Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptops - Buy in UK or Aus?

Laptops - Buy in UK or Aus?

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

easygroove is on a distinguished road
Default Laptops - Buy in UK or Aus?

Hope to be on our way to Sydney in the next few months. Will be selling our Dell desktop pc in the uk with a view to buying a mid range Dell laptop as a replacement. Is it cheaper to buy in the UK or Aus? Will a uk laptop operate ok in Aus?

ta
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 5:20 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Re: Laptops - Buy in UK or Aus?

Originally Posted by easygroove
Hope to be on our way to Sydney in the next few months. Will be selling our Dell desktop pc in the uk with a view to buying a mid range Dell laptop as a replacement. Is it cheaper to buy in the UK or Aus? Will a uk laptop operate ok in Aus?

ta
I would have thought the laptop would work in OZ...thats why its a laptop and portable...at least I hope so cos Im sat here looking at e bay trying to buy one to tide me over until my proper pc arrives in Oz when we go. I would have thought you would get one cheaper here...But anyone feel free to correct me on any of this stuff,as I'd like confirmation of what I think before I lash out on one...no good to do that if it isnt going to work when i get there eh...
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 5:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

ta
Will work ok in Oz. I think prices are similar UK/Oz, maybe slightly cheaper in the UK. I don't like Dell because of their crap Indian support centre. I think Sony/Toshiba/Fujitsu-Siemens make good laptops.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 7:05 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

dell do have a crappy support structure thats true - but they're good quality so hopefully you wont need to ring them!.

www.dell.com.au for prices in Aus.
www.dell.co.uk for prices in UK

you can compare realtime online. Dell always do offers!.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Dell are releasing a new series of laptops in Feb which will bring down the price of the current models. Dell's are ok but make sure you get 3 years on site support as laptop parts are expensive to replace.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

ta
If you happen to be stopping at Singapore on the way over, I'd get one there (I did) - you'll be hard pushed to get the same cheeper anywhere. (International gaurantee/warranty included)

Scot

Last edited by scotvness; Jan 22nd 2005 at 9:46 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:42 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

What if it needs repairing, if you buy in UK will that mean you have to send it back there to get fixed??? might be worth sussing out.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Siren
What if it needs repairing, if you buy in UK will that mean you have to send it back there to get fixed??? might be worth sussing out.
In my experience Dell's have an international warranty as do some of the big brands but as you say best checked out.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:52 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bondipom
In my experience Dell's have an international warranty as do some of the big brands but as you say best checked out.

If I buy a laptop in Oz and it has a DVD player thing, can I play UK DVD's in oz on it ?

I know DVD are set up for different regions etc but that is about the extent of my knowledge. If you know the answer, I will send you a funny joke.

THANKS
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 10:06 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought an Acer laptop - Intel celeron M 340 processor( 1.5gig 400MhzFSB, 512kb L2 cache), 15.4" widescreen LCD, 40GB HD, 256MB Ram & a DVD rewriter for $1699. Dunno if thats good or not, but in answer to the question about DVD regions, mine actually detects the region & asks if you want to make it the permanent region the first 5 times that you use it. After that, you are restricted to the last (5th) region used. Dont know if all DVDs are the same, or if its just mine though?

(does that make sense? hope so)
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 10:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I just bought an Acer laptop - Intel celeron M 340 processor( 1.5gig 400MhzFSB, 512kb L2 cache), 15.4" widescreen LCD, 40GB HD, 256MB Ram & a DVD rewriter for $1699. Dunno if thats good or not, but in answer to the question about DVD regions, mine actually detects the region & asks if you want to make it the permanent region the first 5 times that you use it. After that, you are restricted to the last (5th) region used. Dont know if all DVDs are the same, or if its just mine though?

(does that make sense? hope so)
You can download a software crack to overcome the 5th region lock. I did & my laptop DVD player is multiregion.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You can download a software crack to overcome the 5th region lock. I did & my laptop DVD player is multiregion.
Depends on the model. If the crack modifies the DVD player's bios then you will have invalidated the warranty. There are a few dodgy bioses out there that have incapacitated DVD players.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 12:38 am
Swiss, in Brisbane

Barbara_CH is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Will work ok in Oz. I think prices are similar UK/Oz, maybe slightly cheaper in the UK. I don't like Dell because of their crap Indian support centre. I think Sony/Toshiba/Fujitsu-Siemens make good laptops.
I bought mine here in Australia, from Dell. Have to say that in my case they offered great support. I had a problem with the DVD drive and 2 days later they came and fixed it! No cost and didn't have to send in the laptop .
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 12:45 am

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...mlld19JRD05ODU

Is the reason the current laptops will come down in price. Basically Centrino V2.