Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Books on/from/about NZ-a warm and fuzzy thread

Books on/from/about NZ-a warm and fuzzy thread

Old May 9th 2005, 4:43 pm
Damages

Default Books on/from/about NZ-a warm and fuzzy thread

Hello all,

Your friendly librarian here. During our time here many people have mentioned good/bad books on NZ so while we're still feeling slightly warm and fuzzy I thought I'd create another friendly thread where we can talk about books with a NZ connection (a kind of British Expats reading group). On another thread recently someone said they didnt rate the Rough Guide.

My speciality is children's books and those of you with knee-high chiddlers may know the Hairy McLary books written in verse about a scruffy little dog Hairy McLary from Donaldson's Dairy. The author/illustrator Lynley Dodd is a Kiwi. There I've started.

Next?

Old May 9th 2005, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books on/from/about NZ-a warm and fuzzy thread

I have just read my little boy (1/2 Kiwi!) Schnitzel Von Crumm by Lynley Dodd about 5 miutes ago! he also has Scuffy the Tugboat I am not sure who by and a great one for little boys is "Walters Planet" both by Kiwi authors

I bought home lots of N.Z cookbooks as I love cooking and the food in New Zealand, Kiwi cook Annabel Langbein does some amazing recipies and her books are easy to follow.

Nice Thread!

Originally Posted by Damages
Hello all,

Your friendly librarian here. During our time here many people have mentioned good/bad books on NZ so while we're still feeling slightly warm and fuzzy I thought I'd create another friendly thread where we can talk about books with a NZ connection (a kind of British Expats reading group). On another thread recently someone said they didnt rate the Rough Guide.

My speciality is children's books and those of you with knee-high chiddlers may know the Hairy McLary books written in verse about a scruffy little dog Hairy McLary from Donaldson's Dairy. The author/illustrator Lynley Dodd is a Kiwi. There I've started.

Next?
Old May 9th 2005, 6:09 pm

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Love Hairy Mclary (have a 3 year old granddaughter).

My contribution is another childrens author - Margaret Mahy.
Old May 9th 2005, 7:24 pm
Damages

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Love Hairy Mclary (have a 3 year old granddaughter).

My contribution is another childrens author - Margaret Mahy.
Oh yes Margaret Mahy is good. Very versatile as she writes for many ages. She's written some great pirate picture books and is one of very few authors to twice win the prestigious Carnegie medal, an annual award for a children's book, voted by librarians.

Phyllis

Old May 9th 2005, 7:28 pm
Damages

Originally Posted by ginaf
I have just read my little boy (1/2 Kiwi!) Schnitzel Von Crumm by Lynley Dodd about 5 miutes ago! he also has Scuffy the Tugboat I am not sure who by and a great one for little boys is "Walters Planet" both by Kiwi authors

I bought home lots of N.Z cookbooks as I love cooking and the food in New Zealand, Kiwi cook Annabel Langbein does some amazing recipies and her books are easy to follow.

Nice Thread!
Bought a Hairy McLary collection for my youngest a couple of Christmases ago. We just love:

Hairy McLary's Rumpus at the Vet (PMSL just thinking about it)...
...and the pet show one

Altogether now...

Hercules Morse as big as a horse,
Bottomley Potts all covered in spots...

Phyllis

Old May 10th 2005, 3:45 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Bought a Hairy McLary collection for my youngest a couple of Christmases ago. We just love:

Hairy McLary's Rumpus at the Vet (PMSL just thinking about it)...
...and the pet show one

Altogether now...

Hercules Morse as big as a horse,
Bottomley Potts all covered in spots...

Phyllis
Muffin McClay like a bundle of hay

Bitzer Maloney all skinny and bony
Old May 10th 2005, 4:17 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

On another thread recently someone said they didnt rate the Rough Guide.
Rough Guide is not as good as Lonely Planet, who seem to have adopted a 'matier' editorial tone and enjoy the virtuous circle of selling more, updating the content more frequently (bring out new editions) and maintaining the relevance of the content.

LP should probably be the first buy for anyone going to NZ.
Old May 10th 2005, 10:34 pm
Damages

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Muffin McClay like a bundle of hay

Bitzer Maloney all skinny and bony
Schnitzel von Krumm with the very low tum
And Hairy Mclary from Donaldson's Dairy

Hope we didn't miss anyone out. I used to have a tape of Tom Conti reading this, it sounded superb with his lovely Scottish accent. You can also get it on DVD.

Phyllis

Old May 10th 2005, 10:36 pm
Damages

Originally Posted by Don
Rough Guide is not as good as Lonely Planet, who seem to have adopted a 'matier' editorial tone and enjoy the virtuous circle of selling more, updating the content more frequently (bring out new editions) and maintaining the relevance of the content.

Thank you Don. Anyone else have living and/or working in NZ books to recommend? Or any fiction?

P

Old May 10th 2005, 10:44 pm
enilorac

Originally Posted by Don

...thank god for that...thought I'd wasted £15 on LP...but its actually quite good...also got a living and working one but its upstairs so may have to tell you another time...its a good un though....

Old May 10th 2005, 10:54 pm
Damages

Originally Posted by enilorac
...thank god for that...thought I'd wasted £15 on LP...but its actually quite good...also got a living and working one but its upstairs so may have to tell you another time...its a good un though....
I found a couple Caroline. Grabbed them from an old thread:

Going to live in NZ by Mary Neilson and Mathew Collins published by howtobooks, ISBN 1857039653

Living and working in NZ by Mark Hempshell published by Survival books ISBN 1901130762 (very detailed)

P

Old May 10th 2005, 10:59 pm
enilorac

I found a couple Caroline. Grabbed them from an old thread:

Going to live in NZ by Mary Neilson and Mathew Collins published by howtobooks, ISBN 1857039653

Living and working in NZ by Mark Hempshell published by Survival books ISBN 1901130762 (very detailed)

P
erm..believe I may have those ones upstairs too.....bit of a bookworm myself Phyll although tend to stay away from factual stuff - like a bit of escapism and just general chicklit although I am partial to the odd Patricia Cornwell too - 'cept Isle of Dogs ...that one just didn't do it for me at all!!! May need a full container just for my books or might sell them all and buy lots of new ones....decisions, decisions....

Old May 11th 2005, 1:34 pm
Damages

erm..believe I may have those ones upstairs too.....bit of a bookworm myself Phyll although tend to stay away from factual stuff - like a bit of escapism and just general chicklit although I am partial to the odd Patricia Cornwell too - 'cept Isle of Dogs ...that one just didn't do it for me at all!!! May need a full container just for my books or might sell them all and buy lots of new ones....decisions, decisions....
If you're getting a container take the books they're quite expensive in NZ and may be subject to GST (I'm sure Mr Kiwijet can answer this one). There's no VAT on books here as they come under educational items (yes, even chicklit, although I'm partial to a bit of Kathy Lette and Wendy Holden myself). It's probably cheaper to take them I'm sure you can find the room...go on, you know you want to).

Phyl

Old May 16th 2005, 10:48 pm
enilorac

If you're getting a container take the books they're quite expensive in NZ . There's no VAT on books here as they come under educational items (yes, even chicklit, although I'm partial to a bit of Kathy Lette and Wendy Holden myself). It's probably cheaper to take them I'm sure you can find the room...go on, you know you want to).

Phyl
Shame this thread got lost along the way.....along with Phyll and Ali.... Anybody got any good recommendations for reading up on NZ.......

Old May 16th 2005, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Shame this thread got lost along the way.....along with Phyll and Ali.... Anybody got any good recommendations for reading up on NZ.......
Hi Caroline,

I'm currently reading "A land of Two Halves" by Joe Bennett.

Its about someone who has lived there for 15 years and decides to go off hitchhikink around the country. A warm an amusing read. Recommended

Kind Regards

From the Palindrome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.