Reload this Page >

Any views on Whangarei

Any views on Whangarei

Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:37 am
Just Joined

chocolate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any views on Whangarei

Hiya,
Does anyone have any views on Whangarei. We would like to live in a small city not too far from Auckland (i.e. the airport and big city activities such as shows/concerts/shopping), but with the opportunity to enjoy the coast and it a bit of space to live in.

I'm a very keen diver and am aware of World Class diving at the Poor Knight Islands and hope to sail. We work in Healthcare so work should not be too much of a problem.

I believe it is warmer though rainier than some parts but how does that compare with the UK?
Chocolate
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:51 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any views on Whangarei

Originally Posted by chocolate
Hiya,
Does anyone have any views on Whangarei. We would like to live in a small city not too far from Auckland (i.e. the airport and big city activities such as shows/concerts/shopping), but with the opportunity to enjoy the coast and it a bit of space to live in.

I'm a very keen diver and am aware of World Class diving at the Poor Knight Islands and hope to sail. We work in Healthcare so work should not be too much of a problem.

I believe it is warmer though rainier than some parts but how does that compare with the UK?
Chocolate
Can't say I've ever been there but have heard mixed reports in the past. Basically the place is okay but a bit lagging jobswise. This may have since changed though.

Weatherwise I would say that the north of the north island is warmer than anywhere in the UK probably, but not as hot as OZ. Rain in NZ come in two types from memory: a sort of whispy drizzle that just wets your hair, or it fair buckets down.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:55 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

Chocolate
We liked that area and the town is up & coming with a pleasant developing marine area though somewhat boring (the usual low level sprawl of ugly buildings). Climate is perfect for gardening and there are plenty of delightful gardens everywhere. We were tempted to buy into a lifestyle block, ie about 10 acres plus house would set you back about NZD400K. You get a lot more for your money here rather than AKL, BOI, Warkworth coast. Good beaches within 40 minutes. AKL quite a hike and only just possible to comfortably go there and back in a day (say, airport run). It would be down to well under 3 hours one way if the motorway gets extended a bit further. BOI close-ish.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Northern Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Been living in Whangarei for 8 months, not a bad spot depending on what you want.
The town itself is nothing to write home about, plenty shops, supermarkets and most of the big name stores, some fantasic beaches and close enough to Auckland.
If you have any specific questions I will be pleased to answer them.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Hiya,

Chocolate
Hi..I live on a lifestyle block..house and 12 acres of land on the Auckland side of Whangarei.I love living in this part of New Zealand..(I have also lived in Hawkes Bay,Auckland and Napier and Hastings and Upper Hutt near Wellington)

The summers are warm and very humid ,subtropical.The winters are mild and the cold is a damp cold unlike the crisp cold of the South island or Hawkes Bay.The dampness is the only bad thing about winter.I would volunteer that Whangarei would be warmer than anywhere in the Uk generally..i lived in the Gloustershire/Bristol area for a year in 1984/1985 and travelled in the Uk in 2002 also..
The Tutukaka coast area is stunning we have some beautiful coastal and harbour beaches and we have the Poor Knights Marine reserve.
You can drive sth to the Goat Island Marine reserve at Leigh near Warkworth in 1 1/2 hrs.It is only 2 hrs to Auckland Central,2 1/2 to 3 hrs to Auckand airport depending on traffic..we did it last night in 21/2 hrs.
The city is slowly taking off ..the property prices are slowly rising..it is still an affordable place to buy a really nice property except on the coast which is really booming.
Id be happy to answer anything else that i know anything about.Im an RN but am currently at home with a small child.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

How would you compare Whangarei to Hawkes Bay. i.e attitude of the locals, cost of living, quality of life, standard of housing etc.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Roger
How would you compare Whangarei to Hawkes Bay. i.e attitude of the locals, cost of living, quality of life, standard of housing etc.
Hi Roger
I have enjoyed living in both places.for different reasons..since i have lived in both Hastings and Napier(the two main cities in the Hawkes bay only about 15 minutes by car away from each other)

The following are my opinions only..
Napier is a classier city than Whangarei.even though i like Whangarei very much.the cost of housing is almost twice that in Napier to Whangarei .Napier has sunny dry summers and when it rains it rains properly,usually in Winter for a few days or a week and then stops again for weeks..the soil is great I loved gardening there..obviously the climate is great as it is where alot of our wineries are and the Hawkes bay is called The Fruit Bowl of New Zealand. Hastings is nice too but I think it is slightly windier and colder in the winter than Napier..Havelock North is very nice..more expensive though real estate wise. Hawkes bay has some excellent schools with very good reputations.
The locals in Hawkes Bay can be a bit provincial in their attitudes but I have only encountered this from people who have mainly lived in the area and dont get to the cities much (eg Wellington and Auckland) and who have never travelled overseas.
Northland ,Whangarei being the largest city, is a poorer area of the country but its close proximity to Auckland means an easy trip by car to shop/attend cultural events,international airport to exit the country or collect visitors .The average wage last time I heard was 38,000.00 which isnt much, but alot of people including my husband actually chose to live here and work in Auckalnd.during the week..beautiful safe harbour and east coast beaches. Attitudes here in Whangarei vary depending on education,employment,etc..generally there is more unemployment in this part of the country..Good housing is available in both places according to income..if you are well off in Whangarei you can have a very nice home for almost half the price of one in Napier except maybe in the Coastal area with a sea veiw where prices might be similar now.

To sum up the cost of living is greater in the Hawkes Bay..wealthier area..a bit isolated from Auckland (which is why I moved)as most of my family live in the Auckland/Northland area) Friendly both places.
Whangarei..a wider range of income and opportunity. but the place is going ahead.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Old Apr 11th 2005, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Roger i noted AFTER i had written such a long reply that you are from HB so probably didnt want to know about the weather so much as you know perfectly well how it is.?..have you been to Whangarei?
Best Wishes
Shazzafrom NZ
Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
I live in Havelock North which is a great place. Really enjoyed the Summer this year but must say that I was becoming a bit sick off the brown hills etc. Liked Northland when we were up in February as it was still lush. We live up the hill in HN and our Winters are typified by wind and the inability to enjoy the back yard. The views are fantastic though and there is little wind in the Summer/Autumn.

We're planning a move as we have got into a routine and have the opportunity to get on as few family/work ties to the area. Whangarei seemed like a really nice place. Would like a little more space and the opportunity to have a little more disposable income as we have a mortgage here.

Also a keen. though choosy, diver and can'tbe bothered to pack the car full of dive gear to chase a few crayfish. Planning to expand my diving skills into mixed gas and twin tanks which Northland should offer me. The wife want a boat too. Possibly sail too.
Roger
Old Apr 30th 2005, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
I live in Havelock North which is a great place. Really enjoyed the Summer this year but must say that I was becoming a bit sick off the brown hills etc. Liked Northland when we were up in February as it was still lush. We live up the hill in HN and our Winters are typified by wind and the inability to enjoy the back yard. The views are fantastic though and there is little wind in the Summer/Autumn.

We're planning a move as we have got into a routine and have the opportunity to get on as few family/work ties to the area. Whangarei seemed like a really nice place. Would like a little more space and the opportunity to have a little more disposable income as we have a mortgage here.

Also a keen. though choosy, diver and can'tbe bothered to pack the car full of dive gear to chase a few crayfish. Planning to expand my diving skills into mixed gas and twin tanks which Northland should offer me. The wife want a boat too. Possibly sail too.
Roger
Hi Roger I have just seen your reply today.
I know Havelock North ..a very nice place and I can roughly picture where you are on the hill area.
I think if you own a home in Havelock North you will get alot more for your money here if you brought a home.
I sold a house in Tom Parker Ave Napier in 1996 on a 1/8 cross lease/leasehold section for 126,000 and brought a freehold house on a 1/4 acre section in Sept 1996 for 130,000 in Whangarei. I have rented out that house now and we have a lifestyle block. Whangarei Real estate is still lagging a long way behind Hawkes Bay except for the coastal property.
We have had a very dry summer up here in Whangarei too but it always seems to more lush up here due to our usually high summer rainfall..a bit out of character this year though with this drought.
My husband dives and is a keen fisherman..we have a boat..the best fishing he has had is when he goes to the Hen and Chicks.
Bye for now
Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Shazza. See the property prices really flew up in March. Were a few ridiculously priced coastal sections in Tutukaka sold off? May chase you up if I move up there as will need diving buddies.
Roger
Old Apr 30th 2005, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Any views on Whangarei

Originally Posted by Northern Monkey
Hi
Been living in Whangarei for 8 months, not a bad spot depending on what you want.
The town itself is nothing to write home about, plenty shops, supermarkets and most of the big name stores, some fantasic beaches and close enough to Auckland.
If you have any specific questions I will be pleased to answer them.
Have you information about Kaitaia region (Northland). I know it has an airport and good links to top of Northland. I believe unemployment there is high but what about the scenery/ cost of housing/ weather etc. Sorry to ask but am interested in buying that way when I move to NZ as a rental/ holiday home (will be living on South Island.)
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't know where in South Island you're planning to live but it will be expensive to fly from South Island to a holiday home in the Far North. Indeed it would probably be cheaper to fly to a holiday home on the Gold Coast Ozzie!
Roger
Old Apr 30th 2005, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Billie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant futureBillie has a brilliant future

Don't know where in South Island you're planning to live but it will be expensive to fly from South Island to a holiday home in the Far North. Indeed it would probably be cheaper to fly to a holiday home on the Gold Coast Ozzie!
Roger
Christchurch- but hubby is a pilot and hoping to fly Air New Zealand- so might not be too expensive for us??
Old May 1st 2005, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Shazza. See the property prices really flew up in March. Were a few ridiculously priced coastal sections in Tutukaka sold off? May chase you up if I move up there as will need diving buddies.
Roger
Hi Roger
I think some of those sections have sold but there are still plenty left.
I only snorkel..my husband scuba dives.. Im sure he would be interested in having a buddy as he struggles to find one sometimes as he has alot of time off in the summer.He is also happy to have a mate on the boat especially if they are prepared to contribute towards petrol costs.

We have just been to Fiji and the snorkelling was pretty there!!
Regards Shazza
Shazza

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.