Help..

Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help..

Well after all the usual "oh you must come round for dinner" type comments we get form neighbours etc we've actually had a late invite from the parents of one of my daughters friends..Its at 5pm this evening
It's not a formal dinner party or anything like that she's actually making Mexican food as apparantly, according to her daughter she does the best Mexican in LA..
Anyway I've no idea what to take, do we take beer, wine, don't even know if they drink, is it rude to ring them and ask?
Do we take a gift, flowers maybe?
Should we offer to take anything food wise?
Is it rude to turn up empty handed?
Does anyone know what the etiquette is?
Ta..
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:13 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Help..

Originally Posted by woodsey
Well after all the usual "oh you must come round for dinner" type comments we get form neighbours etc we've actually had a late invite from the parents of one of my daughters friends..Its at 5pm this evening
It's not a formal dinner party or anything like that she's actually making Mexican food as apparantly, according to her daughter she does the best Mexican in LA..
Anyway I've no idea what to take, do we take beer, wine, don't even know if they drink, is it rude to ring them and ask?
Ta..
Do what you would do in the UK.

If you want to take alcohol you might like to go for something from Mexico eg. Corona beer, Tequila or/and margarita mix.

You can never go wrong with flowers....perhaps chocs but as we all know they're not as nice over here as in the UK!

(As it is short notice I wouldn't bother taking food with you...if you had had more notice you could have offered to take dessert (English trifle?) or a cake).
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:16 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help..

Ta..
a good bottle of wine always goes down well, even if they dont drink at least it shows u r making an effort

Ant
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Ta..

As you do not know them, I wouldn't take alcohol. Americans can be funny with booze...

I'd take a really nice bouquet of flowers, preferably in a vase so the hostess doesn't need to hunt around for one.

Have a nice time!
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:39 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
As you do not know them, I wouldn't take alcohol. Americans can be funny with booze...
You're in LA, not the Bible Belt, so unless they are fire-breathing Southern Baptists or members of Alcoholics Anonymous, bringing a bottle of wine in unlikely to create any controversy and will most likely be appreciated. You can find decent stuff at Trader Joe's, just avoid that God-awful swill from Charles Shaw.

One thing, though -- don't be surprised if the bottle you bring is not consumed this evening. Not opening the bottle that you've brought is not necessarily indicative of anything, it's simply not necessarily expected here that a bottle of wine brought by a guest be opened straight away.

I probably wouldn't bring beer, as that is a bit more casual and you don't really know these people. Among good friends, bringing beer that goes with the food of the evening would be fine.

Asking if they'd like you to bring something is also common courtesy, you could convey the question through your daughter. Some people will take you up on the offer, while others will graciously decline (but the wine would probably still be appreciated.)
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Ta..

I vote flowers. Those are something I very rarely buy for myself. If you drink your more apt to buy yourself your own wine or beer.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Do what you would do in the UK.

so get drunk before I arrive and put my pants on head whilst singing Don MCleans American Pie ?
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you knew them better, beer would be good, or food like rolls, but hardly goes with mexican

Can't go wrong with a bottle of wine or a cake though...
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
so get drunk before I arrive and put my pants on head whilst singing Don MCleans American Pie ?
As long as you leave by 7pm
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
As long as you leave by 7pm
usually in bed by then - shoes and all
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:29 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

usually in bed by then - shoes and all
I think you'll find your shoes are usually on the roof..........
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bored-silly
I think you'll find your shoes are usually on the roof..........
**** I forgot about that
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should stay at home..
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

I think you should stay at home..
I might not leave work at this rate ..
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I might not leave work at this rate ..
err..I think you most certainly will be leaving work..... I ain't going on my own..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.