Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

cheap flights to UK???

cheap flights to UK???

Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default cheap flights to UK???

Anyone know of any deals to the UK. Just found out today my sister has terminal cancer and need to get home quick.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cheap flights to UK???

Originally Posted by effi
Anyone know of any deals to the UK. Just found out today my sister has terminal cancer and need to get home quick.
sorry effi.

positive thoughts and all that.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about the news. Have you asked about the "Compassionate Fares"?
Old Jul 4th 2005, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Sorry about the news. Have you asked about the "Compassionate Fares"?
No, I have not tried that yet, that is my next move. I have searched everywhere. I need to get to Edinburgh from Phoenix. This all happened so quick. She was ok 2 weeks ago when I last spoke to her, she said she was having trouble with her thyroid but had just got medication for it. Then my other sister called last Wed and said that she was having trouble breathing and they had taken her into hospital. They said she had nodules on her thyroid and would remove them on Fri of last week as they were pressing against her airway. Got another call to say she had been moved to another hospital and they were going to operate today. Well, they did and found massive cancer and just closed her up again. Apparently there is nothing they can do. Spoke to the hospital and they said she is on a breathing tube and they are going to take it out tomorrow to see if she can breathe on her own, if not then it has to go back in. They said there is nothing they can do now except make her comfortable. She is only 50 and just had her first grandbaby 3 months ago. The other unfortunate thing is that she is the caretaker for my father who has prostate and bowel cancer, and is on his last legs. Looks like I may be going home for 2 funerals. If anyone hears of any cheap flights, please let me know, the cheapest I can come up with is $1,300.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

So very sorry to hear about your 2 relatives' illnesses, and your difficulty in finding a reasonable fare to go to them. I can't help much regarding fares, other than suggest you could speak to the airlines direct and explain your situation, rather than look for fares on the internet. The chance of compassionate treatment would be better on the phone I think.

Sending kind thoughts and hopes that your strength will help your loved ones to cope.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 11:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

No, I have not tried that yet, that is my next move. I have searched everywhere. I need to get to Edinburgh from Phoenix. This all happened so quick. She was ok 2 weeks ago when I last spoke to her, she said she was having trouble with her thyroid but had just got medication for it. Then my other sister called last Wed and said that she was having trouble breathing and they had taken her into hospital. They said she had nodules on her thyroid and would remove them on Fri of last week as they were pressing against her airway. Got another call to say she had been moved to another hospital and they were going to operate today. Well, they did and found massive cancer and just closed her up again. Apparently there is nothing they can do. Spoke to the hospital and they said she is on a breathing tube and they are going to take it out tomorrow to see if she can breathe on her own, if not then it has to go back in. They said there is nothing they can do now except make her comfortable. She is only 50 and just had her first grandbaby 3 months ago. The other unfortunate thing is that she is the caretaker for my father who has prostate and bowel cancer, and is on his last legs. Looks like I may be going home for 2 funerals. If anyone hears of any cheap flights, please let me know, the cheapest I can come up with is $1,300.

This is a terrible situation for all of you. You might ask Cindyabs - she's a travel agent and a very nice person and might be able to give you some pointers.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:33 am
Perfumdiva1

'

Sorry to hear your news, my sister was in the same boat last year, and I had to get home PDQ

Anyway, did a search for you, and it sounds like the fare u have is very good.

BTW, my sister it doing great, 15 months on, and the doctors only gave her five weeks to live...

PD1

All the best

Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your news,

I had to to go home under similar circumstances, I needed to get from Phoenix to Leeds, my wife called British airways who were excellent, I strongly recommend you give them a call, they saved me a lot of money using the compassionate fair scheme for both my wife and I.

Graham
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:43 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I had to go home as my dad was ill in february.The fares on-line were around $1300 ,went to a travel agent and they managed to get me a ticket for $800.I didn't know about the compassionate fares or i might have tried them.I went with continental as they have a direct flight from Newark to Glasgow.Sorry to hear of your circumstances,hope you get home soon as there is nothing worse having a loved one at home who is very ill.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clydegirl
I had to go home as my dad was ill in february.The fares on-line were around $1300 ,went to a travel agent and they managed to get me a ticket for $800.I didn't know about the compassionate fares or i might have tried them.I went with continental as they have a direct flight from Newark to Glasgow.Sorry to hear of your circumstances,hope you get home soon as there is nothing worse having a loved one at home who is very ill.
Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts. I actually rounded up our air miles and had enough for a free flight. Whew, that was a relief. Thanks again. I am going home on Sunday.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future

So sorry to hear that. My sister has terminal cancer too, and has taken the turn for the worst. She is only 42. I fly out tomorrow (July 5th) via Continental. I did get a compassionate fare through them. I'd rather give the money I saved to charity. I'm flying from PIT to BHX with a change at EWR.

There was a thread a few days ago, I shall try and find it for you. My prayers are with you and your family.

Dee

Edited to add: OK - so you've sorted your ticket out. I didn't read any of the other posts, just jumped straight in.

Last edited by DEE_UK; Jul 5th 2005 at 3:25 am.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

I just came across this flight search page www.kayak.com it seems to search all the major airlines and then takes you to the airline website to book directly with them.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Terrible news - not a lot more I can say.

Have a safe journey, and stay well.