Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to leave, what to bring?!!!

What to leave, what to bring?!!!

Old Apr 24th 2005, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold
Default What to leave, what to bring?!!!

Hi, me again! In the throes of making lists of what to leave, what to bring and curious to know what people already having made the move either regret leaving behind after all or packing in the first place? Your replies may help my streamlining process!!!! Thanks.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to leave, what to bring?!!!

We regret not bringing more - work paid for a container and with hindsight we could have got much more in it at no extra cost. Don't be put off by electical goods as you can but voltage converters reasonably - its just TV and DVD that you need to think twice about. Just remember though that so many things are cheaper over here it isn't hard to replace.

I would bring things to remind you of home - pictures and ornaments etc - that helped us feel at home.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:12 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
We regret not bringing more - work paid for a container and with hindsight we could have got much more in it at no extra cost.
Yeah, but will they pay for your container back?

For me there are only three types of things worth bringing:
1. Things that can't be found in the US. I don't think there's much in the non-perishable sub-category (although if you're going somewhere full of Brits, a container full of Heinz beans might pay the bills for a year or two. hehe!). Your music collection might be one. Duvets are surprisingly hard to find over here, but note that the bed sizes are different.
2. Stuff of very high quality. Cheap goods are very cheap in the US, but quality goods are outrageously expensive.
3. Sentimental stuff. But leave the clutter behind. You're starting new. It would behoove you to get a pragmatist's opinion on your state of clutter.

And don't worry too much about stuff. I came here with a one-way ticket and two suitcases. Everything worked out fine.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britnyank
Hi, me again! In the throes of making lists of what to leave, what to bring and curious to know what people already having made the move either regret leaving behind after all or packing in the first place? Your replies may help my streamlining process!!!! Thanks.
Bring stacks of tea!! Light, inexpensive, and unavailable in the US, generally speaking (at least at a resaonable price!).

A lot depends on who's paying. If work is paying, then if in doubt, bring it (unless it's huge and/or heavy and may become a burden).

Definitely reminders of home - pictures, souvenirs, etc. Bring calendars with UK scenes, etc.

A lot also depends on how long you intend being here. If it's a fixed, short-term contract and you're sure you'll go back, then bring less. I brought old school yearbooks, and things like that. In hindsight, they're heavy and have not left the box I packed them in since I arrived.

Bring DVD collections of UK TV shows and movies - you can get a cheap DVD player and hack it to play UK DVD's.

Any UK-specific products (from places like Boots, M&S, etc.) that you can't get here.

Curry mixes (depends on where you will live, but here in eastern NC, can't get a decent curry mix)

Don't bring your skimpy shorts or Speedo swimsuits - people in the US will laugh at you wearing them. I only have to say the word Speedos in class and my students collapse in fits of giggles. Quite strange really.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What might be handy...decent curtains and decent duvets because there hard to find here, they like shite blinds or thin curtains and lots of quilts...but then that'll depend on where you move to, but be worth bringing.

Not worth bringing electricals really, unless you've got quality stereo system, as it'll be cheaper to just get new stuff...yes you can get convertors, but decent ones aren't cheap, and you'll need decent one's to run stuff every day.

As for furniture, bring your beds, decent beds are outrageously expensive over here, and the cheap ones aren't cheap, but they are crap....other furniture, only worth bringing if it's quality stuff.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Passport, credit cards, certificates, bit of money, pack of Rothmans, lighter, change of underwear, sense of humour.

That's about it really.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Passport, credit cards, certificates, bit of money, pack of Rothmans, lighter, change of underwear, sense of humour.
Rothmans...nasty...but you can't get 'em here so why not *l*

Oh, what might be worth doing, if your really into newspapers and magazines would be to set up international subscriptions because the US versions are utterly shite...well Stuff, FHM, and any other Design mag like Design weekly, which you can't get here, and Computer Arts mags, any of those mags, cheaper to get a subscription than to buy over here, thats if you can find them over here.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:05 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I bought most of my furniture and am really pleased I did. The only things I left (aside from electrics) were my beds which killed my back and my sofas.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:26 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

I bought the wife and left the in-laws

Where are you moving to ? If it's Atlanta we have so much British food, Indian Restaurants now (not bad) and Irish Pubs (English Breakfast). You can order all the foods on line (bacon, sausages). The farmers market sell beans and 60 pence a pop and tons of sweets, crisps etc., as well as boddingtons, Guiness, stout etc.,

You could get a good sparky to wire you up a British plug socket (near the Oven which already carries 220v) then you can being your Kettle (else expect it to take twice as long to boil ).

Quilt covers - they don't have that concept here. You have a fancy quilt over a sheet - weird !!

Mum deodrant (my wife says it's the best !!!).

Bring your sense of humor - your going to need it and get pretty lonely without it.

Suet Pudding if you like Stew and Dumplings. (Suet - they never heard of )..

Tis all for now, safe travels....
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:30 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

That's about it really.
They won't let you bring your lighter on the plane anymore though. Zippo is going mad http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=444919&rfi=6
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
They won't let you bring your lighter on the plane anymore though. Zippo is going mad http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=444919&rfi=6
Sheise! In a word or two: they're effing paranoid!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

We regret bringing voltage converters - total crap and therefore we also regret bringing English lamps ! we never left a thing in the UK as work paid - there are still Pickfords boxes fully wrapped in out garage nearly one year later !
just don't bother bringing a single UK electrical item its all so cheap here..
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:38 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Sheise! In a word or two: they're effing paranoid!
Absolutely!

You can check a gun, brass knuckles or pepper spray but not a cigarette lighter
http://www.tennessean.com/local/arch...nt_ID=68222144

What were they thinking?

You can still carry-on a set of knitting needles. I bet I could do some damage with those
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ScousePete
can still buy 'em on most of the planes though...so well ******* stupid..
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

My main regret is leaving behind some framed posters and prints which I thought I could replace easily - and found I can't. I wish I'd brought a bigger supply of favourite toiletries, makeup, painkillers and odds and ends from Boots, to tide me over until I found alternatives here. I'm still looking for good alternatives for most , after 5 months.
Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.