Melbourne areas

Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Melbourne areas

Our preference is around Camberwell. It isn't the cheapest area, but we love it here. Also, for kids starting primary school, Camberwell Primary is a great option. They teach 50/50 in English/French right from the start, so for example all maths is taught in French. A great opportunity to learn another language early on.

DJMA
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Neil S]
Originally Posted by OzTennis
As usual people can't see beyond south east or east.

Only 'cos these are the only bits I know so far.

Williamstown is a great suburb but it can get really busy on market days and the main (only) route in and out of Melbourne can get a bit of a bottleneck at times I hear.
Williamstown is very nice but it's not without it's issues. It gets very busy at the weekend, particularly in the summer and most weekends, the idiot hoon drivers speed up and down the main roads but still very nice.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 5:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne areas

Originally Posted by DJMA
Our preference is around Camberwell. It isn't the cheapest area, but we love it here. Also, for kids starting primary school, Camberwell Primary is a great option. They teach 50/50 in English/French right from the start, so for example all maths is taught in French. A great opportunity to learn another language early on.

DJMA
Hi, that sounds very interesting indeed. I was concerned about our kids not learning 2 languages downunder, when we lived in NZ the only second language available was Maori which was a bit limiting, the attitude of the Kiwis was "why learn a 2nd language, everyone in NZ speaks English" which translates as "we're a tiny isolated cut-off island and intend to stay that way". Can you give me some more info on Camberwell? Is there a secondary school which continues that tradition?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:02 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by shazzer
Hi,
We were thinking of Williamstown... Arriving in Oz in May 2006. Any more photos / opinions of Williamstown would be gratefully accepted... I think lots of people seem to start off there but then move ... why

Thanks
Shazzer
I lived in Williamstown for a year and moved to be nearer work. It was a great starting place, though, as it's convenient for the CBD, has fantastic bayside walks and views of the CBD and is close to the main freeway heading to the Great Ocean Road (Geelong is about 45 minutes drive away). If my job wasn't based around Caulfield I would have found no need to move. Williamstown has a vibrant heart in Nelson Place with loads of cafes and restaurants and a local feel at the Douglas Parade/Ferguson Street shops.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:09 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by skywalker
Sorry it's Newport...I was writing but was thinking at something else...
Newport borders on Williamstown, but is expensive, mainly due to the industry there. It's ok, though and still convenient for Williamstown and the CBD. It depends which area of Newport you're talking about, as the residential areas near Williamstown are no different from Willy itself. At the Newport train station end it's a bit less desirable, but to me it still seemed ok. I think Yarraville is another underrated suburb, it's centre is great with good pubs and cafes and it is a lot cheaper than Williamstown. You're 10 minutes from the CBD by train and 10 minues from Williamstown beach/shops by car. And if you're into Asian food, then you have Footscray 5 minutes down the train line.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:17 am

[QUOTE=Neil S]

Williamstown is a great suburb but it can get really busy on market days and the main (only) route in and out of Melbourne can get a bit of a bottleneck at times I hear.
Driving around Williamstown is a lot less hassle than in the South East. Even on a busy day, there isn't the traffic that there is on say Toorak road. The West Gate Bridge Freeway gets busy in the morning at commuter times but that's usually where it meets the Eastlink toll road, so it's the same coming from either way. The same is true at evening rush hour. Still, I'd rather commute from the West of Melbourne on the West Gate Bridge Freeway, then on the Monaash which can be even worse.

As for being busy on market days, I'd say that it adds to the life of the place. Again, it's still nothing compared to St. Kilda, for instance, and at least in Williamtown there is the option of avoiding the tourists by hitting the cafes in the shopping areas of Douglas Parade/Ferguson Street.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:42 am
Just Joined

shazzer is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=fireeater]
Originally Posted by Neil S

Driving around Williamstown is a lot less hassle than in the South East. Even on a busy day, there isn't the traffic that there is on say Toorak road. The West Gate Bridge Freeway gets busy in the morning at commuter times but that's usually where it meets the Eastlink toll road, so it's the same coming from either way. The same is true at evening rush hour. Still, I'd rather commute from the West of Melbourne on the West Gate Bridge Freeway, then on the Monaash which can be even worse.

As for being busy on market days, I'd say that it adds to the life of the place. Again, it's still nothing compared to St. Kilda, for instance, and at least in Williamtown there is the option of avoiding the tourists by hitting the cafes in the shopping areas of Douglas Parade/Ferguson Street.

Cool, thanks for all the replies. Williamstown definately sounds like our kind of place. The market was one of the things that is attracting us, so I guess I can't complain if it is soooo good that loads of tourists go, ... I will take that as a good point. Will also look at Yarraville ... that wasn't a suburb I had heard of...

Thanks a lot
Shazzer
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:44 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

St Kilda. For the cake shops. Yummmmmmmmm!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:05 am
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fireeater
Newport borders on Williamstown, but is expensive, mainly due to the industry there. It's ok, though and still convenient for Williamstown and the CBD. It depends which area of Newport you're talking about, as the residential areas near Williamstown are no different from Willy itself. At the Newport train station end it's a bit less desirable, but to me it still seemed ok. I think Yarraville is another underrated suburb, it's centre is great with good pubs and cafes and it is a lot cheaper than Williamstown. You're 10 minutes from the CBD by train and 10 minues from Williamstown beach/shops by car. And if you're into Asian food, then you have Footscray 5 minutes down the train line.
Thanks fireeater, I saw nice houses and decent rental prices, it's an option anyway.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
We were thinking of Williamstown... Arriving in Oz in May 2006. Any more photos / opinions of Williamstown would be gratefully accepted... I think lots of people seem to start off there but then move ... why

Thanks
Shazzer
I've got any number of photos so here goes!

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne areas-geoffs-1-037.jpg   Melbourne areas-geoffs-1-040.jpg   Melbourne areas-pict0864.jpg   Melbourne areas-pict1452.jpg   Melbourne areas-pict1497.jpg  

Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

And one more lot.

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne areas-5-garden-st-5-beach.jpg   Melbourne areas-19-john-st-4-bay-view.jpg   Melbourne areas-20-strand-5.jpg   Melbourne areas-28-victoria-st-3-view.jpg   Melbourne areas-48-victoria-st-4-street-view.jpg  

Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:22 am
Just Joined

I've got any number of photos so here goes!

OzTennis

Hi Oz Tennis,
Di you have any of Nelson Place / Douglas Parade / The Market / "Typical" residential streets .... then I can realy start dreaming...

Many thanks
Shazzer
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Hi Oz Tennis,
Di you have any of Nelson Place / Douglas Parade / The Market / "Typical" residential streets .... then I can realy start dreaming...

Many thanks
Shazzer
Oops, crossed posts ... great views of residential streets ... thanks
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now, as to why 'lots' of people start off there and move, I'm not sure it is lots - I can only recall one husband and wife among the BE's regulars who have moved and they said they wanted more 'action' out the other side of the city from memory. Some might start out renting in this area and find when it comes time to buy that properties are too expensive for them.

OzTennis
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Neil S]

There are 2 markets in Williamstown - a farmers market and a craft market. Each is held on one Sunday a month so 2 days a month shouldn't be a problem. Yes, the Westgate Bridge can get busy during peak times but there are 4 train stations including Newport and many commute the 20 mins by train if a bit of traffic on the bridge is a problem. Getting into the city on the other side is no easy thing though and traffic in the inner and eastern suburbs is a nightmare compared to Williamstown.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.