Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone packed their own container?

Anyone packed their own container?

Old May 3rd 2005, 9:51 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone packed their own container?

We have been looking at container prices for quite some time now and have decided to pack it ourselves to save some cash as we've not got much to start with.
We also like the idea of being able to take our time with the packing.

We are aware we won't be able to get insured for breakage but we're not too bothered about that as we have moved around a fair bit and trust our own packing. We will be getting insured for loss.

We were just wondering if there is anyone else who chose this option.
There are that many companies to choose from and they are all really competitive with the shipping prices aswell as the packaging prices.
Can anyone offer us a recommendation?

Thanks in advance,
Marie
Old May 3rd 2005, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone packed their own container?

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
We have been looking at container prices for quite some time now and have decided to pack it ourselves to save some cash as we've not got much to start with.

We are aware we won't be able to get insured for breakage but we're not too bothered about that as we have moved around a fair bit and trust our own packing. We will be getting insured for loss.

There are that many companies to choose from and they are all really competitive with the shipping prices aswell as the packaging prices.

Thanks in advance,
Marie

Hi Marie,

I am doing the same thing, packing my own container. i dont have heaps of stuff but will tkae a 20'' anyway and do it all myself.
I got quoted 4500$ all the way from my house to BNE and then i will get a broker there to deal with customs etc.
I have found some good sites on the web that expain how to pack a container yourself. just google "pack shipping container yourself".

Have you got any quotes yet?
I live in the middle of Europe so its a bit more expensive i guess cause it needs to get to the sea on the train!

Looking forward to sharing our "DIY container" experiences!!!

fabie
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:01 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Anyone packed their own container?

Thanks in advance,
Marie
There was a thread I think about a month ago about a family that are doing it DIY. You book the container, pack it yourself and then arrange for it to be collected etc. I cant remember who it was now but they did say it does work out a lot cheaper!

If I get time I will try and find it.

R.
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We packed our own container, I can't recommend the shippers (Automarine) as they mucked us about. We saved quite a bit of dosh, but the container was delayed and our mates ended up having to buy more stuff as they'd arrived earlier than us. I've been meaning to update and will do soon, gotta dash.
Just quickly though, use silicon gel bags with electrical equipment, photos and papers as we had some damp.
Use double walled packing boxes (export quality)
Use an inventory, detail on each box whats in it and how its been cleaned if relevant.
Use a customs broker to clear your goods through customs.
Take care
Larissa
Will try and write more in the next few days, really have got to get off now.
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We packed our selves.
Larissa and I lived close to each other so we shared a container.
It is quite hard work, but heaps cheaper.
You wouldnt believe the amount of stuff you can get in that container!!!
If you are doing it yourself...........bring EVERYTHING. Even things like garden ornaments and nik-naks.

DONT use Auto-marine shipping. They really mucked us about....we ended up with a HUGE phone bill where we had to keep ringing the UK to chase them.
I bubblewrapped all our stuff and only had one broken item. It is well worth doing it yourself

All the best
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:58 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

We did the same - self shipping.

UK Costs were circa 1,500 UKPounds (cant find pound key !)
Im estimating because we got a staff discount from shipper. THis was 20ft container dropped at our house for 3-5 hours , we loaded it, it disappeared and went on the ship to brisbane.

Charges in Brisbane from a local shipping agent
- 500$ unpack fee (!) we're arguing cos we only had 13cu mtrs
- 250$ move the container inside the port
- 380$ deliver our contents to our house 30kms south of brisbane
- 120$ AQIS FEes
- 75$ to attend Aqis inspection on our behalf
- 220$ for port taxes/charges
- 250$ Agents fee
plus some misc stuff added up to nearly $2100 AU

This is by some reckoning about 2,200 UK Pounds. Our stuff got here in a1 condition because we packed it.

I would most definitely do it again. We only used 20% of the 20ft container.

All personal effects containers are unpacked by Customs and AQIS (Quarantine) so your container that you pack so carefully will be unpacked by dockers at BNE, loaded onto the dockside/warehouse and walked through by customs(Ive got their bootprint on a cardboard box). AQIS will open some of the boxes ( always ) and root around.

Tips:
Compile an inventory of whats in each box, like Box1 = DVDs, Box2=Clothes & TV, Box3 = paintings, Box4=Games, etc. Anything not boxed write that down too, as in 1xbed frame, 1xmattress, 1xsofa.
Read the AQIS website, if it says "careful" (Eg Hoovers) etc then they mean it. We didnt pay any etra steam cleaning etc but other shave had to.
Clean everything - not a spot of mud/dirt/dust from the UK is welcome here. (They have enough of their own thanks).
Provide the inventory to the shipper in UK.
Print out a letter with to "blank" and date blank.. saying... I confirm that this inventory ( then your inventory) are personal effects and are all used or owned by me. Bring it with you and prepare to have to give it to shipping agent here.
Photocopy EVERY page of your passport AQIS will want it. ($2 in post office;-)
You can buy Sofa Bags from removal comapnys for about 7 quid. They are big jiffy bags that slip over sofas, open at one end (bottom) and protect sofa from getting damp

When your container arrives at your house for loading. Step inside it and get hem to lock you in - if you can see ANY daylight then its leaking and you reject it politely and ask for a new one or you face wet stuff at other end. Containers get SOAKED !! they are supposed to be odor-free and air-tight.

Wehn you ask for a container make sure they know its for personal effects, it should be odor free, and air-tight(duh!).

Inside the container are anchor poitns for ropes to secure stuff. go to b and q and buy 40-50 meters of rope (we kept going back to get more!).

You r container will be outside ytour house for limited time -= make sure you are READY and packed in advance. They are restricted by highways rules and also by driver time they will be less than amused at turning up and you not ready. You can always ask driver to go away for a few hours more if hes amenable he might get a mate to come and pick it up.

A 20 ft container is cavernous, I defy anyone who lives in a normal ( ie not on 'acreage' house in UK to fill one.
PM me any Q's happy to help in the war against rip off container shipping.

Last edited by spalen; May 3rd 2005 at 11:00 am.
Old May 3rd 2005, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

We packed a 20' container ourselves when we moved from the UK to the Caribbean, and will probably do the same for Oz. An artic lorry delivered the container in the morning outside our house and we loaded it up starting with my car. We then packed loads of items inside the car, expecially breakables. The other boxes were packed around the car with plenty of padding, I used our mattresses to protect the car.

The container was big enough for my car and all our household stuff as well as some of my sisters things who was also moving out there with us. And the good thing is you have one fixed price and everthing you put in makes no difference to that price, so the more the merrier.

As mentioned in the post above, do make a packing list of every item in each box, customs are very hot on that !

I think I'll have to enquire on container costs to Oz too.

Good luck.
Old May 3rd 2005, 11:47 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
We packed our own container, I can't recommend the shippers (Automarine) as they mucked us about. We saved quite a bit of dosh, but the container was delayed and our mates ended up having to buy more stuff as they'd arrived earlier than us. I've been meaning to update and will do soon, gotta dash.
Just quickly though, use silicon gel bags with electrical equipment, photos and papers as we had some damp.
Use double walled packing boxes (export quality)
Use an inventory, detail on each box whats in it and how its been cleaned if relevant.
Use a customs broker to clear your goods through customs.
Take care
Larissa
Will try and write more in the next few days, really have got to get off now.

Aaarrrrgggghhh, we were just about decided on Automarine, thankyou for warning me about them, we'll keep looking a little longer now. We were gonna get a 40ft with them and stick the car in it aswell.
We're still a little undecided as to whether to get a 20ft container and send the car RORO or get a 40ft container and stick the car in it aswell. We probably only need about 12ft for household things but with the car standing at 14ft, a 20ft wouldn't fit it in, which leaves us alot of space if we get a 40ft. (options options!)
It's nice to see so many of you have done it yourself sucessfully. Did any of you not use a shipping agent at the other side, I think we are going to use one, cos really we've got no idea what to do at the other end, but did any of you do that yourself aswell?

Marie
Old May 6th 2005, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quickie. We didn't ship our car (lol, it was a heap) but MrMover has given lots of advice about shipping and I think I remember something about making sure your car and other large items are well secured, as when the container is being swung around by cranes and bumping about on the sea, boxes etc, can get badly damaged.
Might be worth doing a search... read through as many posts as you can, no one thread has all the info but cumulatively they are very helpful.
Also, I would use a customs broker, as customs will charge you for the time taken for them to inspect your stuff, you want to keep that to a minimum. I don't think they barely looked at our stuff, which could be the labelling and inventory, but most likely because the broker knew them all down there.
Take care
Larissa
Old May 11th 2005, 9:22 pm
GC family day carer

Originally Posted by spalen

Im estimating because we got a staff discount from shipper. THis was 20ft container dropped at our house for 3-5 hours , we loaded it, it disappeared and went on the ship to brisbane.

- 120$ AQIS FEes
- 250$ Agents fee

This is by some reckoning about 2,200 UK Pounds. Our stuff got here in a1 condition because we packed it.

All personal effects containers are unpacked by Customs and AQIS (Quarantine) so your container that you pack so carefully will be unpacked by dockers at BNE, loaded onto the dockside/warehouse and walked through by customs(Ive got their bootprint on a cardboard box). AQIS will open some of the boxes ( always ) and root around.

Tips:
Compile an inventory of whats in each box, like Box1 = DVDs, Box2=Clothes & TV, Box3 = paintings, Box4=Games, etc. Anything not boxed write that down too, as in 1xbed frame, 1xmattress, 1xsofa.
Read the AQIS website, if it says "careful" (Eg Hoovers) etc then they mean it. We didnt pay any etra steam cleaning etc but other shave had to.
Clean everything - not a spot of mud/dirt/dust from the UK is welcome here. (They have enough of their own thanks).
Print out a letter with to "blank" and date blank.. saying... I confirm that this inventory ( then your inventory) are personal effects and are all used or owned by me. Bring it with you and prepare to have to give it to shipping agent here.
You can buy Sofa Bags from removal comapnys for about 7 quid. They are big jiffy bags that slip over sofas, open at one end (bottom) and protect sofa from getting damp

When your container arrives at your house for loading. Step inside it and get hem to lock you in - if you can see ANY daylight then its leaking and you reject it politely and ask for a new one or you face wet stuff at other end. Containers get SOAKED !! they are supposed to be odor-free and air-tight.

Wehn you ask for a container make sure they know its for personal effects, it should be odor free, and air-tight(duh!).

Inside the container are anchor poitns for ropes to secure stuff. go to b and q and buy 40-50 meters of rope (we kept going back to get more!).

You r container will be outside ytour house for limited time -= make sure you are READY and packed in advance. They are restricted by highways rules and also by driver time they will be less than amused at turning up and you not ready. You can always ask driver to go away for a few hours more if hes amenable he might get a mate to come and pick it up.

A 20 ft container is cavernous, I defy anyone who lives in a normal ( ie not on 'acreage' house in UK to fill one.
Hi Spalen, which company did you use?
We have decided to leave the car-to much hassle and expense, so we're just looking at taking our household things.
Thanks in advance,
Marie
Old May 11th 2005, 10:32 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

OOCL did the shipping UK->BNE (faultless)

A ccompany here called Global Logistics Management did the ground work in brissy but I cant recommend them. Dont get me wrong they did the job but I thought it was expensive and they were less than customer focused.

$250 their fees
$500 some 3rd party company unpacked the container, but 500$ is flat rate for a 20ft container full of stuff, ours was 15% full!.
$280 to move the conaitner in the port (again I think this is flat so tough)
$340 to deliver the contents loose, I would insist on using Mini Movers if doing it again, their company were fork lift movers who didnt want to be moving our boxs of toys/beds/etc.
Plus some standard Aqis fees.

Ive had more phone calls from them to chase me for paying them than I did through the whole process - and we're not late on the invoice!. Ive let them know what I thought of them ;-)

If you do use them - make sure you prepare to pay the $500 and ensure they use someone oither than their normal delivery company. They also were'nt that good at arranging Aqis inspections etc and I reckon they delayed my stuff by about 7-10 days because of that.

After arguing I got this down to $1900 ni total. But Ireckong the $500 was a total rip off.
Old May 12th 2005, 7:07 am
GC family day carer

Thanks for the info Spalen, karma sent.
Marie
Old May 19th 2005, 7:40 pm
GC family day carer

Right, we've now had a quote from Freightworld (local company) and have quoted £2145, that includes them bringing us the container, 3 hours for us to load it. all charges this end, quarantine clearance in Oz and delivery to an address 30 mins from Brisbane with 1 and a half hours for us to unload. The only additional charge I can see is whatever AQIS decide to charge us if anything requires treatment or whatever.
They will also provide small and medium boxes free with other boxes at a discounted rate..ie..settee covers, mattress covers...
Doen't sound bad but am going to get a couple more quotes. This was for a sole use 20ft container and so far we've not got them to give us an insurance quote.
Marie
Old May 19th 2005, 9:53 pm
ah-beng

Right, we've now had a quote from Freightworld (local company) and have quoted £2145, that includes them bringing us the container, 3 hours for us to load it. all charges this end, quarantine clearance in Oz and delivery to an address 30 mins from Brisbane with 1 and a half hours for us to unload. The only additional charge I can see is whatever AQIS decide to charge us if anything requires treatment or whatever.
They will also provide small and medium boxes free with other boxes at a discounted rate..ie..settee covers, mattress covers...
Doen't sound bad but am going to get a couple more quotes. This was for a sole use 20ft container and so far we've not got them to give us an insurance quote.
Marie
Hey that sounds good - PM Me your email address and I'll email you a copy of our invoice for the Brisbane charges then you can ask them explicitly if they include these things... ;-)
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:12 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen

- 120$ AQIS FEes
- 250$ Agents fee

Tips:

Great information. This seems very temping to go it alone. I realise that there has been loads written but anyone any up-to-date comments on some DIY Shipping. (I will continue searching for MrMovers comments meantime).

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.