Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone got the job for NZ Prison Service and where?

Anyone got the job for NZ Prison Service and where?

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future
Default Anyone got the job for NZ Prison Service and where?

Has Anyone got the job with NZ Prison Service yet?

Has anyone got a job from the Uk with the NZ corrections service?

Where is it?

Will You take it?

Last edited by ranbysue; Jun 3rd 2005 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

nudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone got the job for NZ Prison Service and where?

Ye ive got a job offer... recieved it a week on friday for the canterbury region
And indeed I am taking it...
And why not?

Ive got my self pulled out of the pool on 115 point done my medical and got the disclosure thing back ( one week when done on the net) think ive even got the house sold
We live in Central Scotland and it's got nothing for the kids unlike NZ so were off as soon as we get the nod the waiting hard but not quick enough for us..
Nudenut
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nudenut
Ye ive got a job offer... recieved it a week on friday for the canterbury region
And why not?

Ive got my self pulled out of the pool on 115 point done my medical and got the disclosure thing back ( one week when done on the net) think ive even got the house sold
We live in Central Scotland and it's got nothing for the kids unlike NZ so were off as soon as we get the nod the waiting hard but not quick enough for us..
Nudenut

do you work for the UK prison service at the moment and how long did it take you to hear that you'd got the job. My husband had his interview 2 weeks ago today but hasn't heard anything yet. They were looking at Waikeria Prison near hamilton for us. Which prison have they offered you?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:49 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

And why not?

Nudenut
Here big man

Yer spellings even crap on here

ILM my a**e !!!!!!!!!!!!! who did you sleep with to get this !!!!!!!!

Yes you know who it is !!!!!!!!!!

EF !!!!!!!!!

PS Well done on job offer
Old Jun 11th 2005, 7:54 am
Just Joined

nudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant future

Ye I work for the Scottish Prison Service.... It took around 4 weeks for me to hear i think I was one of the first load to hear .One of my workmates heard 2 weeks after she had her interview and another 3 weeks later so it would seem that they are a wee bit disorganised ( surprise a prison service that disorganised) We are going to Christchurch and we start in September ish so there's no time to waste.. in fact its blood scary how fast its all going.house sold visas almost there blah blah blah only thing we've not done is pay for flight or indeed book them
Have you been to NZ before....
Nudenut
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ye I work for the Scottish Prison Service.... It took around 4 weeks for me to hear i think I was one of the first load to hear .One of my workmates heard 2 weeks after she had her interview and another 3 weeks later so it would seem that they are a wee bit disorganised ( surprise a prison service that disorganised) We are going to Christchurch and we start in September ish so there's no time to waste.. in fact its blood scary how fast its all going.house sold visas almost there blah blah blah only thing we've not done is pay for flight or indeed book them
Have you been to NZ before....
Nudenut

Hi

My Husband has received a letter this morning and has got the job (two weeks after the interview). He has been offered Waikeria which I believe is not too far from Hamilton. It's not the prison that we originally wanted as we would have liked Northlands which is in the Bay of Islands region but they said this was full. Our friend went out two weeks ago to live in Auckland where his mother in law lives and promised to e-mail us when he gets settled in.

No, we have never been to NZ and am still unsure as to whether we will take the job. My husband would go tomorrow but it's me holding us back (even though it was me who pushed him to apply in the first place!). Reality dawned when the post arrived this morning from London!!!!

They have given us a date for March 2006 so it's quite a way off yet and will give us a little breathing space. I am worried about the wages as they appear to be very low in UK terms and gathering from the replies on this website the cost of living on this salary would not be feasable, so it has put me off amongst other comments. I don't want to go out there to be worse off and not able to afford to go on a holiday or come back to the Uk as it is approx £2000 each for the flights. Most people have said you need at least £60k to be able to survive in NZ and have a resonable standard of living. Anyway we will think long and hard as the alternative isn't very appealing either, what with crime etc in the Uk. I worry for my children who are 9 and 7 growing up in UK. I also worry that I will be taking them away from everyone and everything that they know and love. Oh dear don't I sound negative? Sorry!

Anyway yes my husband does work for the Prison Service too.

Thanks for replying and please keep in touch and let me know what made you decide to leave for NZ.

Suze
Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Suze, NZ is a great place to bring up kids, they seem as if they are kids for longer. There is a very much family orientated way of life here. Weekends are spent at kids sports and most week ends the kids are either at or having sleepovers with their friends. It's certainly not as commerical as the UK, although I'm sure it is getting more so as time goes on. Our kids have had the opportunity to do so much more than in the UK.

However there is a down side, everything costs. You pay a fee each year to the school, you pay for all their stationary, dental cost and eye tests. You pay to see the GP and for prescription, even for children. What you would have spent keping up with the Jones' with designer "this and that", you now spend on Tennis lessons, Hockey coaching, Trips to adventure parks and and the bits that go with it. We bought 2 kayaks and it cost us the same as a kayak to pay for the roof rack needed to transport them. It's a fitter healthier world. No sitting indoors when you can be out on your bike or swimming in hotpools

Food cost are high, as there is nowhere like Aldi, Lidl or Netto for "cheap" bits and pieces, and there isn't the 3 for the price of 2 deals that you always seemed to get in ASDA.

We are fairly fortunate financially, but that still means we have to be careful.

Gill
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for writing back.
We too have the same anxiety's as you are expressing, especially after reading some of the negative comments on this forum....
The financial side is always a worry but I keep telling myself is that "its not about me its about the kids" like you i worry about the kids future in UK but having been to NZ last year for a month I know things are safer and more family orientated with big positive outlook no worries!!!
Ye wages are shit but my wife ll be working before long and then it'll be easier. There is the promotion thing as well, but I'm honestly intending on using the Corrections job as a spring board to do something more interesting well maybe...
Do your research on the net at houses schools etc before you make the final decision even visit if you can but take it from me it'll be worth it even the whole proses of getting a visa is exiting
Our kids are bursting to go and so are we indeed we've been invited to my cousins wedding in September so there's no time to waste
Nudenut