Beds

Old Aug 16th 2005, 4:30 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Beds

I'm cyber shopping but I can't work out what the equivalent to a double bed is - is it a queen size?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:07 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beds

Originally Posted by bookemjano
I'm cyber shopping but I can't work out what the equivalent to a double bed is - is it a queen size?
Hi Jan,

A queen is usually a small double - ie 4' 6"
A king is a standard 5' double bed
A super king is a huge 6' double (you know family sized!!).

It is quite common for US hotel bedrooms to be kitted out with 2 queen sized beds, possibly also a fair bit in NZ too.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:19 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi Jan,

It is quite common for US hotel bedrooms to be kitted out with 2 queen sized beds, possibly also a fair bit in NZ too.

Hope that helps.
Oh good, thank you, can continue cyber shopping now, with no snooty assistants to mither me!
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:27 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh good, thank you, can continue cyber shopping now, with no snooty assistants to mither me!
Yes go right ahead madam....
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:03 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Hope your having a cyber bounce too Jan......or 'er missus didn't mean it to come out like that.....
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
Hope your having a cyber bounce too Jan......or 'er missus didn't mean it to come out like that.....
Phnar Phnar

So cyber-speaking I have bought my bed, bought the kids beds, chosen my sofas (just need to choose the material), and my dining set.

Just need to rob a cyber bank now.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

grimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the rough

We're bringing our super king bed with us. What's it like for getting the bedding for that size and are rental houses big enough to carry them?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 2:16 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi Jan,

Hope that helps.
What country are you referring too??

In NZ bed sizings are as follows:-
single bed = for one person
double bed = smallest sized bed for two persons
Queen bed = larger sized bed for two persons
King bed = huge bed for two persons
Super King bed= enough room for all the family.

In the US bed sizes are as follows:=-
twin bed = bed for one
full sized bed = smallest bed for two people
Queen bed= good size for two people
King size= big bed for two people
California King - huge bed for two people plus the family

Average sized beds in decent hotels in the US will always be Queen sized while cheaper hotels/motels etc usually only have 2 double sized beds.
Quite common for hotels in NZ to provide 2 Queen sized beds these days
Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

jjennings will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by grimm
............What's it like for getting the bedding for that size?...........
Oh, you mean 'Manchester'? We couldn't work that one out and had to look in a Kiwi dictionary to find it refers to the Manchester Cotton Mills - hence all bedding is called Manchester. Thought they were all football fans .

Bedding for a UK double (4'6") is very difficult to find. Large sizes no problem at all. We bought a solid wood (heavy) Queen-size when we got here and it fits in our rented house with ease. The bedrooms in all the rental houses we looked at were bigger than the UK norm (at least the Bristol norm). We once had a Barrett's house where the master bedroom was 12' x 7' !!!

Cheers,
John
Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:38 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjennings
Oh, you mean 'Manchester'? We couldn't work that one out and had to look in a Kiwi dictionary to find it refers to the Manchester Cotton Mills - hence all bedding is called Manchester. Thought they were all football fans .

Bedding for a UK double (4'6") is very difficult to find. Large sizes no problem at all. We bought a solid wood (heavy) Queen-size when we got here and it fits in our rented house with ease. The bedrooms in all the rental houses we looked at were bigger than the UK norm (at least the Bristol norm). We once had a Barrett's house where the master bedroom was 12' x 7' !!!

Cheers,
John
Bed linens is also a more common way of referring to sheets etc. Wonder where exactly you shop because double sheets & bedding (4'6") is a very common size in NZ Just try looking at places like The Warehouse of The Farmers & you will find them no trouble!

Last edited by shepslady; Aug 18th 2005 at 11:01 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shepslady
Bed linens is also a more common way of referring to sheets etc. Wonder where exactly you shop because double sheets & bedding (4'6") is a very common size in NZ
Farmers, Warehouse, Spotlight, etc. (ie. cheaper ). I wouldn't agree that double (4'6") beds are common as we only saw one for sale when we were bed shopping, although for all I know it is the same in the UK now as it was a number of years ago that we bought our last bed. Not really that bothered because it gave me the excuse to buy a bigger bed (I'm 6'6")

Cheers,
John
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:08 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Farmers, Warehouse, Spotlight, etc. (ie. cheaper ). I wouldn't agree that double (4'6") beds are common as we only saw one for sale when we were bed shopping, although for all I know it is the same in the UK now as it was a number of years ago that we bought our last bed. Not really that bothered because it gave me the excuse to buy a bigger bed (I'm 6'6")

Cheers,
John
LOL I just edited my last post to add the stores you mentioned. While it is common for people to buy Queen beds now a lot of people still have double beds. I think young people now days are more into buying bigger beds & I cant say I blame them, we have a californina king bed ourselves & its a huge bed & I couldnt imagine going back to a smaller one now
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shepslady
LOL I just edited my last post to add the stores you mentioned. While it is common for people to buy Queen beds now a lot of people still have double beds. I think young people now days are more into buying bigger beds & I cant say I blame them, we have a californina king bed ourselves & its a huge bed & I couldnt imagine going back to a smaller one now
Worst thing we did was buy an electric blanket. Now the missus never needs to snuggle up!!!!!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:18 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Worst thing we did was buy an electric blanket. Now the missus never needs to snuggle up!!!!!

Well best thing you can do is when winters over this year be nice & offer to take it off the bed & store it for her.........then simply forget where you put it so when it gets cold next winter she will have to snuggle up to keep warm
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Standard bed sizes for the USA and UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.