Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing jobs on 457 and keeping LAFHA

Changing jobs on 457 and keeping LAFHA

Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:24 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing jobs on 457 and keeping LAFHA

There's lots on here about 457 Temporary Visas at the moment so here's another Q. If I have been moved to Oz on a temp visa and get LAFHA but then manage to get another employer to sponsor my 457, am I now inelligible for LAFHA?
Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:33 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing jobs on 457 and keeping LAFHA

No clue on the question jayr, but I was just wondering if you had decided what you were going to do when your 457 was up?

Dagboy's now on a spouse visa cos his 4 year 457 was up next month, how long have you got to go on your 457? Any thoughts about PR or a permanent visa?

Just call me MrsNosey .
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:16 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the answer either but logic says yes.

You would still be on a temp visa with all those exceptional rights ! and still be living away from home.

However, does logic play a part I wonder ?
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Fastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jayr
There's lots on here about 457 Temporary Visas at the moment so here's another Q. If I have been moved to Oz on a temp visa and get LAFHA but then manage to get another employer to sponsor my 457, am I now inelligible for LAFHA?
My mate's just changed jobs on a 457, and he still get's his LAFHA. I think it's down to the employer at the end of the day. I know people who have been here for more than 4 years and qualify after changing jobs, so I would suggest that you are probably safe... May be a point for negotiation.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:53 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
No clue on the question jayr, but I was just wondering if you had decided what you were going to do when your 457 was up?

Dagboy's now on a spouse visa cos his 4 year 457 was up next month, how long have you got to go on your 457? Any thoughts about PR or a permanent visa?

Just call me MrsNosey .

I may be getting a new job and told the employer about my visa status, they were ok as they have previously sponsored temp visa people who were already in the country. My temp visa runs out late 2006 and I will use the job move opportunity to see if they'll sponsor me for PR instead - I think they might. If I did move and definitely lost LAFHA as a result I will push them hard to get me PR. I have named a salary which would mean I'd be no worse off if I do lose the LAFHA.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

tradingsnow4sun is on a distinguished road

Came to Oz last June on a 457 visa from Toronto and was eligible for and received LAFHA. Hated the job so 7 months in started looking. Gave notice at employer #1 so had 28 days to leave country because this is a condition of me terminating my sponsored Visa.

Found a new employer who would sponsor me on a 457. Used an immigration agent to get me a new 457, including a fresh 4 years.

Still eligible for LAFHA based on signing document that my principal residence is in Toronto and I'm going home in 4 years. Long story short, you are still eligible.

One word of caution re PR. If you are receiving LAFHA, the moment you apply for PR you become ineligible for LAFHA. Could be a long, poor wait without LAFHA benefits.

Good luck!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:10 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by tradingsnow4sun

Found a new employer who would sponsor me on a 457. Used an immigration agent to get me a new 457, including a fresh 4 years.

Still eligible for LAFHA based on signing document that my principal residence is in Toronto and I'm going home in 4 years. Long story short, you are still eligible.

Good luck!
Depsite thinking you are crazy for resigning before gettting another job first - thanks for the tip.

Do you know whether you're LAFHA will run for the full term of your new visa or does that run out anyway after receiving LAFHA for 4 years?