Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why Are NZ Prison Service Recruiting UK Prison Officers?

Why Are NZ Prison Service Recruiting UK Prison Officers?

Old May 2nd 2005, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future
Default Why Are NZ Prison Service Recruiting UK Prison Officers?

Could anyone in NZ tell me why NZ corrections services are recruiting prison officers in the UK. Can they not get enough people in NZ to do the job or is the job not so attractive to their NZ population.

I'm sceptical on this one as Australia won't even give us British a look in their service?
Old May 2nd 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

hippyhattie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why Are NZ Prison Service Recruiting UK Prison Officers?

Originally Posted by ranbysue
Could anyone in NZ tell me why NZ corrections services are recruiting prison officers in the UK. Can they not get enough people in NZ to do the job or is the job not so attractive to their NZ population.

I'm sceptical on this one as Australia won't even give us British a look in their service?
Hi

My hubby is also a prison officer and we are considering the move to NZ...i do know that a few uk prison officers have applied but then not taken their application any further due to the low wages...i think the problem with the NZ corrections department recruiting enough New Zealanders is partly due to the low starting wage which is less than the average NZ wage.

For us it is about a different lifestyle for our children and we're lucky in that I have family in NZ but it is still a huge decision and we haven't definitely decided yet(hubby hasn't actually been offered a job yet anyway )
whilst house prices seem alot cheaper than the uk that is ok if you have enough equity in your house in the UK to buy another property in NZ..NZ interest rates are higher than in UK and food prices seem similar...still as I said earlier its about the lifestyle our children could have..being allowed to be children and having the freedom they couldn't have here.

Laura
Old May 3rd 2005, 12:27 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Be aware that they are also recruiting heavily in Samoa, and not that many Samoans are keen, so...

It might be a good way into the country, but I doubt there are good career prospects. Of course if National win the election, there will be more prisons, so who knows.

It's a fabulous place to bring up kids though.
Old May 5th 2005, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
Be aware that they are also recruiting heavily in Samoa, and not that many Samoans are keen, so...

It might be a good way into the country, but I doubt there are good career prospects. Of course if National win the election, there will be more prisons, so who knows.

It's a fabulous place to bring up kids though.
Hi Simon

Thanks for replyng

Do you work for the corrections service yourself and I wonder if you could answer a few questions at all.

1 What is NZ health service like and are there waiting lists if you need to use the service?

2 What is crime like in NZ and how do authorities deal with it?

3 Do you have an illegal immigrant problem? Do they get state benefits

4 Do you have to pay towards schooling - if so how much?

5 What is average house prices for a three bed detached property in a good area?

6 How much is the average car?

7 Do you have good amenities on hand ie supermarkets where you can obtain all shopping i.e fruit and meat under one roof?

8 Can you go out on streets in a city at night on your own without the fear of being mugged?

9 Is NZ isolated with regards to distance from rest of world except Australia?

I would be so grateful if you could drop me a line about these things and also let me know if you think $36000 plus me looking for an adult teaching post would be enough to live on in NZ?

Who are the National party and what do they stand for? Are they PC?

Thanks Suzanne
Old May 6th 2005, 2:08 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Hi Suzanne

Do you work for the corrections service yourself and I wonder if you could answer a few questions at all.

No, I don't. I don't know much about it either, and unfortunately I don't know anybody that works for them.

1 What is NZ health service like and are there waiting lists if you need to use the service?

Personally I have found it good. I recently had a knee reconstruction as a result of an accident, and from diagnosis to surgery took about four weeks. My only costs were my GP appointment, and that was subsidised. The operation was carried out in a private hospital (very plush). There are differences to the UK- you pay for GP visits here, and this normally runs between $40-60 depending on your local surgery. However, you don't pay National Insurance here, so many will find it cheaper in NZ. Prescriptions are subsidised so you pay a similar amount to the UK.

As NZ healthcare has tended to follow the American system more in recent years, you will find a lot of private clinics around. Facilities tend to be good - my little town has a dedicated X-ray clinic, orthopaedics, and several other specialities.

Having said all that, if you make your home somewhere like the West Coast of the South Island, you will find facilities a little more sparse (to say the least). Stick to urban areas and you will be fine.

We certainly have some. The police and court systems here are similar to the UK (as they were all originally direct copies of the mother land). Opinions will vary on this one, but I did quite a lot of research for another thread ("NZ- Scary story or what", a month or two back now), and my findings were that crime is less severe and less widespread than in the UK. There are stats to back this up (see that thread), but you would have to do some serious research to get the true picture. You can find a lot of info on the websites for the Dept of Justice, Police, and Internal Affairs (www.dia.govt.nz, www.justice.govt.nz, www.police.govt.nz).

Having lived in the UK for sixteen years before returning to NZ, my overall view is that crime is less of a problem here, and I certainly feel my kids are a lot safer.

Our main problem is overstayers from the islands - NZ is a hard country to sneak into geographically - not like the UK. Those who are registered as refugees can get some benefits. Illegal aliens are not entitled to benefits of any sort. It isn't a big problem.

Schools ask for a "voluntary contribution", which isn't actually voluntary, but is called that to avoid it being taxed. Last year I paid a total of $170 for two boys in primary school (about 65 pounds). There are no other costs, other than the usual stuff for trips, special events etc.

5 What is average house prices for a three bed detached property in a good area?

Ha! The subject of enormous debate on this forum. All depends on what you call a good area. But let me quote you an average:
---------------------------------------
Mixed messages with house prices: REINZ
The New Zealand residential property market began 2005 quietly with an increased national median selling price but with falls in some areas and a significant reduction in sales.

Monday, 21 February 2005

Notwithstanding, the national median selling price hit a new record of $265,000 in January, compared with the December median of $260,000.

Real Estate Institute president Howard Morley said that the key indicators for the market: sales volume, regional rises and falls, and days-to-sell, suggested a degree of caution on the part of both buyers and sellers.

Turnover was down to 7,078 sales in January compared with 8,377 in December and 8,404 in January 2004, with four of the eleven regions reporting reduced median prices while the remaining seven showed modest increases.

Days to sell lengthened noticeably from 29 in December to 38 in January, compared with 32 in the previous corresponding period of January 2004.

“What we have is evidence of a shortage of listings, coupled with vendors showing a degree of determination on price. January is always one of the quieter months and it will be another month or two before we see a trend for the rest of the year,” Mr Morley said.
- from http://property.goodreturns.co.nz/

The best thing for you to do is check out www.open2view.com and just find houses you like the look of. Houses tend to be a lot bigger here than in the UK, with more land attached to them. Some are made of wood, but anything built recently will be made of low-maintenance materials such as aluminium and fibrolite (looks like wood, but isn't).

You will hear all sorts of scare stories about damp/cold/leaky houses. Most of it is complete nonsense. Houses here do not tend to be centrally heated or have double glazing, as the climate is generally a lot milder than the UK (unless you choose to live at the bottom of the South Island). However, central heating is readily available in forms far more efficient than traditional hot water radiators, and power is considerably cheaper here. Houses are insulated to the same standard as UK houses, if they have been built in the last thirty years or so.

Bottom line - if you want to be toasty warm, you need to consider installing central heating if the house you buy doesn't have it.

Best bet is to find the same car you currently have on Trademe (www.trademe.co.nz). Cars are very cheap, and Jap imports (ie most of the cars on the road) tend to be of good quality. In the UK I was driving a BMW 535 and a Triumph Stag. I miss the Stag, but my Nissan Skyline is a much better car than my Beemer was (and I know my cars).

7 Do you have good amenities on hand ie supermarkets where you can obtain all shopping i.e fruit and meat under one roof?

Again, opinions here will vary. I live in a small town, we have a local Pak'n'Save which has everything we need, is cheap, and is open late. It has stuff you won't find in a UK supermarket (for example, live shellfish). There is a Woolworths (supermarket, not like the UK Woolies) down the road that is huge (as big as a large Asda), and is open 24 hours. It sells fruit, veges, TV's, hardware, you name it. I find the shopping here to be as good as we had in the UK, but you will find some expats here who disagree.

8 Can you go out on streets in a city at night on your own without the fear of being mugged?

Where I live- sure, no problem. In South Auckland, no, I wouldn't advise it! Generally, you are a lot safer on the streets here than in the UK (and statistics back this up), but as with any country, there are scumbags about and you just have to be sensible. You are generally pretty safe in the central city, I have never had a problem - plenty of cops about.

Yes - physically, the nearest place (Australia) is 1000 miles away, as are the Pacific Islands. Have a look at an atlas - we are a long way from places like the USA or Hong Kong. Of course it really just comes down to a few hours on an aircraft, but we are isolated.

I would be so grateful if you could drop me a line about these things and also let me know if you think $36000 plus me looking for an adult teaching post would be enough to live on in NZ?

You should be OK on your combined salary, but you have to do your homework carefully. Are you bringing any money from the UK (like the sale proceeds of a house for example)? It all comes down to where you want to live, and how lavish your lifestyle is. 36K is not a lot of money in NZ, I would say you need to be earning at least 70K to be comfortable (which it sounds like you will be with both of you working). NZ is an entrepreneurial place - my advice would be to come here for the prison service job, and then do something else once your contractual obligations ar met. A good friend of mine used to work as a parole officer - he went and got himself a degree, and is now a counsellor in the social work sector, earning piles of money. NZ rewards people who want to get ahead and have a little bit of "get up and go" about them (which is why some expats don't like it here).

The National party are pretty much like the Conservatives (except they are better looking!). They are anti-PC. Labour are the PC ones here. Have a look at www.national.org.nz for more info.

--- phew!---
Old May 6th 2005, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Hi Suzanne

No, I don't. I don't know much about it either, and unfortunately I don't know anybody that works for them.

Personally I have found it good. I recently had a knee reconstruction as a result of an accident, and from diagnosis to surgery took about four weeks. My only costs were my GP appointment, and that was subsidised. The operation was carried out in a private hospital (very plush). There are differences to the UK- you pay for GP visits here, and this normally runs between $40-60 depending on your local surgery. However, you don't pay National Insurance here, so many will find it cheaper in NZ. Prescriptions are subsidised so you pay a similar amount to the UK.

As NZ healthcare has tended to follow the American system more in recent years, you will find a lot of private clinics around. Facilities tend to be good - my little town has a dedicated X-ray clinic, orthopaedics, and several other specialities.

Having said all that, if you make your home somewhere like the West Coast of the South Island, you will find facilities a little more sparse (to say the least). Stick to urban areas and you will be fine.

We certainly have some. The police and court systems here are similar to the UK (as they were all originally direct copies of the mother land). Opinions will vary on this one, but I did quite a lot of research for another thread ("NZ- Scary story or what", a month or two back now), and my findings were that crime is less severe and less widespread than in the UK. There are stats to back this up (see that thread), but you would have to do some serious research to get the true picture. You can find a lot of info on the websites for the Dept of Justice, Police, and Internal Affairs (www.dia.govt.nz, www.justice.govt.nz, www.police.govt.nz).

Having lived in the UK for sixteen years before returning to NZ, my overall view is that crime is less of a problem here, and I certainly feel my kids are a lot safer.

Our main problem is overstayers from the islands - NZ is a hard country to sneak into geographically - not like the UK. Those who are registered as refugees can get some benefits. Illegal aliens are not entitled to benefits of any sort. It isn't a big problem.

Schools ask for a "voluntary contribution", which isn't actually voluntary, but is called that to avoid it being taxed. Last year I paid a total of $170 for two boys in primary school (about 65 pounds). There are no other costs, other than the usual stuff for trips, special events etc.

Ha! The subject of enormous debate on this forum. All depends on what you call a good area. But let me quote you an average:
The New Zealand residential property market began 2005 quietly with an increased national median selling price but with falls in some areas and a significant reduction in sales.

Monday, 21 February 2005

Notwithstanding, the national median selling price hit a new record of $265,000 in January, compared with the December median of $260,000.

Real Estate Institute president Howard Morley said that the key indicators for the market: sales volume, regional rises and falls, and days-to-sell, suggested a degree of caution on the part of both buyers and sellers.

Turnover was down to 7,078 sales in January compared with 8,377 in December and 8,404 in January 2004, with four of the eleven regions reporting reduced median prices while the remaining seven showed modest increases.

Days to sell lengthened noticeably from 29 in December to 38 in January, compared with 32 in the previous corresponding period of January 2004.

“What we have is evidence of a shortage of listings, coupled with vendors showing a degree of determination on price. January is always one of the quieter months and it will be another month or two before we see a trend for the rest of the year,” Mr Morley said.

The best thing for you to do is check out www.open2view.com and just find houses you like the look of. Houses tend to be a lot bigger here than in the UK, with more land attached to them. Some are made of wood, but anything built recently will be made of low-maintenance materials such as aluminium and fibrolite (looks like wood, but isn't).

You will hear all sorts of scare stories about damp/cold/leaky houses. Most of it is complete nonsense. Houses here do not tend to be centrally heated or have double glazing, as the climate is generally a lot milder than the UK (unless you choose to live at the bottom of the South Island). However, central heating is readily available in forms far more efficient than traditional hot water radiators, and power is considerably cheaper here. Houses are insulated to the same standard as UK houses, if they have been built in the last thirty years or so.

Bottom line - if you want to be toasty warm, you need to consider installing central heating if the house you buy doesn't have it.

Best bet is to find the same car you currently have on Trademe (www.trademe.co.nz). Cars are very cheap, and Jap imports (ie most of the cars on the road) tend to be of good quality. In the UK I was driving a BMW 535 and a Triumph Stag. I miss the Stag, but my Nissan Skyline is a much better car than my Beemer was (and I know my cars).

Again, opinions here will vary. I live in a small town, we have a local Pak'n'Save which has everything we need, is cheap, and is open late. It has stuff you won't find in a UK supermarket (for example, live shellfish). There is a Woolworths (supermarket, not like the UK Woolies) down the road that is huge (as big as a large Asda), and is open 24 hours. It sells fruit, veges, TV's, hardware, you name it. I find the shopping here to be as good as we had in the UK, but you will find some expats here who disagree.

Where I live- sure, no problem. In South Auckland, no, I wouldn't advise it! Generally, you are a lot safer on the streets here than in the UK (and statistics back this up), but as with any country, there are scumbags about and you just have to be sensible. You are generally pretty safe in the central city, I have never had a problem - plenty of cops about.

Yes - physically, the nearest place (Australia) is 1000 miles away, as are the Pacific Islands. Have a look at an atlas - we are a long way from places like the USA or Hong Kong. Of course it really just comes down to a few hours on an aircraft, but we are isolated.

You should be OK on your combined salary, but you have to do your homework carefully. Are you bringing any money from the UK (like the sale proceeds of a house for example)? It all comes down to where you want to live, and how lavish your lifestyle is. 36K is not a lot of money in NZ, I would say you need to be earning at least 70K to be comfortable (which it sounds like you will be with both of you working). NZ is an entrepreneurial place - my advice would be to come here for the prison service job, and then do something else once your contractual obligations ar met. A good friend of mine used to work as a parole officer - he went and got himself a degree, and is now a counsellor in the social work sector, earning piles of money. NZ rewards people who want to get ahead and have a little bit of "get up and go" about them (which is why some expats don't like it here).

The National party are pretty much like the Conservatives (except they are better looking!). They are anti-PC. Labour are the PC ones here. Have a look at www.national.org.nz for more info.

--- phew!---

Great Post KiwijetPilot,
Old May 6th 2005, 3:56 am
Just Joined

POM IN NZ has a brilliant futurePOM IN NZ has a brilliant futurePOM IN NZ has a brilliant futurePOM IN NZ has a brilliant futurePOM IN NZ has a brilliant futurePOM IN NZ has a brilliant future

Wow, Kiwijetpilot,
That was a terrific reply.
People are lucky to have you taking the time and effort to write such well informed and useful posts.
My respect to you, sir.

Slighty off topic. I went to hear Winston Peters recently who had plenty to say about crime, how many cataract operations could we have done for the legal aid bill for latest immigration appeals?, 'third world wages', etc etc.
You have to like the man even if he would apparently send immigrants like me back home again!

PINZ
Old May 6th 2005, 4:46 am
Banned

Yeah I like Winston, he has the right idea although he can be a bit extreme at times. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him embarrass Helen over the last week or so!

I don't think he minds the Brits so much, but he really has a bee in his bonnet about the Asians. He sees them as a real threat to Maoridom.

So hows the election going... teflon Tony back in is he?
Old May 6th 2005, 5:08 am
Just Joined

POM IN NZ has a brilliant futurePOM IN NZ has a brilliant futurePOM IN NZ has a brilliant futurePOM IN NZ has a brilliant futurePOM IN NZ has a brilliant futurePOM IN NZ has a brilliant future

Yeah I like Winston, he has the right idea although he can be a bit extreme at times. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him embarrass Helen over the last week or so!

I don't think he minds the Brits so much, but he really has a bee in his bonnet about the Asians. He sees them as a real threat to Maoridom.

Go on then. I will bite. Even though I think I might regret this.

Yes Tony is back in with a reduced majority.

My prediction, (which is no more valid than anyone else's). Tony Blair is now damaged goods and will be seen as walking wounded. He won't be leader by Christmas.
People will also soon see why he cut and ran the election a year earlier than he needed to. First the tax increases, then the recession, then the collapse of the house price bubble. Goodbye feelgood factor. Hello old friend, boom and bust.
The elctorate have been bribed with their own money. Collectively they owe nearly a trillion pounds in personal debt.
That all has to be repaid. Loans are not the free dinner that some people assume they are. There is a lot of economic pain coming along soon.

All of course, IMHO and I respect the fact that many people will not agree with my analysis. Time will tell.
Old May 6th 2005, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

Yep!!! Hoooray!! The E-ed up, grinning Cheshire cat is back on top again!! However, it's time for him to step down and let Gordon Brown do the job properly. Anyway, Tony looks knackered-he needs a long holiday.
Old May 6th 2005, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by POM IN NZ
Go on then. I will bite. Even though I think I might regret this.

Yes Tony is back in with a reduced majority.

My prediction, (which is no more valid than anyone else's). Tony Blair is now damaged goods and will be seen as walking wounded. He won't be leader by Christmas.
People will also soon see why he cut and ran the election a year earlier than he needed to. First the tax increases, then the recession, then the collapse of the house price bubble. Goodbye feelgood factor. Hello old friend, boom and bust.
The elctorate have been bribed with their own money. Collectively they owe nearly a trillion pounds in personal debt.
That all has to be repaid. Loans are not the free dinner that some people assume they are. There is a lot of economic pain coming along soon.

All of course, IMHO and I respect the fact that many people will not agree with my analysis. Time will tell.

I agree with this. Also it doesnt help when people leaving the UK feel they have the right to leave debt behind. I am still amazed about this.
Old May 6th 2005, 5:58 am
Banned

The elctorate have been bribed with their own money.
That show is coming soon to a country near you... in fact a country under you...
Old May 6th 2005, 9:46 am
Damages

[
QUOTE=kiwijetpilot]Hi Suzanne

Monday, 21 February 2005

--- phew!---
[/QUOTE]

Excellent post Simon you're really on form. Tried to send you some karma (I believe that's called doinking?) but need to spread it around first.

Phyllis

Old May 6th 2005, 9:48 am
Damages

Re: Tony the Cheshire Cat. Our local Blairite disciple got back in (BOO!) but glad to see the smug Oona King being booted out of Bethnal Green and Bow by the Respect guy George Galloway

Old May 6th 2005, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Damages
Re: Tony the Cheshire Cat. Our local Blairite disciple got back in (BOO!) but glad to see the smug Oona King being booted out of Bethnal Green and Bow by the Respect guy George Galloway
Blimey, that was a turn up for the books eh? George Galloway is a true cat amongst the pigeons and I love the fact he is such a loose cannon! Actually, watching the PM tonight-he didn't look particularly Colgate bright white smiley. Definately time for a long holiday...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.