Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Passport enquirey

Passport enquirey

Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:21 am
stevenpoole9

Default Passport enquirey

Can antone tell me how long needs to be on a UK passport to visit Australia. We have our permenant visas but due to a problem with the house sale we are goign to have to validate our visas in January. My 6 year old son has a passport that expires in May 2006. Will I need to replace it before the trip in January or can it wait until after? I know that some countries insist on you having 6 months top run on a passport before allowing you into the country, is Australia one of these? Cheers.

Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:25 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport enquirey

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
Can antone tell me how long needs to be on a UK passport to visit Australia. We have our permenant visas but due to a problem with the house sale we are goign to have to validate our visas in January. My 6 year old son has a passport that expires in May 2006. Will I need to replace it before the trip in January or can it wait until after? I know that some countries insist on you having 6 months top run on a passport before allowing you into the country, is Australia one of these? Cheers.

hiya

not certain but someone told me at least 12 months

good luck with your house sale and everything

jan xx
Old Nov 25th 2005, 11:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robos
hiya

not certain but someone told me at least 12 months

Which is incorrect. You must be thinking of time to validate visas or something.

To the original poster. There is no minimum time required to be left on the passport, HOWEVER some countries you will want to pass through in the Far East do have a 6 month rule and won't accept passports with anything less.

This may not affect transit passengers, but will mean you can't stop over.

If you replace the passport now, then make sure you check-in early as with visa in an old passport, there is always a chance the airline will get confused and refuse boarding until they get clearance from DIMIA in Australia. Which takes time.

The AHC London - so they say - will not "re-stamp" visas.

You really should have got your son a new passport before having the visas stamped, would have been simpler.

Jeremy
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:22 pm
stevenpoole9

We know that now but when the visas were issued in April 2005 the house sold on May 12th so we weren't even thinking of being here past August/September time. It's only because of the house sale falling through 3 times that we find ourselves in the position of having to validate at all. Hindsight would be a wonderful thing wouldn't it? We will not be stopping over (other than to refuel in Singapore) so that shouldn't be a problem, as I said I'd heard about the 6 month rule somewhere but couldn't remember where and what circumstances it refered to. I'll be checking with DIMIA on Monday to confirm the travel details to be honest if it's okay we may just wait 'till we come back before getting him a new passport. Cheers, Steve.

Last edited by stevenpoole9; Nov 25th 2005 at 5:27 pm.

Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9

We have just had to renew our passports, our agent told us we had to have two years validity on them. We also needed to let Dimmia know the change to the passport expiry date.

Hope this helps

Wendy