Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

To have the baby in the UK or Canada?

To have the baby in the UK or Canada?

Old Oct 23rd 2005, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

RupesMandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To have the baby in the UK or Canada?

My wife and I are on the verge (we expect) of getting out PPR. With a baby on the way this leaves us very little time to sort ourselves out if we are to have the baby in Canada in May.

We know about the 3 month delay to healthcare for BC and we are looking into getting private medical insurance to cover us. My question is whether having the baby in the UK would then delay us going to Canada because we'd then have to sponsor the newborn which might take a few more weeks to sort out. Has anyone else been through this who could offer us a point of view?

Do we have to let the High Commission know we are expecting a baby anyway?

Cheers
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:43 pm
Ambiroadious

WorldWeary will become famous soon enough
Default Re: To have the baby in the UK or Canada?

I am not an expert but I think you need to consult one.

One I don't think you will get private health insurance that will pay for the delivery of your baby. That would be a pre-existing condition if you see what I mean.

Two, I don't think you can have the baby in the UK and then 'sort things out' in a few weeks re sponsoring the baby. I think your application may have to start all over. I hope I'm wrong on that one.

Your only hope would be if you got your PR and were able to land in Canada more than 3 months before the baby is due so that you would come under Provincial health cover. Otherwise you may be stuck with paying for the birth of your baby yourself. Big $$$

I would definitely suggest you consult a licensed BC Immigration Consultant.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 11:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WorldWeary

One I don't think you will get private health insurance that will pay for the delivery of your baby. That would be a pre-existing condition if you see what I mean.

Two, I don't think you can have the baby in the UK and then 'sort things out' in a few weeks re sponsoring the baby. I think your application may have to start all over. I hope I'm wrong on that one.

Your only hope would be if you got your PR and were able to land in Canada more than 3 months before the baby is due so that you would come under Provincial health cover. Otherwise you may be stuck with paying for the birth of your baby yourself. Big $$$
Maybe look to see what the options would be if they moved to Alberta instead. Alberta apparently doesn't have a waiting period for new migrants for healthcare, although whether this covers pregnancy is another question.

Immigration consultants are regulated federally so there's no province specific licencing for those in BC.

If the original posters are applying through CIC London then the FAQs may be useful:
http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/general/faqimm_e.htm

- once visas are issued, it is essential to 'land' before the baby is born.
- If the child is born in the UK it will need to be sponsored for migration. At least one parent must be resident in Canada to do this.

They should also bear in mind that pregnant women can't normally fly in the last few months, so if the baby is due in May then they need to be prepared to leave by February at the latest (even if one parent then returns to the UK to tie up some loose ends).

If this is not going to be possible, then either the main applicant lands and sponsors wife and child later, or you ask CIC to put the whole thing on hold until baby arrives and does medicals. Bear in mind that medicals and police checks for the rest of the family may expire and have to be redone.

Professional advice from an *experienced* lawyer or consultant is essential in a situation like this, to understand the consequences of the different permutations of landing vs the birth of the baby.

Pregnancy and immigration don't mix well.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 24th 2005 at 12:06 am.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 12:09 am
Ambiroadious

WorldWeary will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Immigration consultants are regulated federally so there's no province specific licencing for those in BC. Professional advice from an *experienced* lawyer or consultant is essential in a situation like this.

Jeremy
Since the intention is to emmigrate to BC, it would make sense to consult a (federally) licensed consultant who works in BC specifically and who will know specifically how BC health coverage would apply in the case. So consult a BC (resident) licensed consultant. Who issued his/her license is irrelevant, what province he/she is most familiar with is not.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 12:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Since the intention is to emmigrate to BC, it would make sense to consult a (federally) licensed consultant who works in BC specifically and who will know specifically how BC health coverage would apply in the case. So consult a BC (resident) licensed consultant. Who issued his/her license is irrelevant, what province he/she is most familiar with is not.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that immigration consultants are qualified to give advice on healthcare eligibility.

Jeremy
Old Oct 24th 2005, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

A forum member recently landed at 8mths pregnant in Manitoba - no problem having a baby here with regard to immediate health coverage (if you are coming from abroad, does not apply to interprovincial move) - see thread here for more details.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 12:34 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

If baby is born before visas are issued then you must immediately notify visa post and add baby to your application.

If baby is born after visas are issued but before landing in Canada then visas will become automatically invalid and you will have to re-apply. If you land using those visas then (1) it will be fraudulent landing and (2) you will never be able to sponsor baby.

If baby is born in Canada after visas are issued and after you land then baby is Canadian citizen by birth.

Hope that the above will help you making right decision.

Originally Posted by RupesMandy
My wife and I are on the verge (we expect) of getting out PPR. With a baby on the way this leaves us very little time to sort ourselves out if we are to have the baby in Canada in May.

We know about the 3 month delay to healthcare for BC and we are looking into getting private medical insurance to cover us. My question is whether having the baby in the UK would then delay us going to Canada because we'd then have to sponsor the newborn which might take a few more weeks to sort out. Has anyone else been through this who could offer us a point of view?

Do we have to let the High Commission know we are expecting a baby anyway?

Cheers
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:02 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
If baby is born after visas are issued but before landing in Canada then visas will become automatically invalid and you will have to re-apply.
Except it seems that CIC London has (at least for the time being) some flexibility on that policy:

-------------

Since I received my permanent residence visa, my spouse has had a baby. Can I go to Canada and sponsor my child later?

No, unless your child is a Canadian citizen, your visa is invalid because you have a new family member who has not been examined and you will not be permitted to enter Canada. If your child was born in Canada or if one of its parents is a Canadian citizen, the child is therefore a Canadian citizen. If that is not the case, you must add the child to your application by sending us a copy of the birth certificate along with 7 identity photos. Your child will have to undergo a medical examination. If the child is accompanying you to Canada, you will also have to pay the required fees and submit a copy of the passport used for the child. If your destination is in the province of Quebec, you must also obtain a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) for your child.

You MUST also return your visas and Confirmation of Permanent Residence forms to our office for cancellation. Once your child has been examined, unless he or she is inadmissible, we will issue the visa(s).

Any current family member not examined now can NEVER be sponsored by you in the future. Misrepresenting or withholding information would render you inadmissible to Canada.

-------------

Of course if this is a concession it could be withdrawn anytime and a stricter policy substituted.

Jeremy
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:24 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

As you well know Jeremy, CHC London is not really obeying the law in few other matters as well. And anyone hoping that London will be "flexible" forever may get a shocking surprize one day. I prefer to advise as per the existing rules, not as per some not so "legit" exceptions.

If you read past posts from applicants who were in similar situation with Buffalo or other consulates in US you'll find that they are not "flexible" at all and are sending a rather brutal letter "sorry, but your case is closed".
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your input (and that of everyone else who has contributed).

I know what you mean on all counts and in a way it is making the choices that we have much easier. We need to get there in Feb or I get my way and we get to spend a year in Calgary. See it's not all bad news!

I will contact a lawyer and fingers crossed that he doesn't come up with anything more complex. :scared:

Yours most gratefully,

Rupert

Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Jeremy

Any idea how long it takes to add Junior to the application and get through the "gate" again. The baby is due in May and our medicals would expire in August. Is 3 months too tight? Probably I'd reckon.

Rupert

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except it seems that CIC London has (at least for the time being) some flexibility on that policy:

-------------

Since I received my permanent residence visa, my spouse has had a baby. Can I go to Canada and sponsor my child later?

No, unless your child is a Canadian citizen, your visa is invalid because you have a new family member who has not been examined and you will not be permitted to enter Canada. If your child was born in Canada or if one of its parents is a Canadian citizen, the child is therefore a Canadian citizen. If that is not the case, you must add the child to your application by sending us a copy of the birth certificate along with 7 identity photos. Your child will have to undergo a medical examination. If the child is accompanying you to Canada, you will also have to pay the required fees and submit a copy of the passport used for the child. If your destination is in the province of Quebec, you must also obtain a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) for your child.

You MUST also return your visas and Confirmation of Permanent Residence forms to our office for cancellation. Once your child has been examined, unless he or she is inadmissible, we will issue the visa(s).

Any current family member not examined now can NEVER be sponsored by you in the future. Misrepresenting or withholding information would render you inadmissible to Canada.

-------------

Of course if this is a concession it could be withdrawn anytime and a stricter policy substituted.

Jeremy
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Andrew. That is all quite clear. Kinda limits our options but at least we know that now.

Regards

Rupert

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
If baby is born before visas are issued then you must immediately notify visa post and add baby to your application.

If baby is born after visas are issued but before landing in Canada then visas will become automatically invalid and you will have to re-apply. If you land using those visas then (1) it will be fraudulent landing and (2) you will never be able to sponsor baby.

If baby is born in Canada after visas are issued and after you land then baby is Canadian citizen by birth.

Hope that the above will help you making right decision.