Rent Up Front?

Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:02 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rent Up Front?

We just had our application accepted on a rental today. But because we're not working yet (and we showed the estate agent our bank statement in lieu of wage slips) the owner asked for 6 months rent plus bond up front!! Has anyone else had this? I can understand the owner's point of view but my guess is the estate agent said "hey, this couple are loaded" and the owner's seen the dollar signs

In the end to seal the deal we agreed to pay 3 months + bond because there were 4 other applicants and we really wanted the house. Buggers up our finances a bit though
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent Up Front?

Originally Posted by wmoore
We just had our application accepted on a rental today. But because we're not working yet (and we showed the estate agent our bank statement in lieu of wage slips) the owner asked for 6 months rent plus bond up front!! Has anyone else had this? I can understand the owner's point of view but my guess is the estate agent said "hey, this couple are loaded" and the owner's seen the dollar signs

In the end to seal the deal we agreed to pay 3 months + bond because there were 4 other applicants and we really wanted the house. Buggers up our finances a bit though
Hello Wayne,

exactly the same thing happened to us. We had no previous renting experience, so no references from landlords. We *DID* bring with us 5 years worth of mortgage staements and we had got a letter (before we settled the mortgage, from the mortgage company) stating that we had paid our mortgage on time, every month, for the term of the mortgage, without fail. We also brought 5 years worth of utility bills with us, all paid on time. To no effect though.

We also had our bank statements to provwe we had the $$$.

The landlord, apparently, wasn't 'impressed' by the fact that ste had no job, even though we had $$$ in the bank and so we had to pay 3 months rent in advance, plus bond.

Mmm.... a tad cheeky,, me thinks.

Anyhow, we've gone on to pay 3 months in advance every time since then, as I can't be bothered with going into the city every week or month even and it's easier to pay 3 months and then forget about it for a while.

Enjoy your new home.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:21 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
exactly the same thing happened to us.

Mmm.... a tad cheeky,, me thinks.
Thanks for this. Cheeky indeed! We were looking on the net after we had agreed to this and the government advice is that the owner should not ask for more than one month up front. I'm not going to rock the boat now though!
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to rock the boat now though!
Exactly. Get in, get settled and get on with your life. Forget the $$$ grabbing sods!!!!
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

So what do you think that they require, as i would like the money in my account working for me. We have wondered what to take to prove to the landlords that we have never de-faulted on any thing like the mortgage or utility bills, etc. I know that we are not in a strong position to argue and will have to go with the flow.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:40 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by karenjc
So what do you think that they require, as i would like the money in my account working for me. We have wondered what to take to prove to the landlords that we have never de-faulted on any thing like the mortgage or utility bills, etc. I know that we are not in a strong position to argue and will have to go with the flow.
Maybe a different agent would act differently? I hoped that flashing the bank statement would satisfy them but not this crew. Then I think the owner got greedy. All I can say is try your luck.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

actually wayne it was the opposite for us,we offerd them 6 months in advance cos we were worried we might not get the house as we d seen some right dumps and this was by far the best we d seen,didnt want anyone else to get in there frst,maybe someone who was working or something,and we figurd well we ve gt to pay it anyway but they didnt want to know, they only wanted 2 weeks up front...and the bond of course,very odd i thought,but all the bettr for us

tracey
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:55 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

I think the 3 months is a fair compromise.

but some landlords are bastards alright.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:44 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by scissors
actually wayne it was the opposite for us,we offerd them 6 months in advance cos we were worried we might not get the house as we d seen some right dumps and this was by far the best we d seen,didnt want anyone else to get in there frst,maybe someone who was working or something,and we figurd well we ve gt to pay it anyway but they didnt want to know, they only wanted 2 weeks up front...and the bond of course,very odd i thought,but all the bettr for us

tracey
I didn't think ours would be the norm. Just bothers me shelling out so much up front.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:47 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Tell me Wayne, is it Bowden & Partners in Morningside?

Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:51 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Tell me Wayne, is it Bowden & Partners in Morningside?
Erm ..... yeeeesssss I'm scared now, please put me out of my misery
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:52 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

they are just bandits
if they see the bank statments they should only take a month. they know your just aff the boat, thats why they did it. we only had to pay a week = bond. but i have heard of the 6 month from others.
good luck in the new hoose
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:55 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Erm ..... yeeeesssss I'm scared now, please put me out of my misery
Biggest set of theaving shit heads who ever walked this earth

I would NEVER recomend anyone in their right mind to go with THAT outfit.

Good luck m8

You'll need it

Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:55 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by soapy
they are just bandits
if they see the bank statments they should only take a month. they know your just aff the boat, thats why they did it. we only had to pay a week = bond. but i have heard of the 6 month from others.
good luck in the new hoose
Cheers mate. I'm sure we'll enjoy it
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:56 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate. I'm sure we'll enjoy it
just get the fridge stacked with beer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.