Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Northland vs. Bay of Plenty ?????

Northland vs. Bay of Plenty ?????

Old May 11th 2005, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of
Default Northland vs. Bay of Plenty ?????

I would be interested in any comments on this subject....as broad as you like really...schools, housing, shopping, social events, green/alternative issues, business start-up prospects, and of course diving(the scuba variety!!)

Cheers everyone,
Dave
Old May 11th 2005, 3:40 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northland vs. Bay of Plenty ?????

Originally Posted by Paladin
I would be interested in any comments on this subject....as broad as you like really...schools, housing, shopping, social events, green/alternative issues, business start-up prospects, and of course diving(the scuba variety!!)

Cheers everyone,
Dave
Sorry, no info, but wanted to promote sensible posts over all the recent crap so that others would see.

BOP for me from what I've heard
Old May 11th 2005, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biddy
Sorry, no info, but wanted to promote sensible posts over all the recent crap so that others would see.

BOP for me from what I've heard
Biddy....thanks for that!!
I think the diving is still of interest in BoP and my wife likes the idea of the diving with dolphins thing...Roger is prob the one for diving isnside info I suppose! She will also want to try and live somewhere very "alternative" as she is well into the whole healing, alternative therapy culture.
As you may have seen on one of my posts today I am fretting a bit about one of my prior employment details not being able to be verified due to a company going bust....have 110 points with 10 yrs+ employment but of that(and NOT includung the one that may have gone bust), only 7 years 8 months that I have been able to get confirmed contact details for NZIS to verify. On top of all of that I have 3 years of UK tax returns as a self-employed Futures & Options Trader which I would hope would be ok if needed to take it all back over 10yrs.
What's your take on it....would it be better to edit my employment history on the EOI now or wait and see what NZIS/Case Worker says?

Cheers,(apologies for off topic!)
Dave
Old May 11th 2005, 6:34 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

HI there

Can I ask what type of work are you looking for and roughly how much cash do you want to spend on a house. Do you want lifestyle or new bla bla bla

We lived at the beach in Papamoa for just under a year.

To answer some of your questions:

Tons of shops and growing every day. Supposidly Tauranga is the fastest growing town in NZ, shops very samey mind you, but everything you need and Auckland isnt too far away for something a wee bit different.

Cant comment on schools but friends of ours have a daughter at the Girls college and shes enjoying it and the same friend is a English teacher in Otaumati (sp), again shes liking it.

Now as for the diving. No probs there. Loads of water sports and dolphins galore. We lived at the beach and it was out of this world seeing them swim by... also a few Killer Whales.

Anything else just ask.
Old May 11th 2005, 7:59 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Biddy....thanks for that!!
I think the diving is still of interest in BoP and my wife likes the idea of the diving with dolphins thing...Roger is prob the one for diving isnside info I suppose! She will also want to try and live somewhere very "alternative" as she is well into the whole healing, alternative therapy culture.
As you may have seen on one of my posts today I am fretting a bit about one of my prior employment details not being able to be verified due to a company going bust....have 110 points with 10 yrs+ employment but of that(and NOT includung the one that may have gone bust), only 7 years 8 months that I have been able to get confirmed contact details for NZIS to verify. On top of all of that I have 3 years of UK tax returns as a self-employed Futures & Options Trader which I would hope would be ok if needed to take it all back over 10yrs.
What's your take on it....would it be better to edit my employment history on the EOI now or wait and see what NZIS/Case Worker says?

Cheers,(apologies for off topic!)
Dave
Diving bit sounds Fab! I did Marine Biology as a degree and spent a few months after Uni on the Barrier Reef doing voluntary work which involved diving every day - someones got to do it! However since being back in UK for last 15 years I haven't even put on a tank - that's how much UK waters interest me. NZ sounds brilliant - the idea of diving with dolphins - wow!

Re the work experience thing I must confess I don't really know - we've used agents for our whole process to take away some of the strain, and so I haven't really read up on all the guidelines etc - what I do know is that my 3 years of being self employed hasn't counted towards my work ex, but my time in sales and as a sales manager has.
Hopefully someone here will be better placed to advise - a phone call to someone in officialdom seems like a good first step.

Good luck!
Old May 12th 2005, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottish
HI there

Can I ask what type of work are you looking for and roughly how much cash do you want to spend on a house. Do you want lifestyle or new bla bla bla

We lived at the beach in Papamoa for just under a year.

To answer some of your questions:

Tons of shops and growing every day. Supposidly Tauranga is the fastest growing town in NZ, shops very samey mind you, but everything you need and Auckland isnt too far away for something a wee bit different.

Cant comment on schools but friends of ours have a daughter at the Girls college and shes enjoying it and the same friend is a English teacher in Otaumati (sp), again shes liking it.

Now as for the diving. No probs there. Loads of water sports and dolphins galore. We lived at the beach and it was out of this world seeing them swim by... also a few Killer Whales.

Anything else just ask.
Thanks Scottish, helpful info!

We are hoping to buy a house as close to UKĀ£100,000 as poss, NOT in Auckland...we prefer being in the countryside in a smaller town to being in a big city and no need to be ON the beach but not too far from the coast. In saying that we will of course go where I can best find a job if they make me go that route and having worked in finance/insurance/investments for all my employment that is likely to have to be Auckland or Wellington!!! But am hoping will get PR and will then look to start up some type of diving business.

We hope to have enough cash in bank to pay living costs for the first year.....do you think that's a good cushion to get settled in these areas?

Cheers,
Dave
Old May 12th 2005, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biddy
Diving bit sounds Fab! I did Marine Biology as a degree and spent a few months after Uni on the Barrier Reef doing voluntary work which involved diving every day - someones got to do it! However since being back in UK for last 15 years I haven't even put on a tank - that's how much UK waters interest me. NZ sounds brilliant - the idea of diving with dolphins - wow!

Re the work experience thing I must confess I don't really know - we've used agents for our whole process to take away some of the strain, and so I haven't really read up on all the guidelines etc - what I do know is that my 3 years of being self employed hasn't counted towards my work ex, but my time in sales and as a sales manager has.
Hopefully someone here will be better placed to advise - a phone call to someone in officialdom seems like a good first step.

Good luck!
Hi Biddy,

Cheers...I think I would be in the same position with the self-employed work from what I can make of the guidelines. Was able to check the selection point this morning and it was 100 points again so at least even if they don't allow it we will still have at the very least 7yrs 8months work exp so would drop down from 110 to 100 points which would be ok I presume.

Pleased to hear you have been on the Barrier Reef.....I have been diving there out of Port Douglas north of Cairns on two Oz trips......great diving but the reef is under pressure I feel....went last June/July and it didn't seem as healthy as when we went 2 years prior.

You didn't fancy Oz for a new home then?

Too hot, too humid, too brash, too many nasty snakes & spiders, TOO AMERICAN for my liking!!!!!

Dave
Old May 12th 2005, 5:45 pm

We are hoping to buy a house as close to UKĀ£100,000 as poss, NOT in Auckland...we prefer being in the countryside in a smaller town to being in a big city and no need to be ON the beach but not too far from the coast. In saying that we will of course go where I can best find a job if they make me go that route and having worked in finance/insurance/investments for all my employment that is likely to have to be Auckland or Wellington!!! But am hoping will get PR and will then look to start up some type of diving business.

We hope to have enough cash in bank to pay living costs for the first year.....do you think that's a good cushion to get settled in these areas?

Cheers,
Dave
Hi Dave

With the rate of exchange being what it is I think you will struggle to be mortgage free. However, if you are looking still at the BOP, theres a small township called Te Puke, about 10 mins from Papamoa. You will get the country life, friendly folk and think manage to be mortgage free. For working you have the choice of Tauranga, Rotorua and possibly Hamilton (later might be a bit of a drive mind you).

If you want to stay in Papamoa, Welcome Bay etc be prepared to pay close to $375 upwards for a house. Saying that you may look at it as dead money but renting could be an option. A decent rental in Te Puke would set you back about $250 upwards and Papamoa $320 a week.

The BOP offers a wonderful way of life, gorgeous beaches and has a nice feel to it.

Can recommend a fabby chippie, Indian and Pie shop lol
Old May 13th 2005, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

hi i live in tauranga and would like to know where the good indian is as we have tried lots but they are all terrible!!!
Old May 13th 2005, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Cheers everyone,
Dave

Well, mines a completely biased reply - as I live in the BOP!! I LOVE it here - definately the BOP. So much to do here and within 2 hours of anything you need or want to do. We live in Rotavegas (Rotorua), and its a great town. House prices are whole LOT cheaper than in Tauranga too. I spoke to an estate agent the other day, a friend of mine who tells me they are selling heaps of houses to Aucklanders - but even more to people from Tauranga as its so much cheaper to buy here in Rotorua than there, and then they commute to Tauranga. Te Puke is noce too - agree with that, but a little too out in the sticks for my liking and not enough shops! There are lots of bars and resteraunts here in Rotavegas, and lots of POMS too, and the everyone is so friendly and also getto meet heaps of tourists - makes life interesting! I like most of the BOP so BOP it is for me to recommend to you (obviously very unbiased opinion!!!!!!) LOL. Let us know where you go.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ex geordie
hi i live in tauranga and would like to know where the good indian is as we have tried lots but they are all terrible!!!

They're just not as good as back at in the UK hey. DOn't know why but they just don't the same the indians here??????????
Old May 13th 2005, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers,
Dave
Look at www.open2view.com - and click on BOP. Have a look at various areas and prices etc.
Old May 13th 2005, 7:58 am

Hi there

Took us a while to find a decent Indian until hubby went to fix a gas tandoori oven in Te Puke. Owner allowed him to try a few samples and we were hooked. Cant remember the name but its the only one in Te Puke. Very small place that is on the corner across from Subway. Does both take out and sit in. Its a bit price by NZ standards but worth a treat.

However, if you want to make your own, which we done on more than on occasion. In Te Puke just down from Subway (same side just up from Gas Station at the end of the the main street heading for Whakatane, right hand side) theres a brilliant Indian grocery shop. Wow is all I can say and its dirt cheap. We made our own Chappatis, Tandoori and loads of currys. You can buy the Popodums and loads of other stuff. Brillaint find!!!! All the bits are authentic Indian and not one thing is made in NZ.

God Im starting to miss the place now lol all this talk of dolphins and weather.

ps I prefer Papamoa to Rotavegas, never could get used to the smell ha ha
Old May 13th 2005, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottish
Hi there

Took us a while to find a decent Indian until hubby went to fix a gas tandoori oven in Te Puke. Owner allowed him to try a few samples and we were hooked. Cant remember the name but its the only one in Te Puke. Very small place that is on the corner across from Subway. Does both take out and sit in. Its a bit price by NZ standards but worth a treat.

However, if you want to make your own, which we done on more than on occasion. In Te Puke just down from Subway (same side just up from Gas Station at the end of the the main street heading for Whakatane, right hand side) theres a brilliant Indian grocery shop. Wow is all I can say and its dirt cheap. We made our own Chappatis, Tandoori and loads of currys. You can buy the Popodums and loads of other stuff. Brillaint find!!!! All the bits are authentic Indian and not one thing is made in NZ.

God Im starting to miss the place now lol all this talk of dolphins and weather.

ps I prefer Papamoa to Rotavegas, never could get used to the smell ha ha
What smell You get used to it - honest. I like both to be honest. Just a little too quiet for me in Papamoa - but - we spend HEAPS of time there in the summer. Just beautiful.
Old May 13th 2005, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers everyone,
Dave
bit more on RottonRua.......
Also schooling is not bad too - one of our colleges - John Paul College has been rated as one of the best performing in NZ!! Primary school are great too - Lynmore and Otonga have good reps (biased opinion - mine goes to Otonga and friends go to Lynmore, but both do well with their ERO reports). Its like the Lake District of the NZ, Lake Tarawera is my personal favourite, just stunning, as well as being close to Tauranga, papamoa, Hamilton, Corramandel, Auckland (if you want to go - hee hee), and Lake Taupo and a few hours driving to Napier etc. You get used to the smell too - actually never even notice it now???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.