Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Joys of Selling Your Home

The Joys of Selling Your Home

Old Jul 24th 2005, 4:38 pm
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute
Angry The Joys of Selling Your Home

Is it me or am i going mad. :scared:
Had people to view my home today........................
Time booked for viewing 14.30 pm.........they arrived 15.20 oh soz said the guy couldnt find your house.........fair enough i thought did you get a brochure from the estate agent i ask?.oh yes he replied ah ok say i there are directions on the brochure............ oh are there he replies.Grrrrrrrr
He produces the brochure and the show round begins......Hmmm she says your back garden is very large isnt it ..........yes as stated in brochure.
I dont like that tree as she point to a fantstic 40 yr old willow .that will have to go eh babes she says to her husband.
We continue our walk round the garden........... whats in the ponds she asks......... would you believe ''Fish'' i reply as stated in the bochure and we move past a the lilly pond comple with cute frogs sunbathing Eeeeekkkk she yells I hate Frogs they will have be gotton rid of as she smiles at me...sharp intake of breath i continue the tour............. we move inside ...are these floors made of wood he asks .........yes the are ,arnt they great i ask ....ermm
dont like wood floors came the reply............................
That was it for me didnt want a garden or ponds or wood floor etc etc
Now call me daft if you will but..............i just couldnt go on and said well i guess this house isnt for you............but do me a favour please read the details of any further house you might view and dont waste their time as you have mine.
The reply................. well hun we havent even got our house on the market yet nd not all that sure if we really want to move but it nice having a look at folks houses,Arrrrggggggggg ................ another complete waste of time come on mr estate agent ask some questions before sending people to view our home with all their negative comments ............. :scared:
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:05 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Joys of Selling Your Home

Sounds ghastly.

I'm sorry you have to go through this.

But thanks for giving me one more thing to like about Canada. The fact that real estate salespeople, rather than home owners, show houses to prospective buyers is one area of life that strikes me as being more civilised on this side of the pond.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

pak2 will become famous soon enoughpak2 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: The Joys of Selling Your Home

Hang in there. My wife and I have just managed to sell out house. very similar experience. People just out to look at houses. We went made at our estate agent only to be told that any viewing was better than none at all. We simply replied - get your finger out or we will be finding a new estate agent. This usually shuts them up. How are the markets now in the U.K.? We had two sales fall through and ended up taking a large cut in the price. At least it is all finished now although we are still waiting for the exchange rate to improve before we move our funds over!! Keep the fiath it will be worth it in the end.

All the best,

Phil
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by rossandvi
Time booked for viewing 14.30 pm.........they arrived 15.20 oh soz said the guy couldnt find your house.........fair enough i thought did you get a brochure from the estate agent i ask?.oh yes he replied ah ok say i there are directions on the brochure............ oh are there he replies.Grrrrrrrr
He produces the brochure and the show round begins......Hmmm she says your back garden is very large isnt it ..........yes as stated in brochure.
I dont like that tree as she point to a fantstic 40 yr old willow .that will have to go eh babes she says to her husband.
We continue our walk round the garden........... whats in the ponds she asks......... would you believe ''Fish'' i reply as stated in the bochure and we move past a the lilly pond comple with cute frogs sunbathing Eeeeekkkk she yells I hate Frogs they will have be gotton rid of as she smiles at me...sharp intake of breath i continue the tour............. we move inside ...are these floors made of wood he asks .........yes the are ,arnt they great i ask ....ermm
Now call me daft if you will but..............i just couldnt go on and said well i guess this house isnt for you............but do me a favour please read the details of any further house you might view and dont waste their time as you have mine.
The reply................. well hun we havent even got our house on the market yet nd not all that sure if we really want to move but it nice having a look at folks houses,Arrrrggggggggg ................ another complete waste of time come on mr estate agent ask some questions before sending people to view our home with all their negative comments ............. :scared:

Hi

We had the same with viewers not even on market, asked the agents to vet them first. Finally sold I am pleased to say so hopefully no more viewers.
Good luck

Chris
Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I think I said in the other post, right after "Did you find us without difficulty?" I would always ask "And what's your position, have you sold your house?" - that would tell me within 2mins whether or not they were serious, whether or not I should save my effort with the spiel and usher them out the door in the shortest time possible.

But as for comments about "Ohhh, that'll have to go" - you can't take those personally. It's not your home anymore, it's just a pile of bricks you're selling to move to Canada. You need to be quite unattached about it. Don't take offense. Actually, if people are making comments like that it's a good sign - means they're visualising themselves living in your home. Although in this case obviously it was irrelevant

Best of luck!

Biiiiink
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:42 pm
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: The Joys of Selling Your Home

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Sounds ghastly.

I'm sorry you have to go through this.

But thanks for giving me one more thing to like about Canada. The fact that real estate salespeople, rather than home owners, show houses to prospective buyers is one area of life that strikes me as being more civilised on this side of the pond.
Hi Judy
Yes i agree it would cause less stress if the agents did the viewings ..... for me at least.
I find the whole thing abit of a nightmare and i'm sure the estate agents dont earn their fees as they do in Canada...we pay to advertise in the local paper...we pay to have adverts on the web and we pay for the large colour
brochure given to the viewers.
The agents know our situation,that we need only serious buyers i.e. people who are selling or have sold their home and can afford our property but it seems to me not much vetting goes on their end so..........doing very little for their 3 %.But i guess our hands are tied, Vi.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:48 pm
Vi

Smile Re: The Joys of Selling Your Home

Originally Posted by pak2
Hang in there. My wife and I have just managed to sell out house. very similar experience. People just out to look at houses. We went made at our estate agent only to be told that any viewing was better than none at all. We simply replied - get your finger out or we will be finding a new estate agent. This usually shuts them up. How are the markets now in the U.K.? We had two sales fall through and ended up taking a large cut in the price. At least it is all finished now although we are still waiting for the exchange rate to improve before we move our funds over!! Keep the fiath it will be worth it in the end.

All the best,

Phil
Thanks Phil
The market in Scotland is slow and we did have some offers but they were far too low.we even reduced our price by 15000 which means our house is less than some of the smaller houses in our villiage .We are not greedy far from it we are offering a family home in a quiet safe area at a reasonable price.
We have to keep trying i guess thank you for your best wishes ''fingers crossed for us please'' Best wishes Vi.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:50 pm
Vi

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Hi

We had the same with viewers not even on market, asked the agents to vet them first. Finally sold I am pleased to say so hopefully no more viewers.
Good luck

Chris
Well done.and wishing you all the best for your new life. Vi.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:00 pm
Vi

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I think I said in the other post, right after "Did you find us without difficulty?" I would always ask "And what's your position, have you sold your house?" - that would tell me within 2mins whether or not they were serious, whether or not I should save my effort with the spiel and usher them out the door in the shortest time possible.

But as for comments about "Ohhh, that'll have to go" - you can't take those personally. It's not your home anymore, it's just a pile of bricks you're selling to move to Canada. You need to be quite unattached about it. Don't take offense. Actually, if people are making comments like that it's a good sign - means they're visualising themselves living in your home. Although in this case obviously it was irrelevant

Best of luck!

Biiiiink
Hi Biiiink
Thanks for your comments and yes you are right i must get in first and ask where they are with their house..........
As for the house yes i have loved it over the years but am happy to sell it to be able to move on.But as we live in a conservation villiage the tree stays as do the frogs as they are protected in Scotland......as they were informed of this with the house details i think perhaps there may well be shortage of neurones with this couple.
I live in hope of selling sometime soon but i shall ask their situation before i waste my breath in future. Vi.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

It's the ones that don't even turn up that got to me! very rude
Oh yes and the one that loved it so much he said within two rooms he wanted it - and would go straight away and put an offer in 5 grand below asking price. As he happened to be the first person to view the house, we explained that we would not accept that, so it would be a waste of his and our time! no! thats what he was going to do, and if his first offer was turned down, he would then put a higher bid in (strange man).
After all that it turned out he had no money anyway .
Why do people do these stupid thing, I'll never understand???
Good luck, fingers crossed for a smooth and quick sale!!!
Linda
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:26 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Is it me or am i going mad.
The reply................. well hun we havent even got our house on the market yet nd not all that sure if we really want to move but it nice having a look at folks houses,Arrrrggggggggg ................ another complete waste of time come on mr estate agent ask some questions before sending people to view our home with all their negative comments .............

Don't worry, you're not the only ones going stark staring mad

We live in Bristol, quite near to the M32 & the garden backs onto the River Frome. Our house has been on the market since April, the first estate agent we used brought people to view regularly but hardly any were proceedable ~ we stayed with them for 10 weeks in the hope they would find "the one" then changed to a different agent, we also dropped the price by more than £10,000 and asked them not to bring anyone around if they weren't in a position to buy . . . . . . . .the second agent made a big fuss of the garden and the river as a selling point & lo and behold what do we get? . . . . . ." I like your house but I'm a bit worried about how close it is to the river" aaaaaaargh!! . . . . . . . . ." I like your house but its a bit close to the motorway" aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!
Why the bl**dy hell did you come and look then?

Phew, I feel better now, rant over.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:28 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

I know what you mean. My wife and I are going through the same thing. I satrt work in Canada on 8th of Aug and fly out to start settling 4 Aug - I am going to have to leave my wife behind to deal with these sort of people. I am convinced that some just come for a trip out and never bother reading the leaflets.

Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:30 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone selling a large 5 bed house in Norfolk - let me know..... Looks like we may be on the move from my nine year nightmare
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:07 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Judy
Yes i agree it would cause less stress if the agents did the viewings ..... for me at least.
I find the whole thing abit of a nightmare and i'm sure the estate agents dont earn their fees as they do in Canada...we pay to advertise in the local paper...we pay to have adverts on the web and we pay for the large colour
brochure given to the viewers.
The agents know our situation,that we need only serious buyers i.e. people who are selling or have sold their home and can afford our property but it seems to me not much vetting goes on their end so..........doing very little for their 3 %.But i guess our hands are tied, Vi.
Hi....3% ?????

Ours are 1 1/4 % and they insist they'd rather do the viewings themselves without us being present!!

They are not unusual, we checked out 3 different agents and they all said they were happy or they even preferred their staff to show the house while we went out.

We have been on the market now since April, have dropped £20k and are prepared to drop another £10k if only somebody will make an offer and is ready to proceed! Two lots had second viewings last week, and one has made an offer, but they are only just now startng to market their own property!

We have our visas now .... we just want to GO! I was so excited yesterday to get them, but now it feels like we are on the starting block, the pistol has fired and some bastage has nailed our feet to the floor!!

Morw
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:40 pm
Vi

Originally Posted by Airseir
I know what you mean. My wife and I are going through the same thing. I satrt work in Canada on 8th of Aug and fly out to start settling 4 Aug - I am going to have to leave my wife behind to deal with these sort of people. I am convinced that some just come for a trip out and never bother reading the leaflets.
Hi
Will keep my fingers crossed that it wont be too long until you sell and you both can look forward to starting your new life together ............
There seem to be hundreds of us going through this,,,,Never Again

Best wishes Vi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.