Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Change Unlikely before 1 July 2006

Citizenship Change Unlikely before 1 July 2006

Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Change Unlikely before 1 July 2006

An update from:
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/citz_bill_2005/index.htm

Timing of the changes

The date of commencement will be finalised when the legislation is passed by the Parliament.

It is not possible to be definitive about a commencement date for the changes but it is highly unlikely it will be before 1 July 2006.

The changes will affect all applications for Australian citizenship made on and after the date the new legislation commences.

Jeremy
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:40 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship Change Unlikely before 1 July 2006

Originally Posted by JAJ
An update from:

Timing of the changes

The date of commencement will be finalised when the legislation is passed by the Parliament.

It is not possible to be definitive about a commencement date for the changes but it is highly unlikely it will be before 1 July 2006.

The changes will affect all applications for Australian citizenship made on and after the date the new legislation commences.

Jeremy
Ohhh thats good news....we took up residency on the 30th June 2004...be a bit of a rush mind u, to get application in on time......mind you it doesnt really matter as we are here for keeps so whats another year to wait
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
Ohhh thats good news....we took up residency on the 30th June 2004...be a bit of a rush mind u, to get application in on time......mind you it doesnt really matter as we are here for keeps so whats another year to wait

Have you taken any vacations outside Australia since arriving?

Jeremy
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you taken any vacations outside Australia since arriving?

Jeremy

nope...never left Yeppoon......what a sad individual I am lol

Don't have any plans to travel outwith Australia for a long time
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:54 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Yup

It's about time you did though
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by wmoore
Yup

It's about time you did though

mite just take a long holiday over chrissy lol I will leave the keys under the mat....feed the dug will ye
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:59 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

mite just take a long holiday over chrissy lol I will leave the keys under the mat....feed the dug will ye
Sure thing
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:00 am

;
Originally Posted by wmoore
Sure thing
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:14 am
JAJ
Retired

Don't have any plans to travel outwith Australia for a long time

In that case, if the commencement date is 1 July 2006, then you may need to be in a position to apply on 30 June 2006. Not a day before, and not a day later. Check to see if it's a weekday.

You'll then need to hope DIMIA don't think it's a day too soon. However you need to know that if a citizenship application is refused solely for the reason you don't meet the residence requirement, you don't need to pay the application fee when you apply again. Provided you re-apply within 3 months of becoming residentially eligible.

Jeremy
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
In that case, if the commencement date is 1 July 2006, then you may need to be in a position to apply on 30 June 2006. Not a day before, and not a day later. Check to see if it's a weekday.

You'll then need to hope DIMIA don't think it's a day too soon. However you need to know that if a citizenship application is refused solely for the reason you don't meet the residence requirement, you don't need to pay the application fee when you apply again. Provided you re-apply within 3 months of becoming residentially eligible.

Jeremy

thanks for the info 30th June 2006 is a Friday
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:06 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
An update from:

Timing of the changes

Jeremy

Is this dream?
am i dreaming?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

OK!
If you put your foot on the soil then your two years starts then or is it if you put your foot on the soil after July 06 you have to do three years first. The people already will surely only have to do their two years wont they?

give us a clue lol

lace x
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:28 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

cool

I did have a reply from John howard, nothing new really, he did sign the reply him self so at least I got something back.

Looks like I may be able to apply then since I entered OZ on the 14th June 2004, was thinking of heading back to the U.K. for a few weeks holiday but guess I have to wait until after the 1st July now.

JAJ, what happens if DIMIA dont process the application until after the 1st July 2006, even though I posted it for example 15th June 2006?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:47 am

just been looking at the citizenship and passport fees.......$996 all in for 4 ov us ...FFS might no bother lol
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
An update from:

Timing of the changes

Jeremy

Can some one help me with a naive question:

I move to Sydney Feb 4th. I have Residency-skilled independent visa. My simple understanding was if I am in Aus 2 years continuoulsy I can apply for citizenship.

How does this new bill affect me? I have to be in Aus 3 years continuously???

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.