No choice in moving back

Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:50 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough
Unhappy No choice in moving back

Hi, I haven't been on this site since we got to Oz, mainly because I have felt quite homesick but I was determined to make a go of it. I'm quite easily swayed by other people's opinions and I didn't want to be part of the "Down with Oz" brigade.
We were going to give it 2 years and then make a decision. Well, we've been here since October 2004 and it seems the decision has been made for us.
My 3 year old boy has just been diagnosed with an autistic disorder.
Before anybody starts going on about the pros and cons of the public health systems in each country, our decision is based solely on family and friend support. We have just begun to make friends (proper friends) in Kalamunda and Lesmurdie where we live and whilst they are so supportive, I can't imagine being able to ask them to take the kids for a weekend like I could with so many people at home.
It's been a tough decision, but we think, the right one.
So now we face the difficulty of getting back on the housing ladder in the UK and making the choice of where to live, we wouldn't return to London, getting jobs etc. etc.
I would really appreciate any good advice any of you have, about anything, including, how does my hubby go about getting a new British passport. We've been on the Internet, obviously, but we haven't been here for two years yet. Who signs his photos? Or can we send them back to the UK to be signed by someone we know? Anybody have any ideas??

Thanks for listening.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:59 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No choice in moving back

Hi Vicky,
sorry no advice, we have only just decided to return too so at the start of sorting it all out. Just wanted to say good luck, hope things work out for your family,
Michaela
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:46 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicky o
Hi, I haven't been on this site since we got to Oz, mainly because I have felt quite homesick but I was determined to make a go of it. I'm quite easily swayed by other people's opinions and I didn't want to be part of the "Down with Oz" brigade.
We were going to give it 2 years and then make a decision. Well, we've been here since October 2004 and it seems the decision has been made for us.
Before anybody starts going on about the pros and cons of the public health systems in each country, our decision is based solely on family and friend support. We have just begun to make friends (proper friends) in Kalamunda and Lesmurdie where we live and whilst they are so supportive, I can't imagine being able to ask them to take the kids for a weekend like I could with so many people at home.
So now we face the difficulty of getting back on the housing ladder in the UK and making the choice of where to live, we wouldn't return to London, getting jobs etc. etc.
I would really appreciate any good advice any of you have, about anything, including, how does my hubby go about getting a new British passport. We've been on the Internet, obviously, but we haven't been here for two years yet. Who signs his photos? Or can we send them back to the UK to be signed by someone we know? Anybody have any ideas??

Thanks for listening.
HI.
Sorry for the news about your son. But I think you are right as well. The support of your family will not only help you but it will help your son too. It is a shame though that you cant get the two years first to keep the option open for the future. I do think all things for a reason though. About the passport I think anyone in a respected field, ( clergy, policeman, teacher...)That you have had any contact with is accepted. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck. Hope all things go well for you and your son.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=vicky o]Hi, I haven't been on this site since we got to Oz, mainly because I have felt quite homesick but I was determined to make a go of it. I'm quite easily swayed by other people's opinions and I didn't want to be part of the "Down with Oz" brigade.

Hi Vicky

Well I can understand the homesickness. See my own threads in this forum! Just before you make the final decision wait a moment. Are you sure that you are not looking for a good reason to move back and your child's new diagnosis, you feel has now given you that? Nothing wrong with that if it is the case. One the other hand I have two little fellas with special needs and although it has taken some time - we arrived the same time as you did - we have begun to find help both from new found friends but also importantly I think from statuatory bodies. I am happy to send you a private message with some of the resources we have located if that is what you would like. We also have aquantances who are looking after two forster children both with varying degreed of autism. I know that they get a lot of practical and emotional support from the Autistic society. Personally, once we have cut through all the dead wood, I have found support in Australia as good as in the UK. Mind you we did not have family to turn to in the UK - so nothing has changed on that level for us. Good luck with what every you decide.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:56 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for listening.
New passport thru the Brit embassy.

Brit embassies abroad are fairly understanding. I just got somebody at work to sign mine last time, Finance Director, wasn't a problem. Not sure where you have to send yours to, guess it's not Perth but Sydney, suggest you speak to the embassy first just pick up the phone, they'll be friendly and ask who might be best witness.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

happy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for listening.
Hi Vicky

Sorry to hear about your little boy, I hope that everything turns out good for you all. Its very difficult without family when something like this happens, but as you say, you have made new friends here - I am sure they will support you to the hilt.

We are just down the road from Kalamunda, PM if you would like a chat/coffee. Cheers - happy2
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:57 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Thanks for listening.
I am sorry to hear about your son but you have probably made the right decision to move back so that you can have the support of your family.

As for the passport I seem to remember that it is fairly straight forward to get a replacement and you should contact the British Embassy.

Good Luck

Susan
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Vicky - what a tough decision to have to make.
As for the passport - its issued through the High Commission in Canberra -

http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/passportsdefault.asp
Old Jun 7th 2005, 3:05 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Vicky with the move. I am sure all will work out fine for you and your family

All the best

P
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:14 pm
Merlot

Sweetie, all the very best with it, feel for you at this time.

M

Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Maldepays will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your problems, hope the return goes smoothly for you.

There is a passport section at the British Consulate on St Georges Terrace in Perth.
Best of luck with everything.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Thanks for listening.
Hi Vicki

I had to renew my passport soon after arriving in Perth, I couldn't get anyone to endorse the photo who had known me for any length of time, I called the British Embassy, they were fine about it, I got my son's teacher to do it, she'd only known me a few months, no problem at all especially if you have your old passport.

The housing market here is quite slow now, it's a buyers market, lots of new instructions (we're in rural Dorset) and some price reductions, news reports this week of a high street recession, so don't panic!

We found it tough re-settling back here, we were away over 2 years, it feels much, much better now (back 7 months) and summer is on the way! You will probably miss the Hills area which I think is the best part of Perth (I'm biased!!), we lived in Gooseberry Hill and loved the open spaces, gum trees, wildlife, views. But we have come back to a rural part of England, we've made an effort to opt out of suburban living and love it. I recommend changing your lifestyle when you return, if you can, I appreciate it's not aways easy / possible.

Regarding your son, I'm sure there will be plenty of support back here for you, especially your family, my niece has special needs and there's alot of help available and organisations you can join.

Thinking of you - all the best.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

[QUOTE=Kath]

The housing market here is quite slow now, it's a buyers market, lots of new instructions (we're in rural Dorset) and some price reductions, news reports this week of a high street recession, so don't panic!

But we have come back to a rural part of England, we've made an effort to opt out of suburban living and love it. I recommend changing your lifestyle when you return, if you can, I appreciate it's not aways easy / possible.

Hi Kath

We came from Poole/Bournemouth and are hoping to move back to Dorset. Where are you in rural Dorset and how do you find it with travelling to work etc? Are the prices lower in rural Dorset or no different?

I loved rural Dorset but was always a bit worried about feeling cut off - no worries now - couldn't feel more cut off now if I tried lol!

Cheers

Amanda
Old Jun 10th 2005, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Amanda&Paul]
Originally Posted by Kath

But we have come back to a rural part of England, we've made an effort to opt out of suburban living and love it. I recommend changing your lifestyle when you return, if you can, I appreciate it's not aways easy / possible.

Hi Kath

We came from Poole/Bournemouth and are hoping to move back to Dorset. Where are you in rural Dorset and how do you find it with travelling to work etc? Are the prices lower in rural Dorset or no different?

I loved rural Dorset but was always a bit worried about feeling cut off - no worries now - couldn't feel more cut off now if I tried lol!

Cheers

Amanda
Hi there, we used to live near Poole but found the traffic / congestion had got so much worse over the 2-3 years we were away, we decided to move out.

House prices can be expensive out in the country, especially the villages north of Wimborne, villages in North Dorset are cheaper and further West towards Blandford, Dorchester you seem to get more for your money, see www.teamprop.co.uk for local agents. Our house is small, we have given up more living space for the lifestyle, although we have a good sized garden.

We're out in North Dorset and do end up travelling more but the roads are less congested, also at first you think there's nothing here, shops etc. but after chatting to the locals you find plenty of locally produced food; I now get my eggs from the village farm, a local butcher delivers to me and I get veg boxes from another farm. Why should Tesco get all my business!!

I love the community here, the schools are excellent, we're still only 40 minutes to Poole, Salisbury, London in less than 2 hours, ferries to France from Poole and Weymouth, so after Perth everything seems on the doorstep!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 6:21 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for listening.
Hi Vicki,
Just wanted to say I'm sorry about your little boy and I hope you find a happy life for all your family back in the UK.
My brother has Autism Spectrum Disorder, he is mildly autistic, he's not Rainman but he's not really able to have 'normal' relationships, mature at a 'normal' pace and is unable to think consequentially, ie, "If I stay up until 3am the consequence will be I am tired tomorrow morning."
At least this has been diagnosed now and you can start to adjust yourselves and him to this news instead of learning of it at age 16 or whatever. The symptoms with my brother started when he was a toddler, banging his head against the wall, not learning to speak until late on, uncomfortable with physical contact etc.
I think something that may be really important for you to consider, which was essential for me, is counselling. That helped me to come to terms with who my brother was and who he would never be, and that none of his sometimes violent and cruel behaviour towards me, really had anything to do with me at all. I doubt he will ever be a happily married man with kids but he is a qualified nurse and able to hold down a job (for now at least)
There is a wealth of information and support on the internet too, and its getting bigger and better all the time. If you would like to chat I'm only a PM away.
You're in my thoughts and prayers,
Sarah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.