Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Larry in the lions den

Larry in the lions den

Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Larry in the lions den

The locals were pretty nonchalent about the possibilities of a cyclone coming in. They had heard it all before type attitude.

Well, I decided to heed the warnings so after dropping the wife off to work on Sunday morning I headed straight for Coles who opened at 9am. Picked up a few emergency things like candles, radio batteries, tinned food, bottled water, long life milk and the like. By the time I got to the till they were seven deep and the manager was phoning around to get more staff in. Some people were heeding it too then.

Spent the rest of the morning taking everything from outside into the garage. Got some strange looks from neighbours I can tell you. Picked the wife up at midday, had a bite to eat and popped into Bunnings. Picked up black refuse sacks, some torches and rope. Da Boss asks why I would need rope and I explain it's to tie her to the bed .......but only if there's a danger of her being blown away.

Had a relaxing afternoon centred around the swimming pool. The whole day was very still and very hot and humid. The lull before the storm I guess. It was a bit surreal really. Reading Pollys updates about this violent cyclone coming yet it was so peaceful. Retired for the day at about midnight I guess.

Next thing I know me body is being shaken......no, not the cyclone but Da Boss waking me up at 6.30am saying she wanted company because the wind had been blowing like buggery for some time and it was getting worse. We had already lost the electric so no cuppa this morning then. Oh yes there was cos Da Boss had done a flask when she got up earlier

Well Polly, the prediction was right. The worst was between 7am and 9am. The roof tiles thumped up and down, the glass was bowing with the force, the doors were trying to burst open. We drew the curtains in the hope it would help contain the glass if a window went pop. I opened the small windows at the oposite side from the wind to equalise the air pressure. told everyone to stay away from the large windows and that if it got any worse we would have to go into the narrow corridor and put a mattress over us. Thankfully that turned out not to be necessary.

The wooden fence at the back of the property is pretty well sheltered but was moving 2 feet in either direction with the gusts. The poles had not broken but the power of the wind was moving them even though they were concreted into the ground.

The rain although not heavy was horizontal. All the anti weed black plastic that is pegged into the ground covering the garden was gone. Fine day for flying kites I thought. Everything you could see was being buffetted to and fro first right then left. Darnie, that was a strong wind blowin me ansome.

All we could do was sit, and hope and wait. We were listening to the radio as the news was unfurling about the catastrophe happening a few kilometers down the road. There but the grace of god go I.

I guess it was about 10am when it abated and by about 11am it was still again. We surveyed around the property and were thankful we had escaped any real damage. Boy did it get hot and steamy again and with not a breath of a breeze.

The wildlife all came out of hiding too. The one bush that was left with any flowers on it was a big attraction especially to the butterflies. Two Ulysses came by and almost landed on me. They are large and coloured a beautiful rich blue. Usually you are lucky to see one.

Rest of the day was spent cleaning up. The radio were reporting the disaster stories. A cement mixer bowl being blown down the road, trees landing on houses, fences being blown down or away, garden sheds blown into neighbouring properties etc etc.

All electric was lost and the phones which were originally working for a few hours after the cyclone also went down. The radio broadcast that the police would not allow anyone on the roads until further notice as there were high voltage cables down everywhere and trees and debris blocking roads. Emergency services were in full swing. some people obviously ignored the message as they later gave out that anyone found on the roads without a very, very good reason would be arrested.

That night the conditions were oppressive. It was like sleeping in your own sweat...far more humid than normal just at a time you had no solution to combat it with. Living life without electricity is unusual to say the least but at least we had water. We were back in business a couple of days later and are thankful for that. The rest is an ongoing clean up campaign around Cairns.

We know we were very lucky. There is no doubt in anyones mind that if the eye of the cyclone had crossed over Cairns there would have been fatalities.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:14 pm
Banned

tinker4oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Larry in the lions den

Originally Posted by Bix
The locals were pretty nonchalent about the possibilities of a cyclone coming in. They had heard it all before type attitude.

Well, I decided to heed the warnings so after dropping the wife off to work on Sunday morning I headed straight for Coles who opened at 9am. Picked up a few emergency things like candles, radio batteries, tinned food, bottled water, long life milk and the like. By the time I got to the till they were seven deep and the manager was phoning around to get more staff in. Some people were heeding it too then.

Spent the rest of the morning taking everything from outside into the garage. Got some strange looks from neighbours I can tell you. Picked the wife up at midday, had a bite to eat and popped into Bunnings. Picked up black refuse sacks, some torches and rope. Da Boss asks why I would need rope and I explain it's to tie her to the bed .......but only if there's a danger of her being blown away.

Had a relaxing afternoon centred around the swimming pool. The whole day was very still and very hot and humid. The lull before the storm I guess. It was a bit surreal really. Reading Pollys updates about this violent cyclone coming yet it was so peaceful. Retired for the day at about midnight I guess.

Next thing I know me body is being shaken......no, not the cyclone but Da Boss waking me up at 6.30am saying she wanted company because the wind had been blowing like buggery for some time and it was getting worse. We had already lost the electric so no cuppa this morning then. Oh yes there was cos Da Boss had done a flask when she got up earlier

Well Polly, the prediction was right. The worst was between 7am and 9am. The roof tiles thumped up and down, the glass was bowing with the force, the doors were trying to burst open. We drew the curtains in the hope it would help contain the glass if a window went pop. I opened the small windows at the oposite side from the wind to equalise the air pressure. told everyone to stay away from the large windows and that if it got any worse we would have to go into the narrow corridor and put a mattress over us. Thankfully that turned out not to be necessary.

The wooden fence at the back of the property is pretty well sheltered but was moving 2 feet in either direction with the gusts. The poles had not broken but the power of the wind was moving them even though they were concreted into the ground.

The rain although not heavy was horizontal. All the anti weed black plastic that is pegged into the ground covering the garden was gone. Fine day for flying kites I thought. Everything you could see was being buffetted to and fro first right then left. Darnie, that was a strong wind blowin me ansome.

All we could do was sit, and hope and wait. We were listening to the radio as the news was unfurling about the catastrophe happening a few kilometers down the road. There but the grace of god go I.

I guess it was about 10am when it abated and by about 11am it was still again. We surveyed around the property and were thankful we had escaped any real damage. Boy did it get hot and steamy again and with not a breath of a breeze.

The wildlife all came out of hiding too. The one bush that was left with any flowers on it was a big attraction especially to the butterflies. Two Ulysses came by and almost landed on me. They are large and coloured a beautiful rich blue. Usually you are lucky to see one.

Rest of the day was spent cleaning up. The radio were reporting the disaster stories. A cement mixer bowl being blown down the road, trees landing on houses, fences being blown down or away, garden sheds blown into neighbouring properties etc etc.

All electric was lost and the phones which were originally working for a few hours after the cyclone also went down. The radio broadcast that the police would not allow anyone on the roads until further notice as there were high voltage cables down everywhere and trees and debris blocking roads. Emergency services were in full swing. some people obviously ignored the message as they later gave out that anyone found on the roads without a very, very good reason would be arrested.

That night the conditions were oppressive. It was like sleeping in your own sweat...far more humid than normal just at a time you had no solution to combat it with. Living life without electricity is unusual to say the least but at least we had water. We were back in business a couple of days later and are thankful for that. The rest is an ongoing clean up campaign around Cairns.

We know we were very lucky. There is no doubt in anyones mind that if the eye of the cyclone had crossed over Cairns there would have been fatalities.
best of luck with your troubles
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Blimey O'Riley!

Glad you folks are OK. How often would you say you get 'extreme' weather up there Bix?

Something to look forward to when I get there I suppose...
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:17 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! That's a fantastic post, I've been waiting to hear what happend during the storm - good job you were prepared. You must've been a boy scount

Nature is an incredibly powerful thing eh.

Karma sent
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:31 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tonyk38] How often would you say you get 'extreme' weather up there Bix? [QUOTE]

It's the first I've witnessed in my 17 months here Tony.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:34 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

What a nightmare bet you were having kittens! (sorry )

Just thank god you are all ok
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by possoms
What a nightmare bet you were having kittens! (sorry )

Just thank god you are all ok
Didn't scare me I'm king of the jungle
Attached Thumbnails Larry in the lions den-loewe018.gif  
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:48 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Not good quality but his was when she was blowing....
Attached Thumbnails Larry in the lions den-100_0865.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0866.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0868.jpg  
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:51 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Around town.
Attached Thumbnails Larry in the lions den-100_0881.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0882.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0884.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0888.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0891.jpg  

Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bix][QUOTE=tonyk38] How often would you say you get 'extreme' weather up there Bix?

It's the first I've witnessed in my 17 months here Tony.
There hasn't been one like that since Tracy in 1974 that hit Darwin.
I have spent today doing nothing but booking flights and motel rooms/bunks/spaces on caravan floors for SES volunteers to fly up and help with the clear up. Those people are worth their wieght in gold. I also heard of one of our senior staff up in the north who stayed at work in the worst hit areas, right through till Tuesday, and not until then did he have confirmation that his own family were safe - they were in another badly hit area. I'm full of admiration for their dedication and the way they are flat out sorting things out for those who have lost everything, including the structure of their houses.

Bix, that is a fascinating account, you and da Boss were amongst those on my mind last Monday. That was the eeriest feeling I have ever had. We all sat, about 20 of us, in the Coordination centre in Brisbane, watching the weather radar, and you could hear a pin drop pn the carpet between 7 and 9am. After 2 days of frantic planning, getting ready to launch the response as soon as the eye passed, we had to just sit ....and wait....no phones ringing, just our worst imaginings of what could be happening.
I'm so relieved all you guys came through OK. You were so lucky. The devastation that would have resulted from a direct hit on Cairns doesn't bear thinking about.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Some more.....
Attached Thumbnails Larry in the lions den-100_0893.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0894.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0895.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0898.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0900.jpg  

Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:00 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

And more.........
Attached Thumbnails Larry in the lions den-100_0901.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0902.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0903.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0909.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0910.jpg  

Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:02 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

More.........
Attached Thumbnails Larry in the lions den-100_0913.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0914.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0918.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0919.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0920.jpg  

Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:05 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Debris everywhere
Attached Thumbnails Larry in the lions den-100_0929.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0932.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0934.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0939.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0962.jpg  

Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:07 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Mess
Attached Thumbnails Larry in the lions den-100_0964.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0982.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0984.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0986.jpg   Larry in the lions den-100_0987.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.