Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Train to be an Electrician on a Student Visa

Train to be an Electrician on a Student Visa

Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

kroeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Train to be an Electrician on a Student Visa

Hi,

Would it be possible to train in Australia as an Electrician on a Student Visa, and to then apply for Permanent Residency once qualified.

I am presently 39 years old and married with three children, I could support ourselves for two years from proceeds of house sale and hopefully working up to 20 hours per week in Australia while training.

Could anyone in this trade please advise me of some suitable courses for a General Electrician, and what the procedure for qualification is in Australia.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:49 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Train to be an Electrician on a Student Visa

Originally Posted by kroeger
Hi,

Would it be possible to train in Australia as an Electrician on a Student Visa, and to then apply for Permanent Residency once qualified.

I am presently 39 years old and married with three children, I could support ourselves for two years from proceeds of house sale and hopefully working up to 20 hours per week in Australia while training.

Could anyone in this trade please advise me of some suitable courses for a General Electrician, and what the procedure for qualification is in Australia.

Thanks in advance.
Ooooo now theres an idea, BUT if you are gonna do that may I suggest you study Air Con and refridgeration.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paulf
Ooooo now theres an idea, BUT if you are gonna do that may I suggest you study Air Con and refridgeration.
Now there is a good idea, any links for suitable courses, also would I be able to take my family with me on a student visa?
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:25 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Now there is a good idea, any links for suitable courses, also would I be able to take my family with me on a student visa?

Not sure how much you have looked into this option. I looked briefly myself. Having children of my own i found out that you have to pay for their tution, and all medical fees, whilst on a student visa. This could be quite costly, however if i am wrong i am sure someone will correct me,
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:06 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Hi, Have a look at the CRICOS website

http://cricos.detya.gov.au/

To see if you can find the course. It might take a while as a search for 'Electrician' brings back nothing. If you search for Mechanic, it also brings back nothing, but Automotive does.

As to applying for PR after, well yes you can.

You'll need to obtain a minimum of a Cert III, study for 2 a min of 2 years, and from July this year (the tricky bit!) obtain at least 900 hours 'relevant' work experience to get past the TRA.

This work experience CANNOT be part of your course, HAS to be paid (min award wages), and checkable by the ATO (Aus Tax Office).

This is all obviously 'as we speak' and anything is liable to change!

Tall order, and many say impossible!

I was gonna do a Cert III in Automotive to work as a Mechanic and apply for PR after, but the general consensus was I would struggle to find suitable work

I have no other route into Oz but study, so will at least try! I'm awaiting a reply from a Hairdressing school in Oz which MIGHT be getting confirmation from the TRA soon that their course will satisfy them, WITHOUT any extra experience. The schools argument is that ALL students will have over 1700 hours on the floor experience by the time they finish the course! If the school shows me proof the TRA will accept it, then that's where I'll go!

I looked into a Degree in Accounting also as with the right Degree, you will auto qualify without any need for work experience, but a Degree isn't to be taken lightly so would prob be too risky for me.

Hope that helps, and good luck with what you do!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:59 am
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Train to be an Electrician on a Student Visa

Originally Posted by Jim2004
I have no other route into Oz but study, so will at least try!
Hey Jim

GO FOR IT..!!!!! You ought to be proud of your "whatever it takes" attitude... this sort of thinking goes down really well in Oz.

Make sure everything stacks up, and if it does, don't let anything stop you. Don't let anyone steal your dream - you know it will be worth it in the end!!!

Stay focused and keep positive... and let us all know how you get on.

God bless you mate.
RT.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:30 am
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

PS.... don't know if this may be of any help, but I've just seen that Senator Amanda Vanstone (minister for immigration) has released the figures for 2005-2006 and there's a new category described like this,
"A pilot program will be introduced to allow overseas students to undertake traditional trade apprenticeships in regional Australia on a full fee paying basis, and on completion of these, to apply for migration under one of the regional migration visas". The link to the media release is: http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/med...ia05/v05052.htm

Good luck. RT.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:22 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rogue Trader
Hey Jim

GO FOR IT..!!!!! You ought to be proud of your "whatever it takes" attitude... this sort of thinking goes down really well in Oz.

Make sure everything stacks up, and if it does, don't let anything stop you. Don't let anyone steal your dream - you know it will be worth it in the end!!!

Stay focused and keep positive... and let us all know how you get on.

God bless you mate.
RT.
Thanks RT, appreciate your support

Yeah it's a risky risky business this 'Study to PR' route, but for fear of keep repeating myself, It's my ONLY route, and WILL go for it!

All I can do is hopefully be on top of it all much as I can be, and pray nothing major changes while I'm out there which totally stops me applying for PR after.

I'm not definite on WHAT I'll study, but I'll turn my hand to anything really, give anything a shot! Ok, I hope whatever I study can take me onto a new career, and live happily ever after ...lol, but to be honest I think there will always be the chance me and the family will HAVE to return after 2 years, no getting away from that one.

I'm in touch with someone out in Oz now doing this Hairdressing course and they tell me there is loads of ppl on her course (men too! ...lol) who are simply doing the course for it's so called 'decent' chance of getting PR after. I'm a bit sceptical about this course and the not needing the extra work experience like all other trades that go thru the TRA, but if it is so, then it is so!

Once I get confirmation from the school, then my direction is set. If it falls thru, then maybe Motor Mechanic is back on, or a lot more consideration about the mammoth task of doing a degree (AGHHHHHH!! ...lol)

All I want to do is take myself, partner, kids, and dog out to Oz, study there, continue to work there in this field, and live happily ever after!

Not askin a lot am I ! ...lol
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rogue Trader
PS.... don't know if this may be of any help, but I've just seen that Senator Amanda Vanstone (minister for immigration) has released the figures for 2005-2006 and there's a new category described like this,
"A pilot program will be introduced to allow overseas students to undertake traditional trade apprenticeships in regional Australia on a full fee paying basis, and on completion of these, to apply for migration under one of the regional migration visas". The link to the media release is: http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/med...ia05/v05052.htm

Good luck. RT.
Not getting much joy from this link but ta for the info, i'll try and look into it
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:31 am
Account Closed

Not getting much joy from this link but ta for the info, i'll try and look into it
Anyone interested in reading it, this worked

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...a05/v05052.htm

Interesting!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Anyone interested in reading it, this worked

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...a05/v05052.htm

Interesting!
This all looks very interesting, I have emailed the TRA people to clarify the work experience requirement in regards to the Auto Electrician study route, will let everyone know when I receive a reply.

I am also willing to learn a new trade to get PR.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

This all looks very interesting, I have emailed the TRA people to clarify the work experience requirement in regards to the Auto Electrician study route, will let everyone know when I receive a reply.

I am also willing to learn a new trade to get PR.
Not wanting to burst your bubble, but I read the future as a part time hobby, and have have a vision!

This will be your reply :

Thank you for your recent enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

TRA cannot provide advice on AQF training organisations, particular courses or how to obtain the relevant work experience.. Accordingly, you are requested to make your own independent enquiries.

Please note any replies to this email must be forwarded to [email protected] if you require the matter to be actioned.

Thank you.
TRADES RECOGNITION AUSTRALIA

I can see it now!!!!!!! ....... woooooooooooooooooooooooo !

lol, but mark these words. I'll be shocked if you get anything else back.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:18 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

its all about funds.
IF you can afford to keep yourself, a big IF there.
Then do the course and you will have no problem getting companies willing to give you unpaid work experience, and after awhile you should be able to renegotiate some expenses from them.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:21 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

A good website if you're considering study in Australia is

www.studyinaustralia.gov.au

Good Luck
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

its all about funds.
Very true to a degree, and LOTS of funds at that!!

Then do the course and you will have no problem getting companies willing to give you unpaid work experience, and after awhile you should be able to renegotiate some expenses from them.
Not too sure this is that simple.

If your referring to getting the Work Exp for the TRA for example, it has to be all above board. HAS to be paid, HAS to be a min of Award wages, and HAS to be verifiable by the ATO!

I personally think getting work experience WON'T be that hard, but others on here who at the end of the day are prob more knowledgable say differrent!

Less than 5% chance of success I was told by one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.