and confirmed the builder didn't do the job properly.
Fortunately, builder has accepted it was his error and is paying for the full removal and repair!
If anything, in retrospect, I am lucky to get the infestation so quickly. If it happened after 6 years I would have been absolutely knackered.
At least it won't cost me a penny to get all fixed up!

Every cloud blah blah blah.........

Andrew
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

No worries!
Apart from being pi**ed off, it's not so bad. As long as I can prove they came in through defective workmanship, the BSA Insurance policy covers. (All registered housebuilders must have this and it lasts for 6.5 years after build.
WHite Ant people came today and confirmed the builder didn't do the job properly.
Fortunately, builder has accepted it was his error and is paying for the full removal and repair!
If anything, in retrospect, I am lucky to get the infestation so quickly. If it happened after 6 years I would have been absolutely knackered.

Andrew
A while back there were a series of postings about over-regulation of building trades.

Hmmm, I wonder why the over-regulation?

Consumer protection perhaps?

WW
Old May 3rd 2006, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

No worries!

Andrew
excellent news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.