Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

phone calls to the UK

phone calls to the UK

Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

bobbyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default phone calls to the UK

ok ... random question... anyone know of a good calling card for cheap phone calls to the UK from the US? being ripped off by maintenance fees etc at the moment... Thanks!
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: phone calls to the UK

I use an MCI card that I get from Costco for $20. Usually gives me about 3 hours of talk time.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:51 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

OneSuite.com.

Just set up an account and top it up whenever you need it. No connection charges. Rates are currently 3.4c per minute to the UK.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyk
ok ... random question... anyone know of a good calling card for cheap phone calls to the UK from the US? being ripped off by maintenance fees etc at the moment... Thanks!
There was a thread about this very subject yesterday. See-
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297189

I used calling cards for a few months but I found they have drawbacks:
expiration date
connection fee (on some)
minimum calling charge (inconvenient if you happen to get an answering machine or busy signal from the no. you're calling)
long connection phone no. to dial

NC Penguin
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
I have an Mobile phone with AT&T that lets me call the UK for 6 cents a minute! I did the phone card thing but it was very expensive. You might want to check around and get rates on International calling plans from your house phone or a cell phone. I know my husband could have added the UK to his Cingular account for 14 cents a minute but I already had such a deal on mine so he uses mine.
For the amount of calls I make, the card suits my needs ok. My parents and I rotate weeks to call and my brother and his family are usually there when they call me. Most of my friends keep in email contact, so that helps. I think its 4 cents a minute with the MCI card.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got cable broadband, consider kicking out the local telco company altogether and going VoIP. Then enjoy calls to the UK @ 0 cents/min. No good from a hotel, of course!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:39 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Da' Penguin mentioned the thread from yesterday, but at the risk of repeating myself:

www.ibuyphonecard.com

The one I have allows calls for 0.9 cents! Calls are rounded to 3 mins, but given that my calls are usually much longer this isnt much of a problem.

The website offers comparisons on numerous card companies
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you've got cable broadband, consider kicking out the local telco company altogether and going VoIP. Then enjoy calls to the UK @ 0 cents/min. No good from a hotel, of course!
Yup, Lingo ain't bad...and then there's always Skype and a few other voip services to consider.
There's also that mobile phone card jobby, that works out pretty cheap if you have a lot of minutes on a mobile phone...can't remember the name, but it's on a couple of the threads about cheap calls...I think there based out of NY.

and this one ain't bad: http://www.pennytalk.com/
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

www.skype.com
We have been useing this since we came over to Florida in November.
We have found them great.
Free calls computer to computer.
2 cents a min calls,
and 20 cents cells.
Redlobster
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

www.pinzoo.com
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:35 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

MCI calling card is free if you sign up to MCI long distance for home.

5.5c to the UK (after the free blockbuster vouchers).

Can use from anywhere in the USA to call UK for 5.5c

Can use from the UK to call anywhere in the USA for 5.5c

(You can give your family in the UK the 0800 number and pin to call you and YOu get the bill.)

All billed to your home MCI long distance bill.

No card fees or expriy.

Works for us. No catches, good company, reliable and works every time.

I was in the UK a few weeks back and called their 0800 number and dialled my pin and wifes cell phone number. A month later, there was my long distance bill show those calls did indeed costs 7c.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

We use Skype and also have a Sprint International Phone Card which gives 120 mins for $10. You can buy them from any Radio Shack.

Once we move out of the corporate flat in a couple of weeks we are planning on changing to use onesuite as well.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

ash2005 will become famous soon enough

You can use incoming call forwarding feature for forwarding your calls from hotel to your designated phone # in UK.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ash2005
You can use incoming call forwarding feature for forwarding your calls from hotel to your designated phone # in UK.

There's a thought! Clever!

Also, some provide a soft phone -- Vonage for one. I have no experience of this, though.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:30 am
Just Joined

ash2005 will become famous soon enough

There's a thought! Clever!

Also, some provide a soft phone -- Vonage for one. I have no experience of this, though.
We are using Lingo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.