Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If I knew then, what I know now...

If I knew then, what I know now...

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Post If I knew then, what I know now...

Just going to start a thread up for tips for the people who aren't here yet.

Mine is the fact we applied for our police certs before we sent our application, and after being here for weeks before our house sale went through we now realise the extra month or so before I needed to validate would have been a godsend to us, I would also have got to see the end of the football season

But my tip is:
Dont send meds or police certs until you get asked for them
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I knew then, what I know now...

My tip.

Get on the waiting list of a number of private schools long before you actually make the move.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:58 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Visit at least once before you move here.

The reason I saythis is because I had never been to Australia before coming to live here, believing the other half was right in his estimations of a better life, now I'm not saying that he was wrong, because it has been a very good move for us, I just wish I had seen Australia before saying 'yes I want to live there'.

Marie
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 3:33 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Be prepared to really find out who your friends are and who was just an acquaintance.

Realise that Australia is NOT the UK in the sun

Don't except to feel settled within a week, it can take months and maybe a couple of years

Be prepared to take a pay cut - the fact you can go to the beach, have a pool etc will compensate in other ways anyway

Australian is not 'English with an accent' - learn now what can save you embarrassment later Aussie Slang

If you like it in the UK, bring it with you - too many people regret not bringing a 'favourite jumper' or 'their entire CD collection' because they think they won't miss it here. If you're paying for a container, you may as well fill it up!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Milo
Visit at least once before you move here.

The reason I saythis is because I had never been to Australia before coming to live here, believing the other half was right in his estimations of a better life, now I'm not saying that he was wrong, because it has been a very good move for us, I just wish I had seen Australia before saying 'yes I want to live there'.

Marie
Hi Marie,
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. We had the opportunity of coming over with my husbands job and visa and relocation were sorted out within a few months. Apart from not having much time for a reccie, we also couldn't have afforded it. With 2 small children I couldn't face flying across and back again. Just getting here was enough! I also wouldn't want to come for a look and think 'I don't like it' after we had decided to move. We have come basically for a 2 year adventure and after that we will decide what to do. We still have our house in the uk and would agree with you that people who want to sell up should give it a try first. I liked the security of knowing we can go back if we want, although so far we don't!
Pootle
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:01 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

My tip, when it comes to filling your suitcase, really think about what you need. We ended up chucking stuff out the night before as the weight was at the limit ( probably due to hubby suddenly appearing with a load of computer cables, disks blah blah blah!!).
2nd Tip, if you like your Cadburys chocolate, bring a load with you, I totally forgot and crave for that creamy, melt in the mouth ooooohhhhh!
ViVi
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by vivi
2nd Tip, if you like your Cadburys chocolate, bring a load with you, I totally forgot and crave for that creamy, melt in the mouth ooooohhhhh!
ViVi
But don't worry too much, most peoples tastes adapt, and you will end up liking the Cadburys Chocolate made here eventually

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:14 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But don't worry too much, most peoples tastes adapt, and you will end up liking the Cadburys Chocolate made here eventually
No worries, I just don't buy it, better for the figure, mind you the snickers are nice!
ViVi
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:51 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pootle
Hi Marie,
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. We had the opportunity of coming over with my husbands job and visa and relocation were sorted out within a few months. Apart from not having much time for a reccie, we also couldn't have afforded it.
I don't get it. Why would anyone want to move to a place that they had never even visited before? Someone please enlighten me!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: If I knew then, what I know now...

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
I don't get it. Why would anyone want to move to a place that they had never even visited before? Someone please enlighten me!
Oh just for the fun of it...to live life a little!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:11 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

you can buy Brit chocolates online ( shops within Aus) at a price, also on Ebay Au, there is a seller there that is selling Brit sweets.

Although not a huge choc fan myself , I can't stand Aussie Choc myself, even after years, and prefer Brit chocolate, or Belgium choc - it's just plain tasteless here to my taste buds

It is one of things I do stock my suitcases up with on my trips back to the UK
.................................................. .................................................. .....

stock up on the instant Bisto's chip shop curry if you like chip shop curry on your chips. nice and light for the suitcase, you can not get this here to the best of my knoweledge

Brake bleeders! if you like to bleed your own - I've never seen any for sale here - I got mine from the UK when I was back, just a couple of quid, nice and light again.

Fishing gadgets , if you're into fishing - the little lights that go on the end of the rod ( the ones with batteries, not the disposable green glow ones which you can get here) They do not sell them here at all, been out for decades in the UK, as long as I can remember and purchased a load of them when I went back.

may seem like trivial things, but believe me try finding a brake bleeding kit here , or instant chip shop curry, or a re usable rod tip light. all which are light to pack.

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 2nd 2005 at 6:14 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:40 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by vivi
if you like your Cadburys chocolate, bring a toad with you, I totally forgot and crave for that creamy, melt in the mouth ooooohhhhh!
ViVi
You can't get Cadbury's Toads but Freddo Frogs are quite nice
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: If I knew then, what I know now...

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
All babies do it and adapt quite fine
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:34 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Hmmmm, ok... WHEN?????
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:26 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hevs
Hmmmm, ok... WHEN?????
Try the new Boosts, they are scrumm didily dumptious and I am sorry to say NICER than the ones you get in England.

And the King size ones come in 2 halves so you can say to yourself "I'll only eat half so it is not as fattening" and then sneakily eat the 2nd half an hour later.

MMMMMMMM
Kala

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.