Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT-Bringing your Cat to the USA

OT-Bringing your Cat to the USA

Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OT-Bringing your Cat to the USA

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
If we wanted to bring Garry's Cat home with us to the USA this month when we visit the UK, what do we do? What ARE the procedures for this? Do we pay for a plane ticket for the cat? Have never even considered this but what if?
Would the cat qualify for a visa? Has he commited any crimes of moral turpitude? Just kidding.
Hopefully, someone who has done this will respond.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

AndrewAndKathy is an unknown quantity at this point

I was always told about placing pets in quarantene when you tried to move overseas or into the UK i do remember seeing something about a "Pet Passport" which could avoid this too

you could contact one of the companies that offers support for pet travel and ask them about pet immigration

Last edited by AndrewAndKathy; Mar 5th 2005 at 2:55 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If we wanted to bring Garry's Cat home with us to the USA this month when we visit the UK, what do we do? What ARE the procedures for this? Do we pay for a plane ticket for the cat? Have never even considered this but what if?

Depends on the airline. Check the Canadian cultural forum ... there is a long discussion on this from this week ... cost for one kitty is over 700 pounds UK
Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrewAndKathy
I was always told about placing pets in quarantene when you tried to move overseas or into the UK i do remember seeing something about a "Pet Passport" which could avoid this too

you could contact one of the companies that offers support for pet travel and ask them about pet immigration
No quarantine in the US and no passport required either. However, US Customs does have criteria that the pet be innoculated to US standards, i.e. rabies, distemper, feline lukemina, etc. and the airlines want a certification from the vet dated no more than 24 hours before the flight.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287589

Last edited by Rete; Mar 5th 2005 at 3:24 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 3:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few threads about this in the US forum...and as for airlines, check around, some are a lot better than others, someone said virgin were very good with animals...but only flew them into certain airports and certain times of the year...it being winter, probably less of a problem there though
Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:00 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I brought my cat over a year ago. I had her inocculated against rabies but I don't think this is a requirement for the US but it's a wise precaution for your cat. The Center for Disease Control has guidelines.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/faq_animal_importation.htm

The cat has to have a letter or certificate of fitness to travel from your vet 48 hours before he/she flies. The pet passport is if you want to take her back to UK without going into quarantine. DEFRA has a website for that.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

My cat flew on the same flight as me from Manchester to Chicago with BMI. BMI use a carrier (can't remember their name but they will tell you), it cost 290 GBP and I had to take her to the cargo terminal before I went to check in myself. Most major airlines have a section on their website about pet travel and their regulations.

I asked the cabin crew to let me know when she was aboard the plane...which they did , three times! When the plane landed there was an announcement for me to meet someone at the aircraft door who told me where to collect my cat from. She was waiting for me at the customs office being made a big fuss of by the officers there!

My cat is an old lady at 11urs but she travelled very well and has settled in here well also.

I also brought my dog over in 2003 and went with United Airlines. She travelled as excess baggage and there should have been a $50.00 charge but they didn't collect it from us so she travelled for nothing! She also arrived like she had lived here every day.

Hope this helps.

Maggie

Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:09 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hi

I brought my cat over a year ago. I had her inocculated against rabies but I don't think this is a requirement for the US but it's a wise precaution for your cat. The Center for Disease Control has guidelines.
Maggie
I know in '98 when Jim brought his two cats to the US from Canada they had to have their rabies shots before they were given clearance.

Also my daughter took her cat to Vegas with her on Tower back in '98 and it was a $25 charge for under the seat lodging and I brought her back in '00 via TWA and again under the seat lodging and a $25 charge. Both times we needed 24 hour old clearance from the vet before boarding. Both times Cheyenne fared well with the flights and was no problem in flight. The only time she was a problem was when in Vegas she decided the fireplace was to be her new hideaway and then would roll around on the white rug with the soot on her fur. Problem solved with a fireplace guard. Oh and Vegas Vet would not board her while my daughter looked for an apartment until she had a certain innoculation against a tick prevalent in that area which is not found in New York City area.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 5:02 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Perhaps it's best to look at the individual state requirements where the cat will be living, but I'm not sure where that information can be found. The simplest answer is to get the rabies shot and have no problems.

I know what you mean about the fireplace! We have just got a new kitten and she likes to get in the fireplace and get covered in soot and ash (she is pale grey!) so i think we'll be getting a fireguard very soon! My old lady cat, imaginativley called Kitty, is very upset with us for bringing in a youngster. She is slowly getting used to the idea and now that can be within a foot of each other without any hissing! My little dog thinks the kitten is her new puppy and follows her around licking her all over!

Anyway, UK in the USA, good luck if you decide to bring Garry's cat over from Wales. It's not too difficult to do. Which part of Wales is he from? I grew up near Llanelli and Newport.

Maggie

Originally Posted by Rete
I know in '98 when Jim brought his two cats to the US from Canada they had to have their rabies shots before they were given clearance.

Also my daughter took her cat to Vegas with her on Tower back in '98 and it was a $25 charge for under the seat lodging and I brought her back in '00 via TWA and again under the seat lodging and a $25 charge. Both times we needed 24 hour old clearance from the vet before boarding. Both times Cheyenne fared well with the flights and was no problem in flight. The only time she was a problem was when in Vegas she decided the fireplace was to be her new hideaway and then would roll around on the white rug with the soot on her fur. Problem solved with a fireplace guard. Oh and Vegas Vet would not board her while my daughter looked for an apartment until she had a certain innoculation against a tick prevalent in that area which is not found in New York City area.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 6:11 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Hi

Yes I know the area. My mothers family were from Pontllanfraith and Ynysddu. My grandfather and father used to work at Nine Mile Point colliery before I was born.

I never thought I would se the day, but I fly a Welsh flag from outside our house! I've always been proud of my Welsh roots but I seem to have become more so since moving to the US. It's like I'm afraid I'll loose my Welshness even though I haven't lived in Wales since I left home in 1975! My parents, aunts, uncles and cousins all still live there. My kids tell me that whenever I cross the Severn Bridge my accent gets stronger the closer we get to Wales!

Have a great time when you visit. It is definitely one of Britains hidden treasures.

Maggie

He is from Cwmfelifach. Near Newport so you probably know the area. I love it there and am really looking forward to it!